Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:56PM

would offend TBM's??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 01:59PM

From what I know, they changed a lot of stuff from "Into The Woods" for the movie. It should be fine. But I'm not going to see it. I love that show so much! I can't bear to see it butchered by Disney!

(If you have Netflix, the original Broadway production from the '90s should still be on there.)

Posted by: hairfannotlogged ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 02:21PM

I also love the stage play so much. I've been obsessed with it for over fifteen years now. I also worried Disney would butcher it.

I loved the movie though. As long as you look at it as the changes were necessary to translate it to a wider audience for screen, you shouldn't have many problems.

There are a lot of things that I missed from the stage show that I wished were in the movie, but I still thought it was amazing. I just choose to look at the two as completely different styles of the same show.

Date: December 29, 2014 02:25PM

As long it's not like Les Misérables (2012)which was 100% singing and no actual speaking dialogue!!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 11:35PM

Oh ohhh, Les Miserable! That movie nearly killed me!

I have always enjoyed opera and musicals, but the 2012 movie musical (w/ Hugh Jackman & Anne Hathaway) just totally got on my nerves. I remember thinking, "stop singing. STOP SINGING! STOPPPP!!"

I later watched a Youtube video of the STAGE production that the movie was based on, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of that. I think the singing was just much better in the stage version.

I did recently see a video of Hugh Jackman doing "Oklahoma" and thought he was really good in that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 02:27PM

Well, part of the butchering, IMHO, is a lot of miscasting. There are many actors in it that I don't like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 02:28PM by Tristan.

Date: December 29, 2014 04:42PM

I guess just different strokes... I liked all of the casting. I'm not really a Depp fan, but he was in the show so little that didn't bother me at all.

Into the Woods has a lot of singing in it, but not as much as Les Mis. (It cracks me up when people were shocked Les Mis was all singing in the movie. I thought that was common knowledge of the musical.)

Date: December 29, 2014 04:47PM

Not the musicals I grew up with like Annie, Scrooge, South Pacific, Oklahoma,The Sound of Music, Carousel, White Christmas, Grease, Hair etc... By having Les Mis all sung they alienated a bunch of the audience !!

Date: December 30, 2014 12:12AM

Les Miz is a musical operetta, those others are just musicals. Les Miz the stage show is one of the most popular worldwide shows. Check out a filmed version ofvthe stage show you may love it.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 12:39AM

I hardly ever like the movie as much as the stage production and I totally agree that Les Miserables the movie was a disaster. That being said, I liked the movie Into The Woods better than the stage production. It is the best movie adaptation I have seen in years. The cast members have the chops to sing the songs and the changes were for the better.

To answer the OPs question. It depends on the TBM. Johnny Depp as the big bad wolf leaves little doubt about his character being a pedophile. He is deliciously creepy.

The scene about adultery leaves enough to the imagination that my seventeen year old granddaughter thought they just kissed. Bad, but not that bad.

This movies is worth seeing just for the scene with the song Agony.

Oh and Meryl Streep is a great witch.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 02:10PM

The Broadway play (DVD) has Wolfe nudity (and he was very proud of it.) but after all he is a dog.

The Movie was very good.
For a TBM, images of cutting off body parts(no blood),
cheating on spouse. Accusing ones neighbor. Kills.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 02:37PM

I went to visit my family in Salt Lake City and saw 2 movies (more than I've seen in 6 months) including Into The Wood and The Imitation Game.

I love Broadway musicals but am not familiar at all with the stage version of Into the Wood and didn't know the music, and so I don't know if Disney butchered it. I loved the characters and how the fairytales are blended together.

My favorite performers in it are the baker and his wife, played by James Corden and Emily Blunt. (Corden has signed on to be the host of the Late Late Show, replacing Craig Ferguson in March) and Emily Blunt was pregnant during filming, while their whole story is wanting to have a baby.

Of course, Christine Baranski and Tracy Ullman can do no wrong but their parts aren't too big.

I also saw The Imitation Game about Alan Turing, the Brit who was mostly responsible for cracking the enigma code in WW2, although the story was sort of ficitonalized. It's a great movie, great acting by Benedict Cumberbatch, Kiera Knightley and others.

As good as it was, it ends very sadly and I won't add spoilers in case you want to see it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 04:48PM

There is a scene in "Into the Woods" that is upsetting some Mormons and conservative Christians. A woman is embraced by a prince, who is not her husband. They are objecting to that as not being up to Mormon "standards". Some have walked out of theaters and demanded a refund. That's all I can tell you. Perhaps someone who has seen the movie can explain it better.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 05:30PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a scene in "Into the Woods" that is
> upsetting some Mormons and conservative
> Christians. A woman is embraced by a prince, who
> is not her husband. They are objecting to that as
> not being up to Mormon "standards". Some have
> walked out of theaters and demanded a refund.
> That's all I can tell you. Perhaps someone who has
> seen the movie can explain it better.

In the stage version, they do more than just embrace!

This is part of the Disneyfication of the original.

BTW- When I worked on a production of Peter Pan, people would walk out and demand a refund because Tinkerbell calls Wendy "a silly ass"....as in "donkey". Not a lot, but it happened every now and then.

Some people are stupid.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 04:50PM

Since TBMs are so easily "offended," and it's hard to predict what will "offend" them...hard to say.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 29, 2014 11:59PM

Sondheim was in on the Disney changes and wrote a new song for the movie, so it wasn't the hatchet job you might imagine Hollywood usually does.

Now don't ask me about 'The Imitation Game' and it's pseudo history....

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 01:54AM

If you can find the PBS documentary about breaking the Enigma code, that is very, very interesting. If the real story is skipped over and new personal drama added, that could make the movie monotonous, IMO. Kiera Knightly's deadpan expression is boring to me. I'll watch Sherlock Holmes, instead. Love him!

I won't watch ultra intense movies about torture, because I was tortured as a child, and have PTSD. There's just too much pain and blood and noise on the giant screen--it's jarring. A musical is more my speed, because I go to the movies for fun and escape.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 07:31AM

Took TBM family members to Unbroken, and they loved it. The story is mostly true and uplifting in the "Greatest Generation" sort of way. The only thing that threw me off was that the seats were filled my 80-somethings. It really drew the geriatric crowd. There is some nudity (naked prisoners), but only some small swearing and some scatological talk in the scene where they empty the night soil.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: December 30, 2014 10:20AM

I can't tell you anything about "Unbroken," but I can tell you about "Into the Woods." (Warning: musical-theater-nerd rant ahead).

Yes, Disney did butcher the film by leaving out two crucial musical numbers (one of which, "No More," is essential to the overall plot and the Baker's motivation/character arc) and a major character (also essential to the above). There's no rationale for these choices; they punch giant plot-holes in the film and destroy some of its most important themes.

However, Disney did a lot of neutering (especially of the Wolf) that will make the film more palatable to TBMs than the stage show was. Since a TBM can get offended about ANYTHING, I'd predict the likely spots are: the woodsy extramarital liason between the Baker's Wife and Cinderella's Prince (although nothing is shown but some G-rated kisses), vaguely implied sexuality between the Wolf and Little Red (you'd have to really read into it, though), a skimpy costume on one of Cinderella's stepsisters, the word "breast" in Jack's song "Giants in the Sky," and possibly the deep V neckline in the Witch's act 2 costume. But then, I'm surrounded by TBMs who whip themselves into a righteous lather over anything that isn't fit to be presented in Sunday school.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.