Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: colorado ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:38PM

I have pondered this subject a lot in my life and for me, helping others does make me feel better. During this time of giving, I reflect on it again, from a different perspective.
My own life experience has proven to me that as I extend myself beyond the boundaries of my own self interests, not only do I feel better, but I also help others feel better as we make our way in our own journey. It happens professionally as a physican, in my marriage, with my kids and my friends. It is also apparent when I give selflessly to those I do not know.

Now, to the real point of this post...does doing what the LDS church says is good and right make me feel better?
-Did I feel better when I wrote that check at tithing settlement this time every year? Ah...NO!
-Did I feel better when I went to the temple to spend hours of my day? Ah...NO!
-Did I feel better spending hours and hours a week not only attending my meetings, but also fulfilling my callings? Ah...NO!

So, how can it be that I feel better when I am helping others - even to this day, but never felt good or better when I did the things that the cult said was necessary to enter heaven? (Insert retorical question mark here)

I love these existential moments of self actualization...to continue my process of putting the pieces together in my life the way I see them - not as how someone/something says they should be.

Best to you all today!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:44PM

I know that money and goods we donate to charities make us feel good and I enjoyed every hour I volunteered in the service of persons with developmental disabilities.

Ron Burr

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:47PM

I get a charge out of fighting against the status quo. Sometimes I think that is the source of my feeling good about doing good.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:48PM

It's called "elevation". It's a response to beauty, moral action and such. Of course, where morals are not universal, there are those who feel elevation for things you do not.

It's what the church calls 'the spirit'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:53PM

I do what I do, but man, it sure hocks me off when someone blabs what I do. I don't do it for prestige. It's just the human/e thing to do. And what REALLY pissed me off when I used to take a senior citizen Sunday dinners. I got wind that some of my wonderful ward members were saying that since I don't go to church on Sundays, I must be sinning.

Posted by: don'twanttosoundbraggy ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 02:57PM

Yes. It definitely does make me feel better. I did five things today for other people that gave me a really great feeling. It was like a tonic for me. Seeing people's happy faces is like a reward. I'm no saint though, if someone was an ungrateful grabber I wouldn't be too thrilled about doing them any more favours. I'm not much like Jesus am I!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 03:01PM

I always feel better when I get outside of myself and look to help those in need, materially or otherwise.

But it only works when I do it of my own free will and don't feel pressured or guilted into it.

For me, my intent has to be real and genuine.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:50PM

I find it helps to make me 'get out' of myself. It is GREAT boost if you are having a bad day to go and visit someone or just have a chat to someone on the street. If you can listen to their troubles, enjoy their happinesses, it is a wonderful way to put things in your own life into perspective.

One thing, I really don't like to 'trumpet' what I have done. To me, it is a give and take thing, and while I am happy to acknowledge that many people do a lot of good, I prefer not to have it pushed in my face. Am I making sense here?

I actually like the whole premise of "magnificent obsession", that a wonderful deed done is secret is powerful in its own right.

Yes I definately do think that 'doing good' can make you feel better.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:37PM

As I was filling my water jugs at the corner store a moment ago, I heard a lady's voice from behind asking me for 30 cents to get herself some chicken and fries.

Seeing as how I had just dropped all my coinage into the h2o machine, before I blew her off, I reconsidered.

I quickly surmised that her modest request spoke well of her sincerity so I contributed a fiver to my favorite charity......one with a simple eye to eye distribution process and 0% operational overhead.

If it makes ya feel good, just do it!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:42PM

We are all connected, all a different part (individuals) of the same thing (maybe that's what we as humans refer to God, nature, reality) so we feel good when we do kind things for our - "others" - selves.

I love being myself, being able to choose - the right, the left, and the middle, if that's what I want - what to do with my energy, and my time, and my personality, not to mention a bunch of my cash.

It feels good (doing good) because you are being yourself, you are choosing, you are in the moment.

Great reflections op. Happy days

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.