Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 12:58PM

An alternate look at the stages of grief in the NY Times:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/getting-grief-right/?src=me

This model considers grief in terms of telling a story (there's no one right way).
Chapter 1 - Understanding the relationship between degree of attachment and intensity of grief
Chapter 2 - The loss itself - the moment when the person experiencing the loss begins to question his sanity
Chapter 3 - When the outside world stops grieving with you, when you "sink into loss" and accept it.

I identify with this a little more than the traditional model, and thought I'd post for anyone else trying to understand grief on the recovery-from-mormonism path.
Personally, I was very "attached" to the church, so I can see how that matches my level of grief. Also, I strongly identify with the craziness (sometimes a mixed bag of shock and anger). As for the last stage, I'm not sure the outside world ever was grieving with me, except for you all here (thank you). Maybe I'm sinking into the loss a little, but I'm definitely not accepting it yet - I'm still trying to make it different (still hoping to have my husband and sons join me). That's a hard one to let go of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonzzz ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 03:52PM

I am so sorry that your husband does not see the "truth" of Mormonism of being so used.

Thank you for sharing the information about the steps of grief.
We are on the same road. At least we are out with you.

Thinking of you today Dinah, you are not alone here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.