Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 08:15PM

Makes me sad and very, very uncomfortable. I've seen examples of this on youtube with "that Mormon Boy" and others. Painful? I don't know, these guys want to be in the church and their only choice is celibacy, marriage to opposite sex without sexual desires or to leave the church.
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/tlc-air-husband-not-gay-special-january-video-003953735.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 09:31PM

Personal experience, it is a very unhealthy relationship to be in...and it really took a toll on both my gay ex and on me. Sad.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 10:42PM

I'm going to have to see this, although these things make me angry. You'd think after all these years, they'd have figured it out, but, no, they have to keep perpetuating the insanity.

You can say you don't identify as gay all you want. It doesn't change things.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:04PM

They do not figure it out because the people are raised to have faith and not to think. How can one figure something out when faith tells them not to think, but to believe?

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:03PM

Right, that proves something.

I can give lists of people that tried to claim there were not homosexual but they really were:

http://gayhomophobe.com/

Lot's of religious people on that list.

There is also a lot more than 4

Posted by: Mo Atkin ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 03:16PM

I produced and directed a documentary on gay mormons and their struggles with living an authentic life, given the obstacles presented by mormonism.

I hope this accurate portrayal of the costs the subjects I followed sheds some light on the subject.

http://youtu.be/fzkrXfCgHEg

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 05:15PM

I loved your piece MO. To lurkers here I highly recommend taking a look.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:24PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 03:32AM

Family secrets

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 03:37PM

I think the hardest part for my gay ex and me was that we DID love each other, we WERE best friends and successful life partners, and we were able to find just enough physical enjoyment (at least for a while) to continue deluding ourselves and expecting a different outcome.

When I hear these men and women talking about how happy they are, and how they think things are working, I really believe that they believe it. I just breaks my heart to think about how much they are probably missing, in my experience.

There is no perfect relationship, and even if they finally embrace reality, they may not find the partner of their dreams. I just hope they can find a way to accept themselves.

Things worked out well enough for us, but had we been just a little different, everything could have gone so badly. And even though it worked out in the end, there was a LOT of pain for both of us along the way that could have been avoided.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 03:42PM

I, of course, wanted that. I would have stayed until either of us died just for safety and security. I had told him he could pretty much do what he wanted, just help me raise the kids. Live as co-parents. We did finish the downstairs for him, but he left anyway. He just couldn't do it. Now he lives downstairs.

I assume these couples--the husband doesn't cheat or the wife doesn't know he cheats. Most of the ones I'm familiar with who are still with their wives do cheat. I worked with a man who has to be in his 80s now and he stayed married, but he did cheat. He didn't know I knew and he didn't know I was about to marry someone gay, but he often talked about how much he had hurt his wife and he had a lot of self hatred. Yep, that is the life I'd want my ex to live.

Date: January 02, 2015 04:11PM

No, we split up after six years. (We've been divorced for about 8 years now). We remained friends, but only see each other a few times a year now. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Despite a lot of heartbreaking efforts, we never had children. I imagine that would have changed everything. I don't know how long we'd have stayed together, but probably longer than we did. I am confident we would have been good co-parents.

I know that he never had sex with anyone else while we were married, but he did have other kinds of contact. By the last year or two, I had basically told him that I would understand if he did and only asked that he not bring home any STDs. I was always very liberal by Mormon standards.

We were always open and honest with each other, so in our case the pain did not come from lies or betrayal. It was just a matter of neither of us being ourselves or being what the other really needed.

He has been in a committed relationship with a great man for a few years now and they are quite happy. I got to travel the world, date several different people, and generally enjoy the freedom and experiences I had always dreamed of growing up in SE Idaho. I sometimes wonder if my wanderlust and his homebody nature would have ultimately been a bigger problem than the mixed orientation.

Posted by: Henoch ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 07:43PM

"asked that he not bring home any STDs".

^ Eh, have you seen the STI rates among MSMs?

Date: January 02, 2015 09:40PM

What is MSM?

And please don't read into this that I was making some assumption about STIs in the homosexual population. I would (and have) express the same concern about any non-monogamous relationship.

Posted by: Henoch ( )
Date: January 03, 2015 02:18AM

MSM means Men who have Sex with Men. It is a medical term. As to the massive disease rate among said population, it is not a matter of conjecture, but documented fact. It is well beyond the simply non-monogamous.

Date: January 03, 2015 04:05PM

My ex was, and is, a very cautious and responsible man. I was not throwing him out the door to start trolling back alleys for rent boys and just hoping for the best. As our marriage was struggling, I wanted him to feel that if he came to a point where he wanted to act on the nature he had been suppressing for so long, safety should be more important than keeping a secret from me.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 04:10PM

I don't know who the church harms more, the gay men who marry straight women or the straight women who were taught it could work out well.

I sometimes wonder now many of the old boys in SLC "bat for the other team."

Any guesses? If I had to guess I would say Packer the Pecker".

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 04:27PM

Yes, the problem seems to be that there is a huge amount of denial going on.

Bisexual people denying half of themselves. In the past, I have read that the only close-to-successful members of those groups that claimed to change Gay men to Straight men were bisexuals, who hated their Gay inclinations, and were able to act as Straight men because they were also adequately attracted to women.

Couples denying that one partner is really Gay.

Couples denying that they are missing out on things that are important to them. Saying that they are so happy, because they can't admit to the gnawing sadness within.

Gay people denying that they are secretly cheating. (I have known a large number of married Gay men. Every single one that I knew had some sort of secret Gay outlet.)

And their spouses denying that the partner is secretly cheating.

Not to mention a religion and a large social group of members who all deny that their beliefs do much more harm than good.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 04:32PM

Mormons are absolutely obsessed with the idea that no one is "actually" gay, just that there are people who sometimes "suffer from feelings of same sex attraction"

They think Gay people need to be cured, either now or in the next life.

No matter how they try to spin their shit, they dont think gays are actual people, just a "cross to bear"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 05:25PM

My father always equated being gay with smoking. "It's a difficult habit to give up" he would say, "but it can be done." I didn't even know how to answer him at the time I was so young and so traumatized by coming out to him--the eternal bishop and then Stake Patriarch. All I could manage was, "It's not like that Dad." But of course he never got it. How could he when the prophets he idolized told him differently?

This presentation is full of half lives being peddled to young confused and hurting gay Mormon youth as an ideal. I tried to watch some of it but I just couldn't do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 05:27PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 08:54PM

blueorchid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My father always equated being gay with smoking.
> "It's a difficult habit to give up" he would say,
> "but it can be done." I didn't even know how to
> answer him at the time ...

How about: "Gee dad you sound so sure, are you speaking from personal experience?"

Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: January 02, 2015 11:42PM

So utterly tragic. Had a beautiful young man my daughter's age in my ward that was gay, he went to that special camp in Utah. Ended up marrying a gay girl - also beautiful. And now they both work for that same conversion camp where they met.

Posted by: Ether ( )
Date: January 06, 2015 04:56PM

Like I've always said, "What father wants his daughter to marry a man who is/was gay?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.