Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 09, 2014 04:13PM

Got this email today from a complainer who operates on the personal principle that their private religious views take precedence over the rules and regs of the U.S. Constitution.

Under the capitalized subject line, "FAMILY VALUES," the complainer wrote:

"Dear Mr. Benson and 'opinions':

"First, values is an economic term and poorly conveys family 'principles.'. . . [W]hat are some 'family principles?' For starters--there are rules applicable to all. (No one is above the law.) Stealing and lying should receive retribution. . . .

"The Christian mores now rejected by this country, replaced by Humanism, has led to the embracing of lawlessness and debauchery. Conditions will get worse.

"PS America’s malaise typifies the ancient proverb: 'The way of the wicked is like darkness, they know not over what they stumble.'"
____

My response:

"My opinion does not agree with your opinion, regardless of your attempt to play your religious trump card when Civics 101 facts fail you.

"Speaking of which, the Treaty of Tripoli--initially negotiated beginning in March 1795 during the term of President George Washington and ultimately ratified by the U.S. Senate in Novermber 1796 during the term of President John Adams (thus making it the still-standing law of the land under the terms of the U.S. Constitution, Article II, Section 2, Clause 2)--states unequivocally in Article 11 of said treaty that 'the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.'

"I’ll go with the Founders on this, leaving it to you to ignore our founding document in an attempt to make your unfounded point.

"Thanks for writing."

_____

I then sent along a P.S., noting that I had made a couple of timeline errors in my original email:

"While the Treaty of Tripoli was signed in November 1796 (during George Washington's second term), it was not actually submitted for ratification by the US Senate until the summer of 1797 (and done so by-then-president John Adams). The treaty was subsequently ratified by the Senate on June 7, 1797. Just keeping the historical record straight."

Special thanks to RfM poster "nonamekid" for spotting my errors. ( http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1454270,1454604#msg-1454604 ) As they say, "Haste makes for historical chase."

:)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 02:23AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: December 09, 2014 04:22PM

Great response!
Do these lunatics seriously think that by writing to you they'll succeed in putting the fear of the Almighty in your heart?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 09, 2014 04:25PM

Is concise, persuasive writing a violation of Mormon doctrine? I'm gonna have to ask my pen pal Mike Ash about this.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 09, 2014 04:37PM

"The Christian now mores rejected by this country..."

mores: folkways of central importance accepted without question and embodying the fundamental moral views of a group.

Translation of his rant: I never questioned owning dark-skinned people as property because they were cursed, or not giving homosexuals the legal rights of other human beings, because I'm too lazy and stupid to think for myself. And there's no reason for you to question them either, you humanist scum!

As for "lawlessness," please point out to him that crime rates are at nearly all-time lows.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 09, 2014 10:54PM

John Adams was not president in 1796. He was elected in November of 1796, but was not inaugurated until March 4, 1797.

The Treaty with Tripoli was signed in November of 1796 (during Washington's second term) in Tripoli, but was not submitted for ratification by the US Senate until the summer of 1797 (by John Adams) - sailing ships took a while! It was ratified by the Senate on June 7, 1797.

Date: December 10, 2014 01:51AM

. . . then ratified under Adams' presidency the following year.

Sincere thanks. (That's what I get for reading too quickly). I appreciate your good catches--ones, unfortunately, which these Bible thumpers wouldn't appreciate anyway (although I did send along to them a note with the appropriate corrections).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 02:12AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 12:09AM

The guy is a Grade A douchebag, but at least he's an educated and articulate db. Which is refreshing to me, actually. Most of the yahoos, gonzos and bozos who pen such comments demonstrate that they quit learning around the 4th grade, as review of, say, Deseret News comments shows.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 10, 2014 12:24AM

this self-appointed historical know-it-all again. It ought to be amusing.

Date: December 10, 2014 01:59AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1454270,1454604#msg-1454604

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 02:12AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.