Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:38PM

For any who still pray and those who beleive in positive thoughts, I ask for support for the families of the hostages killed and those injured yesterday in a seige in Sydney. Also for support for the other hostages who are suffering terrible trauma.

WE are in shock here and have had a 24 hours like no other. A mentally ill Muslim man took the hostages in a cafe in the centre of Sydney yesterday morning. 17 hours later it ended with the death of 3 hostages and injury of 4 others, including one of the police officers who stormed the cafe after shots rang out. According to some reports (unconfirmed at this point) one hostage was killed when he tackled the gunman.

Thankyou for your support, it is appreciated at such a shocking time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:44PM

Sydney and all of Australia must be in shock.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:44PM

It is very sad... My thoughts are with you.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:46PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:48PM

"A mentally ill Muslim man took the hostages"

How do we know the man was mentally ill? Muslims are attacking and killing non-Muslims all over the world at any given time. Are all of those Muslims mentally ill, too?

Or, are they just sane people who follow an insane religion?

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:00PM

+1

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:05PM

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:13PM

The hostage taker was identified after the siege ended so tragically in his death and that of several of the hostages.

According to his former lawyer he not only had mental problems, but was facing charges of being an accomplice to his ex wife's murder as well as having up to 40 sexual assault charges pending. He had also been convicted of sending hate letters to the families of Australian servicemen who had been killed in Afghanistan.

From what I can gather, he acted alone not as a representative of any terrorist group.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:17PM

Calling people like this mentally ill annoys me. Like how they call all the mass shooters that too. It makes it seem as if they're good people that the public should feel bad for. Like they just have to kill innocent people. Most mentally ill people don't do stuff like this. I just think they're jerks who don't deserve respect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 06:20PM by 48erhater.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 02:19AM

He sounds like psycho or sociopath.

Posted by: Starry... ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:50PM

You have my condolences too, flutist as well as your countrymen.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 05:56PM

Condolences, Fluhist, and to the wonderful people of Australia! You, the people of Sydney, and all affected by terrorism and violence are in our thoughts and prayers. The very best of Australia will be shown as you come together as a nation and people to love and support each other. BYU Boner.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:37PM

Thank you Boner and all the other posters who have expressed their support and condolences at this very sad event.

One good thing that has come out of this dreadful situation is that Australians all over the country have banded together under the hashtag #illridewithyou. They are offering to walk with, give lifts to or ride with muslims or anyone else wearing religious garb who may be afraid to use public transport at this time. This is a wonderful demonstration of Australian mateship and tolerance at its very best.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:00PM

fluhist,

You are such a sweet, sweet poster. I'll pray for you and your country. I just started praying again this Christmas season since 2 close family members have been at death's door.

It's interesting to me how shocked you are by the horrible tragedy in Sydney. Scenarios like that play out on a regular basis across the American landscape. We hardly notice anymore. I wonder what that says about our society?

(((hugs)))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 06:02PM by shannon.

Date: December 15, 2014 06:06PM

Thankyou SO much for your support everyone. I am touched and very grateful.

randyj, in this case he WAS mentally ill. He was known to police and there is definately a situation to answer that he was out on bail when this tragedy occurred at his hand. He undoubtedly wrapped his illness around his religion, that is common. I am NOT defending him, what he did was TOTALLY indefensible, but I simply stated a fact. I don't want to be one to spread hate, especially when hate has caused these deaths and the suffering we are all going through here, not to mention the hostages and their families. This was one extemist. There are plenty more I know, but there are lot of lovely, peaceful Muslims too, for whom I hold great fear if hatred spreads. They have suffered terribly too at the hands of extemists in their own countries. They seek peace in Australia, and I want see that happen. Above all I don't want to see an sort of repeat of what happened yesterday. I realise I am being unrealistic in this deep deep hope, but as I hurt today, I can think of little else.

Thankyou so much to all.

Date: December 15, 2014 06:14PM

Hello Shannon,

Yes I thought of what you said, that there are so many terrible things that happen in the US (not forgetting 9/11) and we are shocked by what, to you, must be a small happening. We have been placed, since September, on high alert for terrorism, the first time in many years here Probably since 9/11. That is unusual for us. My heart has gone out to you in the US so many times, and I know how it hurts. When oh when will be stop killing and hurting each other? I have no answers, as no one else does. WE simply must grieve and do what we can to prevent further tragedy.

I hope your relatives are doing better Shannon.

Thankyou for caring about us here. And that goes for all of you, and yes Boner, I am sure that good will come out of this somewhere. I appreciate the thoughts of all of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 06:26PM by fluhist.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 10:40PM

"randyj, in this case he WAS mentally ill."

Oh, I definitely agree with that. But my question is, was he any more mentally ill than any other Muslim terrorists who have committed atrocities over the last half-century or so? Was he any more mentally ill than the Munich Olympics killers? Or the Achille Lauro hijackers? Or the Chechnyan Muslims who murdered all those schoolchildren a few years ago? Or the 9/11 hijackers who killed 3000 people as well as themselves? Or Hasan Nidal, the Fort Hood shooter who called himself a "soldier of Allah" and shouted "Allah Akbar" while gunning down 33 of his fellow USAF officers? Or the Tsarnaev brothers in Boston? Or the Muslim in Ottawa who ran over the cop? Or any of the hundreds of other Muslims who have strapped bombs to themselves and blown themselves up in public places, killing thousands of others in the process?

Were all of those Muslims perfectly sane and rational?

"there are lot of lovely, peaceful Muslims too, for whom I hold great fear if hatred spreads."

I have about a dozen Muslim customers---some for 14 or 15 years now---and they're all pretty much normal, decent people who just want to have a good life in America. I'm not aware of any reports of "hatred spreading" or revenge being planned against any peaceful, law-abiding Muslims. It would be horribly stupid if that was to happen. Sure, there will always be a few wingnuts in places like America and Australia who ignorantly believe that we should get rid of all such foreigners, but I'm not aware of any acts of violence reported against anyone just because they're Muslims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 10:40PM by randyj.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:19PM

I hate it when another person takes another's life, forever changing the victims destiny and all others connected to the victim. I will pray for the victims and their families.

Date: December 15, 2014 06:40PM

SO glad to hear this silvergenie, I wasn't aware of it. Yes we do SO need to separate the extemists from the ordinary Muslims in our midst today especially. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:58PM

A violent dirtbag hiding behind a religious standard. That's new.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 06:59PM

Fluhist, I am so sorry that this happened to all of our friends across the (very big) pond. This story led our evening news and I can tell you that we have definitely been following it in the U.S. We are so sorry that this happened to your countrymen. Driving home I was thinking how my impression of Australians overall is of a very happy people, and what a shame this tragedy is. I hope that the wounded people recover well. I understand that one of the police officers was wounded in the abdomen just under his safety vest. My heart goes out to him. Our thoughts are with you. (((Hugs))) to our Australian friends.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 07:07PM

My daughter and her husband are on their way to Sidney. I'm not sure they're aware of what is happening, but likely are. I know that Australians are being urged to go about their business and not to fear. I also know that these kinds of things are very rare for Australia. It's all so sad.

Posted by: Starry.... ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 07:08PM

My deepest condolences to you and your countryman, this is such a sad thing to happen right before Christmas.

Date: December 15, 2014 07:54PM

I am glad to see the beginning of what MUST be a very sincere debate about all the elements in this tragedy. Everything must be examined and decisions made to help prevent further tragedy.

For me today, it is simply about getting my feelings out and knowing there is support for me and all Australians. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that, with my special thanks to Eric and SusanI/C for a forum that facilitates that.

Like many Australians I went to bed last night with a heavy feeling inside me, and a prayer for all who were still in the hands of a mad gunman. I did not sleep well, but woke to the terrible news of death. I did not know what was happening during the day yesterday and spent a nice couple of hours putting up Christmas decorations in my home. This added to the poignancy of the situation for me.

I have cried as I have read your sympathetic posts, and I needed to cry. SO I thank you for that.

Devoted exmo, please be assured your daughter and her husband will be safe. Our police and security officers have done an amazing job of keeping us safe. But I think all Australians knew it was only a matter of time before something terrible happened. Our troops are in the Arab countries, along with those of many American troops (and others). Reprisal was almost inevitable. Our nightmares became real this morning, with the news of loss of life.

My thanks to all, and may the peace of Christmas, in whatever form we care to beleive it, find its place into our hearts.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 08:09PM

Thanks for the reassurances. I actually believe my daughter is safer in Australia than here. Gun safety is a real problem, although crime overall is down here in the US.

And Happy Christmas to all our friends Down Under. And peace to you and yours. My heart goes out to the family of those harmed and killed.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 10:47PM

Such a sad event. I will keep all of you in my thoughts. I am sorry for everyone who experienced this event.

Posted by: anonAnglo ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:00PM

This time last week I was crying with the Aussies as I listened to Phillip Hughes' funeral on the radio overnight. Yesterday I cried buckets reading the #illridewithyou tweets.

The man was mentally ill, one of those who can appear anywhere at anytime and inflict pain. I even feel sorry today for the judge who bailed him recently. He/she will be in agony.

Australia is a great place and Aussies are my favourite folk on earth. Just like Port Arthur, you will grieve and then bounce back. Please accept my condolences for the grief and sadness.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:09PM

Australis has very strict gun controls.

Where did he get the gun and what kind of gun was it ?

Posted by: BoydFromOz ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 02:16AM

Shotgun by all reports

Australia is incredibly safe, aside from every animal that wants to eat you in or out of the water.

This guy was a violent criminal rather than a terrorist

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:12PM

Fluhist, my heart is with you as well.

The randomness of these terror attacks leaves us all feeling helpless to prevent them. Perhaps we should start thinking of sanctions for religions who include death as an acceptable punishment for others.

Spending time with animals helps grief and shock. This I know--and you have your cute sheep!

Best,

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: BoydFromOz ( )
Date: December 16, 2014 02:18AM

As in, like Mormons and Christians.

Or people controlling drones that fire missiles?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:18PM

I have not heard any muslims world wide condemn this man.
Is their silence tacit approval ?

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:35PM

Fluhist, so much sympathy to all Australians from us in Canada, and especially to those held hostage, the injured victims and the ones who lost their lives. So much fear and now, sorrow - it will not be an easy recovery.
As you may remember, we in Canada experienced a similar event recently, and I can relate to feeling the loss of the sense of security that my country, and yours, have been lucky enough to enjoy up until now.
Australia has been in my thoughts all day, and will continue to be.

Date: December 15, 2014 11:47PM

Thankyou again to you all.

Yes Dave there has been total condemnation by the Islamic community here. They have sent out press releases condemning what has happened and also the use of Islamic flags during the ordeal. The whole situation has caused shock waves throughout Australia, including the Islamic community. The gunman was on bail after being charged with his ex-wife's murder, and there is outrage from her family as well. I agree that the judge who gave him bail must be suffering and may well face some sort of consequence.

There was one ex-Sydney extremist said some horrible things on media (he is in Syria or somewhere similar), but I personally choose to ignore such comments.

As to the gun, that question will have to be answered. You are right of course, it is not easy to get guns in Australia, and if you have them you are licenced and the police would have full knowledge of you. With his history this man would NEVER have got a licence. There is not a lot of information being released by the police, understandably, they must be very busy. They have also said that the surviving hostages are very traumatised and it will take time to get a clear picture of what happened.

The photographs of the two people killed (other than the gunman) have been released, a man and woman in their 30s. He apparently tackled the gunman when he saw him dozing off, and is now dead. She was a lawyer and a wife and mother of 3 children. That is a heartache, three little ones without their Mum.

Kathleen, you are SO right, and I will cuddle my cat and talk to my sheepie 'boys' until I feel better. Thankyou for your, as always, welcome thoughts!!

With my love, Lynn

Date: December 15, 2014 11:52PM

Thankyou looking in, that means a great deal to me! I was horrified to see what happened in Canada too. To see Mounties, who are amazingly well trained with their weapons running with guns drawn made my blood run cold. I felt SO bad for the young man killed, and yes here we are again with police with with drawn guns and more young people dead. It is a crazy world.

Please have a lovely white Christmas over there, and thankyou again!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.