Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olep63 ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 06:54PM

As an investigator I was once taught that there was no picture of Jesus Christ in the room where the sacrament meeting was held each sunday. Anybody know the reason for this? Is Jesus not welcome there? The only one I know who could give such an order is satan himself. Now, even blacks can receive priesthood. But Jesus is still not worthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:01PM

As you get into the LDS club a little more you'll find that Mormons worship Joeseph Smith. They might claim to believe in Jesus. But they worship Joe Smith.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:28PM

and sometimes that becomes VERY obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

Date: January 14, 2015 07:58PM

Jesus Smith. LOL.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:04PM

To be fair, they don't have any pictures in the chapels... they are lifeless boring rooms that make you feel like you are in a bunker.

Date: January 14, 2015 07:12PM

I was sometimes in the chapel located in Lahti, Finland,

http://www.alltravels.com/finland/paijanne-tavastia/lahti/photos/current-photo-58733531

and there is a picture if Jesus hanging outside the rooms in the hallway, but there in none inside the sacrament meeting room or any other rooms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2015 07:18PM by olep63.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:16PM

I was once told that the reason for the chapels having nothing on the walls was to keep people from being distracted. You'll notice that the only thing on the wall is a clock. I could never stop staring at that thing.

Once again, along comes the internet. A distraction they haven't been able to control.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 08:30PM

Those clocks were always a big distraction for me. Every time I always went I couldn't stop thinking how every church have the clocks that have an upside down 2 for a 7. I went there recently for a baby blessing and thought of it again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2015 08:31PM by 48erhater.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 08:42PM

How many sacrament meetings do I recall staring at the clock and
passing the time (while some High Council speaker droned on)
calculating what fraction of the meeting was left . . . 1/15 . .
. 1/20 . . . 1/30 . . . etc.

I got good at fractions.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 08:53PM

I haven't been to church in a VERY long time. I must have stared at that clock a LOT because I remember it better than the clock that is in my house right now.

This is one of those moments when someone points out a detail about church that seems strange now but was normal at the time.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:04PM

+1 Muwahahaha... Candy Crush in Sacrament! Oh what's that? Yeah, the LDS Gospel app is great... *snickers*

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:56PM

And in the end, it's all so much bullshit. In earlier, more opulent LDS churches, there was often a stained glass window of Jesus. Or also of Joseph Smith, which was probably more likely. (I used to go to an LDS church in Midvale that had a sunken chapel with a huge stained glass window behind the choir seats featuring Smith's "First Vision." I notice now that the church has been sold off and has a gold dome on top.)

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 08:54PM

I think Mormon churches are made as cookie cutter and sterile looking as possible so that they don't compete with the temple.

The church might not get members to pay ten percent of their income to attend the temple if Mormon churches actually looked like a place of worship.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:34PM

We used to have a very large picture hanging up "Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane" . Then suddenly in my late teens it was taken out/down and hung in one of the hallways.

I was never told why. I don't know if the adults were told or not why this was taking place. We didn't have statues or even crucifixes but just a picture.

Also they used to have trophy cases in the lobby, but I guess too many investigators thought they were walking into a gym than a chapel.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:47PM

Best to keep the clutter to a minimum, I say. Who wants the "sexy Jesus" paintings. Lot's of my realtives have the manly sun tanned Nordic Jesus with the long blond highlights smilin' at them in the living room (Oh Baby!!). It has to be placed next to the "Bless out lil Family" montage of ugly babies and pictures of temples and cowboy hats. Sorry if I offended anyone but it's tacky.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:50PM

For many years the Washington Temple lacked Bibles.

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:54PM

The image of Jesus is suppose to be the one the spirit gives you not and artist image. That is what I was told.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 10:03PM

The chapel I went to while growing up had a plaster bronzed sculptured relief of the last supper crafted by a local artist. It filled the wall above the choir seats and was beautiful. The chapel was razed and another built in it's place in the 70's. The artwork was destroyed, the church said they had no place to store it, which I still don't believe. It was a great artwork simply run over by a bulldozer during demolition. The old chapels had a lot more beauty to them, the new ones are uninspiring.

Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 10:30PM

The chapels look like bank offices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.