Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:40PM

How did that happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:47PM

I've never had root beer that had caffeine and I'm out in PA.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:48PM

I had no idea *that's* what it's supposed to taste like. Quite nice.

ETA: I have no idea if there's caffeine in it. It came in a moonshine jug. Good stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 11:49PM by Beth.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:48PM

Date: April 30, 2011 09:54PM

That's wacky. DH has a bottle of Diet Barq's and it doesn't have caffeine. I went to root-beer.org and their Encyclopedia Rootanica said that Barq's and Rat Bastard add caffeine to their root beer.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 10:45PM

when I was a kid you could make root bear ( Hires even had a kit) and there was no caffeine.
I've notices some brads have some , some don't. I think it tastes better without, smoother.

Date: April 30, 2011 11:24PM

My PapPap & I used to make Hires root beer when I was little! it was so much fun! That was the best root beer I had till I bought some homemade root beer from the Amish farmer at the Green Dragon farmer's market. Not overly sweet.

Date: May 01, 2011 06:44AM

(to share with my kid who's coming home TOMORROW!!), and all I have left is less than a glass. So much for my kid. ;-)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:44PM

caffeine free, which, for those people who cannot tolerate caffeine, gives them another alternative.
Most other Root Beers are caffeine free also.

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 04:38AM

Are their cans marked "caffeine free" the way Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi cans are? At the grocery stores I go to in L.A., I've never seen any Barq's cans marked "caffeine free."

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
Re: Barq's Root Beer is caffeine free in utah --- They produce two types. Yes, one is
-------------------------------------------------------
> caffeine free, which, for those people who cannot
> tolerate caffeine, gives them another
> alternative.
> Most other Root Beers are caffeine free also.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:45PM

Date: April 30, 2011 11:50PM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:53PM

Are you sure? Read JaneBond462's post above, not the first one you come to, but the second reading up the list. Now I am really wondering what IS the truth?

Date: April 30, 2011 11:56PM

http://www.rootbeerbarrel.com/

Rootbeer: http://rootbeerbarrel.com/category/root-beers/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 11:57PM by Beth.

Posted by: anon 1 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 02:00AM

BadGirl Wrote:
> n/t

Barqs usually has caffeine. Most root beers don't but barqs does.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 02:06AM

I have an anxiety disorder, so I try to have as little caffeine in my day as possible. I always look at the label to see if there is caffeine, and yes - some root beers have it (which surprised me). I also actually found orange soda with caffeine. I can't remember the brand (it's a national one, but I don't want to malign unintentionally). I had always thought fruit sodas were a safe bet.

I always look at the label. There is caffeine where you least expect it.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 02:16AM

Sunkist orange soda has caffeine.

Years ago, 7-UP used to advertise that it had no caffeine. "Never had it, never will."

Then they came out with 7-Up Gold, which did have caffeine. I haven't seen 7-UP Gold in quite a while, so maybe they finally got smart.

That pink 7-Up crap is awful!

~VOW

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:46AM

Although back in the 70s it was a big no-no

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 10:33AM

Some Mormons do drink caffeinated drinks now and some are more old fashioned and don't.

When I was a Mormon I always felt like the people who were holding onto the past were apostates.

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:12PM

Barqs stopped putting caffeine in a while ago I thought. If you look above the nutrition label it'll tell you if it's free of caffeine or not.

Posted by: utard ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 01:46AM

Yup, Funny to read this post as I have a can RIGHT HERE on my desk. My curiosity got to me and yup....NO CAFFEINE!!!! Stupid Utah!

Posted by: PIZZA KING ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 01:40AM

I THINK BARQ'S ROOT BEER IS AWESOME. AFTER DRINKING BARQS, I CAN'T STAND ANY OTHER ROOT BEER. IT'S ABOUT THE ONLY POP I LIKE ANYMORE, BUT I CAN'T DRINK CAFFEINE BECAUSE OF MY HEART. IT IS CONFUSEING WHETHER DIET BARQS ROOT BEER IS CAFFEINE FREE OR NOT. THE CAN DOESN'T SAY THERE IS CAFFEINE IN THE INGREDIENTS, BUT IT DOESN'T SAY IT'S CAFFEINE FREE EITHER. IT DOESN'T MENTION THE WORD CAFFEINE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT HAD CAFFEINE, BUT NOW I GUESS IT DOESN'T. I WISH COCA COLA WOULD START MAKING REGULAR BARQS CAFFEINE FREE LIKE THEY DO CAFFEINE FREE COKE, FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT LOVE BARQS ROOT BEER, BUT CAN'T DRINK CAFFEINE.

THE MOST AWESOME PIZZA IN THE WORLD IS GARLIC ALPINE PIZZA IN THE MIDWEST. IT'S MADE WITH SARAH LEE BONE CHERE WHITE CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING. NO OTHER CREAMY ITALIAN TASTES ANYTHING LIKE IT. IT USED TO BE CALLED SWISS CHALET ALPINE ITALIAN BOTTLED BY PIZZA HUT. IT'S SO GOOD 90% OF THE PEOPLE ORDER IT PLAIN WITH JUST ALPINE SAUCE, MOZZARELLA AND PIZZA CRUST. YOU CAN STILL FIND IT A MOST MAZZIOS PIZZAS AND SIMPLE SIMONS. TELL YOUR FAVORITE PIZZERIA IT WILL BE THEIR BEST SELLING PIZZA, IF THEY EVER TRY IT. THEY CAN GET IT FROM ROMA FOODS OUT OF DENVER, DALLAS OR SPRINGFIELD MO. PIZZA HUT AND MAZZIOS USED TO PUT IT ON THEIR SUBMARINE SANDWICHES. MAZZIOS MIGHT STILL DO IT. IT MAKES ALFREDO PIZZA SEEM TASTELESS, IT'S SO AWESOME.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 05:17AM

I read the caps. Hooray for me.

Garlic on pizza is quite tasty, but it clashes with my happy pizzas (on which I shan't elaborate, in light of teh rulez).

What bothers me is the slogan "Barq's has bite", which contradicts Mormon Barq's.

Posted by: Lemmie ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 09:43AM

PIZZA KING Wrote:
> I THINK BARQ'S ROOT BEER IS AWESOME. AFTER
> DRINKING BARQS, I CAN'T STAND ANY OTHER ROOT BEER.
> IT'S ABOUT THE ONLY POP I LIKE ANYMORE, BUT I
> CAN'T DRINK CAFFEINE BECAUSE OF MY HEART. IT IS
> CONFUSEING WHETHER DIET BARQS ROOT BEER IS
> CAFFEINE FREE OR NOT. THE CAN DOESN'T SAY THERE IS
> CAFFEINE IN THE INGREDIENTS, BUT IT DOESN'T SAY
> IT'S CAFFEINE FREE EITHER. IT DOESN'T MENTION THE
> WORD CAFFEINE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT HAD CAFFEINE,
> BUT NOW I GUESS IT DOESN'T. I WISH COCA COLA WOULD
> START MAKING REGULAR BARQS CAFFEINE FREE LIKE THEY
> DO CAFFEINE FREE COKE, FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT
> LOVE BARQS ROOT BEER, BUT CAN'T DRINK CAFFEINE.
>
> THE MOST AWESOME PIZZA IN THE WORLD IS GARLIC
> ALPINE PIZZA IN THE MIDWEST. IT'S MADE WITH SARAH
> LEE BONE CHERE WHITE CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING. NO
> OTHER CREAMY ITALIAN TASTES ANYTHING LIKE IT. IT
> USED TO BE CALLED SWISS CHALET ALPINE ITALIAN
> BOTTLED BY PIZZA HUT. IT'S SO GOOD 90% OF THE
> PEOPLE ORDER IT PLAIN WITH JUST ALPINE SAUCE,
> MOZZARELLA AND PIZZA CRUST. YOU CAN STILL FIND IT
> A MOST MAZZIOS PIZZAS AND SIMPLE SIMONS. TELL YOUR
> FAVORITE PIZZERIA IT WILL BE THEIR BEST SELLING
> PIZZA, IF THEY EVER TRY IT. THEY CAN GET IT FROM
> ROMA FOODS OUT OF DENVER, DALLAS OR SPRINGFIELD
> MO. PIZZA HUT AND MAZZIOS USED TO PUT IT ON THEIR
> SUBMARINE SANDWICHES. MAZZIOS MIGHT STILL DO IT.
> IT MAKES ALFREDO PIZZA SEEM TASTELESS, IT'S SO
> AWESOME.

I think there still may be some caffeine somewhere in your diet.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 11:38AM

I think someone has moved on to powdered caffeine now. (Yes, it's a real thing.)

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 01:52AM

A lot of Barq's is caffeine free now. If you look right above the nutrition facts, there's a label in red that reads: "CAFFEINE FREE". It's been that way here for a while - at least for the 2 L bottles. I'm in Alaska.

Posted by: adequatesnacks ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 04:42AM

I first had Barq's in Utah in the spring of '91 while on a skiing trip with the family. I noticed that it had caffeine in the ingredient list then. This would have been purchased at a convenience store somewhere around SLC. Maybe in the Provo area it would have been caffeine-free. Like how no vending machines on campus sell caffeinated soda. Friggin twilight zone.

On later trips out west, I noticed it no longer had caffeine. Made me laugh. As far as I know it still has caffeine here in MI.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 06:25AM

I always thought that whole caffeine thing was crap! I was never asked if I had consumed caffeine in a temple recommend interview. We used to call drinks with caffeine "leaded" as opposed to caffeine free "unleaded."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 06:28AM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 09:32AM

I can't think of a single soft drink for which caffeine is a natural ingredient--even cola. It is ALWAYS an added ingredient, which added to the whole WoW confusion.

The origins of CocaCola are the 19th Century "patent medicine" ("snake oil") period of proto medicine. There were lots of "tincture of abracadabra" and "essence of mysterio" and "5% guaranteed solution of you-don't-want-to-know." Some of them worked, most of them didn't.* CocaCola had cocaine, which offered pain relief, and became popular. At some point, people became concerned about cocaine addiction. Cocaine was replaced with caffeine, and it became a "soft drink."

But caffeine is not native to any of these drinks. It's put in for added kick. Does Barq's have it? Perhaps the answer varies according marketing regions. I just don't know.

*This is the period when Mary Baker Eddy made progress with her Christian Science, so called. Her system was just as reliable as what many medical practitioners engaged in. Obviously, that's no longer true.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 10:49AM

Barq's is considered local here. I believe it is now owned by coca cola. I knew a lot of baptist/bible church people who got in a huff and switched to pepsi when caffeine free coke came out because they said coke was now part of The Mormon Conspiracy.

Posted by: escapedin2012 ( )
Date: December 31, 2014 10:11AM

I thought thier slogan is or was "Barq's has Bite" because of the caffine in it. I always said "Barq's has bite...except for in Utah".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.