Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 12:18PM

When I hear a BYU professor passionately go off on a point of history or critical theory that also applies to Mormonism, I sit here thinking there's no way they have a conventional testimony, if they believe at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 12:25PM

They are probably not teaching the religion courses! :-)

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 01:48PM

After they bare their testimony, do you think any of them would have the guts to be hooked up to a lie detector on it? I think not and I doubt few Mormon leaders would either. I think most of them know its fake but they are acting.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 01:55PM

I've previously posted this, but I feel it speaks to the OPs question.

I well remember one day in Professor Eugene Campbell's World History class. Dr. Campbell was showing the class a picture book of mans history. As I recall, it was published by National Geographic. As Dr. Campbell thumbed through the book, he commented on the excellent representation of Cromagnon man and held the page up for the class to see.

Just then, some wise asshole blurted out: "Dr. Campbell, you know perfectly well that Joseph Smith said Adam was the first man!"

Dr. Campbell smiled and replied: "Perhaps he meant the first man to hold the priesthood!"

The class became very quiet. Dr. Campbell set the book aside and continued on with the regular lesson material.

After class, I was walking with Dr. Campbell across the campus. He repeated quietly: "I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't have said that." I asked why. He remarked that one of the class will likely report him and he'll be called in and given a lecture by the Dean. I replied that I wouldn't worry about it until it happens. He appeared to be somewhat relieved.

Why should a brilliant scholar like Dr. Eugene Campbell have to tolerate such bullshit nonsense? Probably to keep his job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 01:56PM by Templar.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 02:34PM

Well I remember my geology professor always let us know what a fine line he walked when presenting scientific information on matters paleolitic.

Dr Bissel had a sense of humor that served him well in walking above said line. He would often joke about being called once more up to the "Big X building" (as he called the ominous Smoot Admn Bld) and scolded for teaching doctrinally incorrect earth history.

Basically, anything over 6000 years is from Mormon pre-existence and must be taught as such. Can you imagine the daily mindfuk?

I always felt sympathy for old Harold.

FWIW, his kid used to post here before he passed on.

RIP Harold and Preston Bissell.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 02:51PM

It's the same with church employees. I know a few of them that have retired. Once they finished and could collect their pension, they no longer attend church or have anything to do with it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.