Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 01:15AM

Re: Emeritus General Authority Pensions

I wonder because Gordon Hinckley's son, Richard was appointed to the Seventy when he was 64 years old in 2005. He's in for 6 years, and is granted Emeritus status in 2011 when he's 70.

That's a sweet deal if it's true.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikemgc ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 03:26AM

Yeah, I have an idea. The morgue sits right in the middle of all fortune 500 companies. They exempt themselves from any reporting on their finances. It's about as freaking ambiguous as can be unless you're a reporter who isn't in Bonneville Communications that not only holds a huge sway on the Western US, they also have made inroads into silencing their media brothers on the eastern half of the US.

So, unless someone on the inside can really come in and blow their secrecy wide open, we sit on the outside...speculating. So...here's my speculation.

I don't necessarily think it's like most of them get some kind of stipend although I wouldn't rule that out in the least. I like to think that it's more like them having a checkbook filled with blank checks and they can write their own ticket. They have taken away all rights to any individual ward to take the money they have coming in anymore. Instead, Bishops and Wards have to send in all the tithings and fast offerings and the upper echelons of the corporation have total control and secrecy over all finances.

Think about it. Does Monson or former Pres Hinckly have to take care of their rent? No...someone else in the finance department probably does it for them. Do they have to worry about taking a trip to the far east to walk around and wave a hankey at the next temple dedication? No, I don't think so. I think they just say they wanna go here, live there, travel here or their, have a steak for dinner and whatever they want they get. Why would they burden themselves with some kind of stipend or budget? I'm sure the lower you go down the chain there are more rules and regulations. But a stipend? I don't think so...not in my mind. But I may be wrong...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 03:34AM

Which callings are eligible to be designated emeritus? (Any?)

How long must you have the calling to qualify for emeritus status?

Does the pension, if there is one, vary with number of years served?

So, whether there is a pension or not and how much it is are answers we really don't have, not that that stopped you from assuming it exists and is large.

More relevant, whether or not there is a pension is an HR policy decision and has no connection to whether Mormonism is a fraudulent con game.

Date: December 24, 2014 05:02PM

Brother of Jerry:

Once again, why so touchy?

Given that AnointedOne has informed us that the 1st Quorum of the Seventy receive their "modest living allowance" for life, as well as their health benefits,I guess it's a REALLY good deal.

How many other jobs do you put in 6 years and get $100,000.00 plus a year and health benefits for life? Please point me in the right direction.I know the example I used is not the norm, but I think the practice says a lot about the church's management culture (just my opinion).These same guys then tell people that are in retirement they need to pay for the privilege of continuing to work as "senior missionaries". Pay for the privilege of spending their own money that they have already tithed 10% on to work for an organization that apparently splurges and takes care of its top dogs very well indeed.

I guess this is where I disagree with you when you mention that pensions are an "HR decision" (Uh, who oversees Church HR!?). I would also suggest that a religious organization that assures that it's leadership live in comparative luxury and security whiles opining that it's "God's Will" that senior missionaries should compromise their financial well being by paying to work for the church speaks volumes about whether or not the organization really is what it purports to be.

It appears that there is no real shared sacrifice, so to speak.These top officials are said to commune with god, receive revelation,put all wordly things aside for the building up of the kingdom and of zion.What they do though, always seems to be done from a first class seat, a chauffered car or an elaborate office setting.

Making observations is not judging people, and I am not doing that. However, little, nothing me isn't saying that I have the only true and living church on earth and that you must strictly adhere to my policies to be together in celestial heaven with your loved ones, either.

The church has for whatever reason formulated standards to live by that apparently are not adhered to by its top officials.If I am wrong or being unfair, please point it out to me instead of preaching to us that the tone or substance of my questions and concerns are lacking in some way. That may cut it some places, but it won't here.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:01PM

Great reply. I wonder if emeritus GAs ever go on missions? I've known of some really old people going on missions but what about retired GAs? What about Richard Hinckley. 70 is still able to serve a mission if you really believe it and your father served until he died in his 90s.

Date: December 25, 2014 12:39AM

Elder Berry:

Monsieur Hinckley was a Mission President for the 3 years prior to taking his place in the 1st Quorum of the Seventy.
Given that he was over the Utah Salt Lake City Mission, he had to move 7 miles, into the mission home.

Date: December 27, 2014 04:02PM

Damn, he has been on the church gravy train for a long time. Money from LDS Inc. made out to him. And what great things has he done to justify this? Been a churchacrat and maybe not even a very good one at that.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 05:27AM

1st Q of 70 get their 'living allowance' for life, including health care and all the benefits. Equivalent to a generous six figure gross salary. Therefore, when you go emeritus at age 70 you are still very comfortable financially for the rest of your life.

The 2nd Q of 70 do not necessarily get the same deal.

Date: December 24, 2014 10:02PM

And this retirement money is more important than janitor's compensation.

WOW. Unbelievably bad servants of their Lord.

Date: December 24, 2014 05:39AM

AnnointedOne

Very interesting. Is this something you heard or do you have some insider info on this? Not questioning you bro, or sis, just curious for my own fact finding info. I like to be pretty clear on the difference between speculation and hard truth. All do respect, you seem to know something man of us don't know?

Date: December 24, 2014 05:40AM

Meant to say, all DUE respect. Have to correct the little things before FAIR uses my spelling to make me look like an idiot! LOL

Date: December 24, 2014 05:50AM

I know this from what I was told by GAs and also my involvement in advising some GAs on their tax affairs in the past.

It may of course have changed since my involvement, but I doubt it.

Posted by: greatstanding ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 10:09AM

My grandfather was 2nd Q of 70. When he received the call, my grandparents sold their home and property, and those proceeds were banked. The calling expired after 5 years, and so did the living allowance. But, medical insurance was still provided by Deseret Mutual, part of ChurchCo. I know this because I helped take my grandparents to their various doctor visits and often picked up prescriptions. My grandma would talk about being careful with the money "now that Grandpa is retired." My grandparents were SLC based, so I don't know if these benefits were made available to non USA based workers.

Posted by: Res Gestae ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 03:11AM

anointedone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this from what I was told by GAs and also
> my involvement in advising some GAs on their tax
> affairs in the past.
>
> It may of course have changed since my
> involvement, but I doubt it.

You "know" this from what you heard someone say, and then you repeat it to us as "fact." This is classic hearsay, and is unreliable evidence for a reason. No wonder you got your ass kicked in Judge Riddle's court. Do you have any real evidence, or are you going to continue with your charades?

Date: December 25, 2014 04:43AM

No, I know this because I was asked to review their tax returns, Is that fact enough for you? Do you have any actual true "facts" issued by the church in this connection?

This is not classic hearsay.

Regarding Judge Riddle, the church admitted:-

1. Their truth claims are not, in fact, true statements but some things that their members believe.
2. Tithing is purely voluntary.
3. Thomas Monson has absolutely no responsibility for what the church teaches.
4. If the prosecution went to trial, the church would be finished in the U.K.

These and other statements were made by the QC on behalf of Monson.

Perjury and "perverting the course of justice" helped them escape a trial at that stage. It will not work next time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2014 04:52AM by anointedone.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 05:39AM

The best way to control someone -- and keep their mouth shut -- is to keep paying them.

Date: December 25, 2014 12:44AM

Good Point.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 07:23AM

I would imagine so. Think about it, if GAs got released and then ended up really poor, it'd look bad for the church. I think the reason the church pays Mission Presidents and GAs so much is because they want to make it look like God is pouring down blessings onto them.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 02:23AM

The church is very free with it's money with certain people not just GA's. I have a distant relative that has been offered some kind of management job this year in the media department (maybe ksl?). He got his foot in the door because he knew the right people, lives in the right neighborhood (if your from Utah you'll know what neighborhood I'm talking about... ha ha)

Well anyway he was told to "name your salary." How many businesses recruit people with a phrase like that????

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:09AM

Here is how it works. Hinckley's son will be getting a huge pension for his token executive service to the church.
Three other emeritus GA will be washing the toilet in the ward as volunteers and going with out any pension to make up for what Dick Hinckley is going to get. that is how MORmONISM works !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcyR7Qv_1o

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 25, 2014 07:32AM

I hope they do. Otherwise there would be no point. ;o))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2014 07:33AM by matt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.