Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:07PM

...as a former member of the outfit, "friends" really meant;

A) "Hey, can you loan me 20 bucks?"
B) "Do you have a truck? I'm moving."
C) "Can you come over? I want to show you something really neat and something you might need!"
D) "The Bishop NEEDS to talk to you."
E) "We are having friends over to talk about the Church...can you help?"
F) "Our neighbors need a new roof...and paint work on their house."
G) "The Stake President is coming on Sunday.......let's make the Ward building REALLY nice for him!"
H) "Can you attend the Baptism on Saturday?...but I know you want to attend your son's baseball game."

yada, yada, yada. Add as needed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 07:24PM

Ha-ha-ha-ha! You nailed it! So funny, and so true!

"I know it's Saturday, and your only day off of work to be with your kids, but I'm singing in sacrament meeting, and need an accompanist. It's a short solo, with a two-page piano introduction and an interlude, that needs to be modulated a little lower, for my range... We can rehearse any time today..."

It has been 7 years, but I still cringe when our old phone rings. (I have a private i-phone, now.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 07:24PM by forestpal.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 09:04PM

C - About the only reason I was ever invited over. Once in a very, very blue moon I got to hang out with my friend inside her home (her Mom's fault), even when her home was organized, yet missionaries and members were allowed over. I never misbehaved either and just wanted to spend time with my friend. I was only invited over frequently for missionary lessons.

F & G - I'm all for helping, especially when it's truly needed, but this kind of help is moving into paid work. I'd save this level of charity for someone with, say, cancer, or for a good friend. The generosity of ward members (strangers) to other members is wonderful, but this is excessive. I'd offer to help clean for a couple hours, but it won't consume my entire day.

H - Just rude. Promoting family time together, yet limitting it when a stranger's "important" baptism happens. It's not mandatory to attend every baptism. I remember this gig. Or "If you missed church, at least you spent time together as a family," implying the church takes first priority at all times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.