Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 12:08AM

DH and I wanted to take the local mishies (who are sweet kids) to breakfast at a very local, VERT New Mexican place for breakfast on Christmas Eve-Eve morning.

You should have seen then scarf away the breakfast!

They know I am an apostate, and I have seen the question in their eyes many times, so I explained that the missionaries came into my life at precisely the time that I needed them, and that while the just just isn't for me, I have had a soft spot in my heart for mishies ever since.

I brought along a Christmas card from the mish who confirmed me. He and his wife were sealed in the temple, had 6 kids (3 of whom are now in missions - good thing Dad's a wealthy surgeon!) and living the life of a perfect Ensign family. Dad is now a bishop!

Not a drop of sarcasm in my voice. I have been fond of this young man (the now-surgeon) since he taught me. In a way, he helped save my life, because at that time, I was very close to ending it.

So I showed the photo to these kids and said, "This could be you in 30 years, looking back on how many people you have helped. Just keep it in mind."

So we bought their breakfast, as well as tee shirts from the restaurant that celebrated the season in festive local style, and wished them a wonderful Christmas. One of them tried to hide it, but he had tears in his eyes.

It's nice, being past my rabid "anti" days, being able to share the goodwill of the season with these youngsters who are so far away from home and family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 12:35AM

Catnip, thanks for posting this. I want to be just like you when I grow up! (Aw, gee, for all I know I'm already older than you!) :)

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:01AM

That was really great. They will always remember that.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:03AM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:56AM

Catnip, you are a sweetie!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 04:18AM

Why am I not surprised that you did this my friend? This is a lovely thing to do and you did what comes naturally.

A very Happy and peaceful Christmas to you and your family - I raise a glass to you today.

Hugs

Briggy

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 04:25AM

That was really nice! What a lovely treat for those guys. Your kind gesture will be among their best memories of their mission experiences.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 01:59PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:14PM

I hope someone nice like you takes my grandson out for a meal. He is homesick as this is his first Christmas out on his mission.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:21PM

That's something those missionaries will always remember.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:25PM

The true Christmas spirit, right there catnip.

They won't forget the kindness. I am with you on having a soft spot for the mishies. I am trying to repent of making their lives harder with my brash questions.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the reminder.

Kathleen

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:51PM

"One of them tried to hide it, but he had tears in his eyes."

He (probably both of them, to some degree or another) was so happy he wasn't able to control his emotions - tears of joy [this happens to me too when I feel elevated by a powerful, moving experience]. Some would call it moved by the Spirit: the caring Great spirit catnip! For others, it is a way of showing gratitude - thankful, probably home sick, in a way, and astounded at the consideration he too surely strives for. He probably hasn't had feelings like that come out in a while. This is the "Christ-like"ness he, and many the world over, strives for. (feed my sheep... and clothe them too)

Being KIND is so simple yet so profound.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:09PM

I applaud your sweet, authentic, kindness. Recognition and appreciation and gratitude for everything in our lives is so powerful. You gave of your best to people who needed it.
That is what the holiday is all about, in my view.

The happiest days are always the ones when I let go of negativity of any sort. It's such a downer and hides so many wonderful experiences just waiting for us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.