Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 08:00PM

I have seen another thread develop on God and atheism. http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1457444 I also believe I saw some posts earlier this week on the former Wisconsin head football coach, Gary Andersen, quitting a five-year contract after two years to take a "lesser" job at Oregon State. Here is an ESPN report and i'll be adding the video soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/82010/andersen-has-no-doubt-oregon-state-is-the-right-fit

Which God is talking to him and how can those of us that are trying to co-exist and trust people like this man, or presidents, or family members when they put forward that they make critical decisions that impact others because "I believe" they have "been told" to do something.

What is that kind of morality and how and why do others have to tolerate, let alone respect that kind of approach to life.

Is it not mysticism and is it not impossible?

This man believes he had inspiration from all of our God to walk away from commitments and contracts. I believe the world has many, many people that impose this way of thinking upon us every day.

By the way I am quite confident this man is LDS. He was head coach at Utah St., former assistant coach at Utah, his son just got back from an LDS mission and has committed to play football for BYU and......

"He believes"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 08:03PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 08:24PM

Joseph Smith claimed "god" told him all sorts of things, none of which could be attributed to any "god" by any evidence, and a great many of which are proven false by ample evidence.

Mohammed claimed "god" told him all sorts of things, none of which could be attributed to any "god" by an evidence, and a great many of which are proven false by ample evidence.

I could go on and on, with literally millions of other examples, but just those two should serve to make the point.

When people say "God told me this," what they're really saying is, "I came up with this, and for any number of irrational and dishonest reasons, I'm claiming it came from an imaginary god."

Date: December 13, 2014 09:21PM

Yes. These are examples of men that speak with God and then tell about.

The example I am giving shows that in the present we have to deal with these people too. Go to 19:15 of this video and give it a few seconds. He was told where to Go and he of course Goes where The Lord wants him to Go and Does what the Lord wants him to Do. We get to find that out through him, as did his boss, his players, his assistant coaches.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/12/watch_gary_andersen_introduced.html

Is this crap to other believers, or do you take this man seriously that there is a god telling him what to do? Perhaps people can understand the burden they impose on others to be respectful of this kind of talk and living. It makes no sense other than that it is Selfish!

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 09:39PM

Well, I do feel comfortable with the idea of the existence of a sort of god, but not the sort that most people seem to think of. However, I also am pretty sure that most people who hear a god telling them what to do are really hearing themselves giving themselves permission to do what they really wanted to do themselves.

Date: December 13, 2014 10:51PM

That's part of the conversation I would like to see develop.

Those who fear, love, feel, believe, suspect, worship a god.

Tell us about how to deal with people that have a god who talks to them and tells them stuff and often times that stuff is selfish and good for them and not selfless and bad for them.

Talk about those people and are you one of them?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.