Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RS Dropout ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:00PM

So earlier this week, we sent our Bishop asking for a release from our callings and privacy while we determine our future with the church.

Last night he did a visit to our home. He talked to us about questioning our faith and gave us the book, "Letters to a Young Mormon" to read. My husband did a good job staying firm on our position.

I've struggled this week. Sometimes I get so angry at the church for manipulating and using people in the Lord's name. It's hard changing my life's plan, especially for my kids. It sucks having to test each of our friendships with the people in our ward. Luckily our friends have been fully supportive. It is especially horrible to watch our family and friends be so involved in the church that we know they will never leave.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Thank you recovery friends for being there for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MossyBucket ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:04PM

Four times in one night. Sister Hafen, is that you? Bishop Cameover is a bit creepy since I lost the Spirit.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:15PM

It is definitely difficult - I can sympathize. I went through what you're experiencing earlier this year. The problem is that there are no real answers to the church's problems. Just a bunch of different perspectives and the leaders will take whatever sticks with you.

I'm not going to lie... you are going to lose some "friendships". Yes, it is hard. But the question is if you will push this problem on for yet another generation? At some point, the vicious cycle needs to stop. For my DW and myself, we decided to take the hit ourselves for the sake of our kids and live a life rooted in reality... even if that is difficult.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:23PM

That is TO A T, why I left. I was not passing the Kool-Aid to my children.

RS Dropout, you are not a dropout. You woke up and learned better and are now able to spend your time on more important things - things YOU find important! THEY DO NOT DEFINE WHO YOU ARE. Yes, this is a scary time but it is also an exciting time. Go slow! It's a process. Stick together as a family, talk a lot, spend lots of time together. Know there is someone around here pretty much 24/7 and we DO care.

Posted by: MossyBucket ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:27PM

On my Facebook page last month, I posted several disastrous links about new church revelations. Surprising to me, in the next week four of my TBM friends opened up and showed that they have completely assumed the position of laughing at the skyfall of historic debris. My TBM mother, well aware of the family shift that has occurred since the church's slow motion pant removal sighed to me, "I just don't know what to think anymore..."

The Morning Breaks, indeed.

Posted by: abinadi burns nli ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 10:25PM

Very funny about the church's slow motion pant removal. LOL!

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 05:32PM

RS Dropout,

I really like that book and you can hear the author discuss the book and the positions he takes on doctrine at the link below. Really good stuff.

THE CHALLENGE is that no local or general authority leader would agree with the interpretations Adam is expressing. When you read that book and listen to Adam talk you may wish HE was your bishop, or better yet, you may HE was THE PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH.

Sadly, he's not. His positions are too enlightened to be those of the Mormon church. More thinking and less guilt just doesn't resonate with "the brethren."

Check out the John Dehlin podcast interview here:

http://mormonstories.org/adam-miller-letters-to-a-young-mormon/

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 06:27PM

The last time DH and I saw the bishop was at the grocery store. We were buying food and drink for a get together with friends. We had a cart full of beer and wine.

He never came over to give us the "i'm concerned about you" talk. I guess he figured we were too far gone.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: December 01, 2014 10:48PM

When I sent in an email to the Bishop to resign all my positions I told him that I had already contacted 2 Quo. of the 12 with some questions and was totally disappointed with their responses. Therefore, I had no further contact from the Bishop or Stake although the stake tried to get me in an appointment but I told them I had no time to waste on LDS anything anymore.

If you want to see how flaky the Quo. of 12 are on hard questions you can ask a question when you get online and on one of their conference talks. They will not answer any tough questions but instead answer the question you should have asked. Subsequently, you will receive an email from a website that says 'so you are interested in why ..." and refer you to an unofficial website.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.