Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 02:38PM

On January 15, episode 500 parts 1 through 5 titled "Tom Phillips and the Second Anointing" showed up on my podcast app. However, I can't download them and each time I try they "fail."

I know Mormon Stories was waiting to publish episode 500 and I thought it was interesting that these showed up just after John was given notice of his "court of love."

Anyone else seeing these but having trouble downloading them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 03:02PM

he wait until after he was excommunicated.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 03:49PM

This question was raised on another forum. John replied:

"[–]johndehlin 32 points 1 day ago
This is John. I WILL re-release the episode. Some close friends just suggested that I hold off on releasing it until after the disciplinary council stuff is done. Just to not have too many things all happening at once. But make no mistake. It will be back up."

In the meantime, you can listen to the unedited version here:

http://mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm

Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 05:44PM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 04:49PM

I thought it was kind of funny when Tom said he couldn't believe so many people would listen to 5 hours of his interview.

How soon he forgets. A lot of us sat for 3 to 5 hours every single sunday listening to drones when we were mormons. In contrast, his interview was fascinating and interesting. I also got to recline on the sofa. Listening for 5 hours was easy.

Thanks Tom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 04:49PM by madalice.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 05:40PM

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 06:07PM

There is a transcript out somewhere. It's something like 80 pages long. I read the whole thing, it was heartbreaking. I'm highly visual and don't have an ounce of patience to listen to podcasts, although I've forced myself to listen to a few.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 06:37PM

Yes, those are also posted on the mormonthink link I gave. Here's the direct reference to the second anointing itself:

HTML: http://mormonthink.com/tomphillips.htm#story
PDF: http://mormonthink.com/files/tom-phillips-second-anointing.pdf

And the transcript to the podcast with John Dehlin:

http://mormonthink.com/tom-phillips-2nd-anointing-transcript.pdf

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 09:46PM

He released it and pulled it back within an hour perhaps. I don't like the way he has been toying (my impression) with this and Tom and dangling it in front of the church like a threat to yank their chains. I am sure most will disagree but I don't like it and it does not seem honorable to me.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 19, 2015 09:52PM

It felt a bit like a game.

Waiting until after he is excommunicated seems weak. Do it man.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 04:44PM

jkjkjkjk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He released it and pulled it back within an hour
> perhaps.

I remember that. I downloaded it and put it up at my Dutch forum back in the day. It's still there:

http://forum-home.980544.n3.nabble.com/De-tweede-zalving-Tom-Phillips-interview-tp4024933.html

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 03:10PM

IMO this interview is MormonStories' pièce de résistance. There is much to learn from it. It has helped me in my life.

Tom and John - thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 03:12PM

Couldn't agree more. If only I could get active believing Mormons I know and love to listen to it.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 08:03PM

Not a challenge... just wondering... but why do (if they do) some people think revealing The Second Annointing is going to be any more significant than any of the other issues recently revealed? People outside of of mormonism (who are interested in details) already think mormons are bat guano crazy, and current, active mormons will spin it or ignore it as they have with the other recent essays.

BTW, I was taught about the Second Annointing in seminary in the '70s. So, the "I've known about it," and "it's not a secret" are ready for use by both the big and small mormon apologists. Just more craziness from an organization already known for craziness.

Posted by: zenmaster (nli) ( )
Date: January 20, 2015 08:07PM

I had heard about the Second Anointing too but hearing that he didn't see Christ was the big deal to me...really destroys the mystique and takes away the "holy grail" of Mormonism

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.