Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 12:22AM

Coming home from work I saw to missionaries on bicycles in the driving rain (big storms today and tornado watch). They were driving along Belair Ave on their bikes while the rain was falling in torrents. It was darkish and exceedingly gloomy. They were wearing overcoats but were soaked to the skin. If I hadn't been on the other side of a 5-lane highway I would have offered to throw their bikes in my truck and drive them to their destination. Poor wee bairns. They looked like drowned rats. One of those rare times I had pity and not bitchiness toward the guys. It is, after all, Christmas, Bob Cratchit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 12:26AM

see that is nice that you would have done that. It really sucks that they have to "work" anyway. We are in Utah getting a storm in a few hours I truly hope they are not required to go out tomorrow during that, until the afternoon and then to a ncie warm dinner.

It isn't safe at all either!!! How can they be seen??

One of my son's friend told me the other day he is thinking about going on a mission. God no!!! He is actively sleeping with his girlfriend regularly so I hope that negates his dream of service.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:07AM

ya that's one of the scariest things about missionaries is the fanatical use of bicycles day or night in all kinds of weather in any kind of road condition.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Here is Utah we are very bike friendly in designing roads with large shoulders. But most states don't have near as nice of roads as Utah. Which makes biking very dangerous.

Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:33AM

;) ......Here it goes....I think some parts are...the two areas I was in weren't. I was in Kearns with three big hills (killed my legs) I walked most of the time (beautiful weather and quiet little neighborhood :) and my other area was along redwood road? It was so busy with traffic that my skirt would blow up, my bike would wobble (it was too tall for me) and I'd almost eat it. One day I did, and skidded hard into the gravel, my knee got torn up and bleeding, and while I sat there crying, my companion and I counted 36 cars that passed us by (yea for the members!) not a single person stopped until the help we called arrived, then one car did. After that, my knee got infected, my mission president's idiot wife said that was normal... :/ And had to be put on antibiotics after fighting her on it. She was a bitch. Anyways :) That's my two cents lol :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:52AM

How awful that their church and local supervisors don't care about them enough to help them avoid such a nasty situation.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:26AM

the current elders have a cake walk (CAKE WALK) compared to what was expected of me several decades ago !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhnJ6Om-p4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYUTHtte74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYUTHtte74

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.