Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 11:09PM

Some of my friends have missionaries out in the field. They post pics of them on their missions and my first reaction, "oh, you poor guy."

All I have for missionaries is pity. It is two years of mistreatment on all fronts. Unless you learn a language or go somewhere cool, and those are disappearing, it's just a big waste of 2 years of your life.

I couldn't wait to go home and had PTSD nightmares about it for years afterwards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:26AM

I feel that pity, too. I know the mishies and their families don't want that pity and I've got no one to share it with, but really, it's so awful. Two years (or 18 months) of abuse, and typical of all experienced abusers, the church has its victims fully on board - even willing to pay for it.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 02:49AM

I have two cousins in the past year who have had their missionary sons return home within six months of leaving. This was unheard of when I was growing up. I don't know what has happened with the culture, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much shame associated with coming home early. Whatever it is it is positive, I knew too many young guys who got absolutely nothing from spending two years peddling bullshit and having every tiny little aspect of their lives controlled, and some became severely depressed, or otherwise broken.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 06:46AM

Going home was a threat because if the shame involves. One of my friends came home after a year and everyone kept trying to get me to find out why.

It was the male equivalent of being knocked up.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:14PM

I was told if I were to come home early don't expect to live here. You better find some other place to live if you come home early.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.