Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:38PM

I just went to the liquor store for the very first time. That's a little weird, because I'm sixty seven years old. It was not what I expected. I'm not quite sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. I'm in Utah, so it's a state run liquor store. I've seen the liquor section in a California grocery store, but this was like that on steroids. It was bigger than a discount shoe store. There were five or six checkout stands. People were pushing shopping carts around the isles. I stood in the Vodka section wondering if I should buy Smirnoff or Grey Goose, or some other brands I'd never heard of. It was overwhelming! I was glad that I had asked my daughter what kind of liquor to buy before I went. She suggested Vodka because you can make lots of different drinks with it. How do you decide what kind of liquor you like?

My next great adventure is going to be the Tanner Bookstore.

I'm reminded of a line in the movie Mame. "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-a-bitches are starving to death". Yep, that would be me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:43PM

Patron Anejo tequila is some killer stuff. Pour in a glass and sip it. It is really good, but be careful because it can sneak up on you.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:51PM

I agree with your daughter. Vodka is probably a good place to start as you can mask it easier than some spirits.

I live in wine country and drink more wine than anything else...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:10PM

Stay away from Vodka...especially for first timers...just my opinion..

Light white wines, wine coolers and sweet mixed drinks to start with...

Posted by: reawakening ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:52PM

I got the book "The twelve bottle Bar" and tells what brands are the best and has recipes for classic and not so classic drinks. It also gives advise on how to start with just 3 bottles. Super helpful!

Enjoy your new adventure!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:56PM

A couple of points;
Utah liquor stores are bigger than CA grocery stores because all CA grocery stores sell liquor vs. 1 State store for 100,000 people in Sandy,UT. Next, check out the BIG liquor stores in other states like Bev-Mo in CA, or Specs in TX. More like a Walmart. Really, UT liquor stores have limited selection, no cold beer & super high prices.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 07:59PM

Jack Danials
Jim Beam
Southern Comfort
Makers Mark
Crown Royal

Irish whiskey:
Jameson
Bushmill

Puerto Rico Rums:
Don Q
Blackbeard

Regular rum:
Bacardi

Find a good scotch to sip on over ice. Another is to take any of the top five I listed place ice in a glass, two ounces of liquor and fill with coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 08:04PM by scmormon.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:36PM

good rum is quite good.

Appleton's.

Barbencourt.

expensive sipping rum is simply fabulous.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:00PM

Welcome to your new adventure. :) It takes time -- don't feel overwhelmed.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:19PM

+1

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:05PM

I don't know much about alcohol, but they are always willing to make recommendations.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:19PM

There is so much out there, no one can know everything. Not sure what kind of help you can get at a State Store, but elsewhere, where its a free market you can select a shop that has more personal service. With respect to Vodka's I get plain Smirnoff to mix with Coke, orange juice, Diet Mtn Dew, whatever. There are a bazillion flavored and pricey brand named versions now a lot didn't exist 5 years ago, so I skip all that as a fad for the young'uns.

Wine is very much a personal taste. Hopefully you can go somewhere where they have wine tasting and learn what you like.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:19PM

Grey Goose

Posted by: bornagainpagan ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:34PM

Splurge and buy the High West made in Park City. The American Prairie reserve blended bourbon is mighty fine on ice.

Date: December 18, 2014 08:49PM

See unlike liquor stores in Utah, in other parts of the U.S. have liquor stores as well most of them are defined as party shops, Red Dot stores, or even go as far as sell in Grocery stores (Kroger, Walmart).

Posted by: uglyties ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 08:51PM

How to decide on what kind of liquor you like? Trial and error.

I remember ordering the same thing over and over because I didn't know any better. Jameson's on the rocks with a twist became my thing (because a colleague used to order it). It was pretty good and sounded sophisticated.

I found that Captain Morgan and Coke was delightful (kinda tastes like root beer). Vodka & tonic water with fresh lime is really good, providing you use a good mid-level vodka. Same with gin & tonic. As with most things, the mid to higher priced booze is often much better than the cheap stuff.

I am now a bit of a bourbon snob,and love a little Bulliet Bourbon on the rocks.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:10PM

We found a great rum - Diplomatico. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. Add a bit of coke or just ice and it is a great drink.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:16PM

If you're going to use the vodka for mixed drinks, the cheapest will do. Nuances of flavor will be obliterated by the other items in the mix. Besides, blind taste tests show few vodka fans can tell their favorite (and usually high priced) brand from a pack of others.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:19PM

They should have little travel sizes, around an ounce or so each. Great way to try lots of different alcohols.

Fireball whiskey is delicious. Taste JUST like a fireball.

Date: December 18, 2014 09:23PM

That is a great suggestion, but, alas, this is Utah. No mini bottles.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 09:21PM

I read it as sixteen years old at first. I was so confused wondering how you got in to buy liquor.

Date: December 18, 2014 09:24PM

I wish I was sixteen, what I couldn't do with a do over without TSCC.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 10:44PM

When I was sixteen...and had a bootlegger buying my booze....it was all about the cheapest stuff. Now at 66, I've developed a taste for craft beer, dark rum (Appleton's VX), and single malt scotch (any of the Balvenie's). My wife likes vodka...on the rocks. Try a "screwdriver" vodka/orange juice....or rum and coke.

Ron Burr

Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 04:51AM

I'm five months new to alcohol. I hated the taste of alcohol at first, but after trying different types...I love vodka and cranberry juice, vodka and pink lemonade is one I created and it's so good!! Vodka and orange juice is good stuff as well. I love pina coladas and margaritas, any type of fruitier drink since again not a big fan of alcohol on its own. However I do like spiced rum and flavored smirnoff, that stuff is strong but so good. Hate beer and wine, just can't get past the taste unfortunately. :/ good luck and be sure to drink water and eat before :).

Date: December 19, 2014 05:40AM

Ok folks if you want something to really go after try this

Take a watermelon and cut a triangle out of it, save for the last step

Take a bottle of vodka and place it in the hole

Once empty discard bottle

Place the triangle cutout back

Chill for 2 hrs

Cut and enjoy with your friends

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 05:50AM

A moderately priced and extremely smooth vodka is Tito's Handmade Vodka. I really like it in orange juice.

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: December 19, 2014 12:46PM

You just have to try different drinks. When I started to drink I bought Coors beer (first and last time I did that). Then I went to the liquor store and bought way better beer. I'm in Utah too so that's the only place to buy good beer. Then I went through a rum phase (usually rum and coke). Then I discovered I liked vodka drinks better, e.g. White Russian, Screwdriver, Bloody Mary. They even have better names. Right now I'm on red wine mostly. So try things, some you'll like and some you won't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.