Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hairfannotlogged ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:17AM

It doesnt matter on RFM if we are now Christian, Hare Krishna, Athiest, Agnostic, spiritual but not religious, Jewish, Baptist, Buddist, Sikhs, Panthiests, not sure what we believe, working on a belief system (did I miss any categories?)

It doesnt matter the reasons we left, the ages we left, how we feel about the church after we left, the places we live, and etc...

We are all here because we left, want to recover, or help others recover. I am glad we have differing beliefs here and different knowledge experiences. Thats the reason I come here everyday, because of the diversity and new information I learn from all of you.

Thanks to the founders of this board and those who helped me find my way out. I rarely post, but I just wanted to give everyone a shout out and say I love this place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:33AM

The fact that this is the most insightful...interesting... creative...and often very pleasingly quirky group of people I have ever been involved with in my entire life.

Absolutely true statement. :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 04:02AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:45AM

Community

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:53AM

I always thought I would leave RfM once I thought I was recovered.

Then I discovered that I was always recovering, that is, I am always changing. Therefore, I benefit from the journeys of others. You can come to RfM one day and it looks like a bunch of teenagers are arguing about a movie. The next day you jump on the site and the discussion is about whether or not a non-belief is a belief and is atheism a religion?

That's what I like the most about RfM. You never know what you'll find here. To my delight, I often find news about how Mormonism is reaping what it has sowed, is getting caught with its garments off, or making some backpedaling statement. The less mature side of me just loves that.

And, over time, you get to know and care about the people who come here. It's a breath of fresh air because, like the OP said, you could be sitting there at your keyboard wearing a burka for all I know, but your comment is just as valid as anyone else's.

When I've needed some concise clear advice, this is the place to ask. This congregation of witty critical thinkers will tell you if you are off the mark or exactly right.

And they have absolutely no dog in the fight. Priceless, right?

KW

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 10:15AM

" . . .caught with it's garments off."

LMAO Even when they have them on they are so full of holes.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:15PM

They are The Garments of The Holy Priesthood.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:22AM

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:05AM

*Whip-smart people available for many questioning seekers.

*When the disillusioned post their painful tales, there is always some comfort or shelter available.

*and laughter can be the best medicine at times…

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 07:57AM

My sentiments, exactly. Even someone turns out to be an asshole, you can just openly call him on it. It's full of fun people who like good back-and-forth discussion. It only occasionally backfires.

I'd have a challenging time listing all my favorites over the years, but some of them are on-line here on RfM this very moment, no doubt. Some of these people (a couple of whom have since passed away) were integral to my leaving the church. This board (Recovery from Mormonism) is the reason I found the courage to resign from Mormonism.

RfM turns out to be a place where you can also go to get off-topic advice on many issues. We do it all the time.

(We should have a contest for the whip-smartest of the whip-smart. Who would win? Would it be the wise Anagrammy? The acerbic woman of brief stature Wine Country Girl? Hard to say. I personally may have learned the most from baura and runtu. Certain prizes for brevity would likely go to Don Bagley and Ron Burr. Steve Benson would win for "most edits," a special category.)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:05AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 02:08AM by steve benson.

Posted by: L.A.EX ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 09:09AM

Edited once... Clever I don't if you are still checking this thread Steve Benson, but I have always been curious about your posts. When I first came to RFM several years ago I wondered if you were real or just a scam because the frequency of your posts seemed superhuman. I have always since been curious about how you use the site, and your philosophy behind why you decide to be such an integral part of this site. Do you post everything on your own, or have you authorized two or ten proxy posters to repost things you have written in the past? Do you invest a significant amount of time reading and posting here, and if so, after so long, why? I don't ask to criticize your choice, you just appear so dedicated to the site that I was curious to know your thoughts behind deciding to make that time and effort sacrifice. Regardless, you were important for me leaving, both because of what you write, and the weight your last name carried to my TBM mind. I personally have benefited greatly from your posts and am very much in your debt. I appreciate the time you appear to put in, I know the majority of us here have been helped by your posts. And if you are just an automated system created by Satan to deceive me, thanks all the same. I'm happy with how it has turned out.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 03:41PM

. . . be it religious, political, social or cultural, that deliberately denies you access to information needed for you to make informed and rational decisions for your own life.

The Mormon Cult is a pervasive propaganda machine that selectively presents, dishonestly edits, consciously sanitizes, deliberately lies about, knowingly and willfully misrepresents, and regularly misdirects when it comes to the tainted "information" it spoons out to its members (and to non-Mormons) about its history, origins, background, doctrines, policies and practices.

The most potent weapon against the fact-filtering Mormon Cult's abuse of power in denying people the informed power of choice is OPEN ACCESS TO INFORMATION that it desperately wishes to hide. As the old saying goes, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

The best, most effective way to combat Mormonism's lie machine is with the truth it seeks to hide. That requires a commitment to the battle and a willingness to be ready, prepared and present in that battle in order to provide substantive, factual pushback against the Mormon Cult's pre-programmed peddling of disinformation. That's why I choose to be here.

(P.S.--Satan has never contacted me, but I would be happy to help him if and when he needs source material).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 03:59PM by steve benson.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 04:04AM

That it is here, my friend, where I can vent, share, etc.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 08:08AM

I come here for the laughs.

Oh, and did I mention all the great people here with soooo much knowledge about a phony religion.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 09:25AM

It's unfortunate that a cult was mentioned and it was intimated that it's fine to be part of it. I abhor any group which wants to overtake and control people's thinking if it's through chanting, using RfM, especially when it's stopping people to preach at them unbidden as they're minding their own business in their daily lives.

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 09:31AM

After decades of cultural brainwashing it is refreshing to be exposed to free thinking.

Posted by: secularhumanguy ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 09:47AM

the humor, the valuable insights, and just bring able to vent your feelings. thanks for providing all this and more rfm and all my friends here

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 09:59AM

While in the morg, I couldn't be honest, open, critical, sarcastic, or funny about the cult.
Here I can.
I can be *me.*

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 10:03AM

I want to hear about the cult crumbling.

They lied, they covered up, they took, they damaged lies.... Payback time.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 10:17AM

Being understood. When I found RFM my first thought was, "OMG! There's others out there." And, the diversity--you're right about that.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:22PM

Not a thing...
It's good from every aspect.

Date: January 21, 2015 01:26PM

That it exists. It is so small compared to the monolithic Mormon church. A tiny counterpoint to their terrible points.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 01:26PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 01:45PM

I came to this site after I finished a lot of study. I am "out" in the sense that I no longer believe but I have not announced my position to anyone outside this site, including my wife. This means I have a lot of work ahead to nudge my wife, gently, out with me. Once she's out, I'd like to get as many of our family members out as we can, with gentle persuasion and solid knowledge, some I've found on this site and the rest from my studies.

This site keeps me sane. It provides solid advice for coping with the challenges I am and will be facing.

It's given me new friends.

I love this place!

Date: January 21, 2015 02:09PM

moose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This site keeps me sane. It provides solid advice
> for coping with the challenges I am and will be
> facing.

I let everyone know 12 years ago and this site keeps me sane.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:50PM

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:14PM

The people and their experiences.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 02:19PM

Hearing completely different perspectives on a given topic. That's what I appreciate most

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 03:03PM

Where else can you go and talk to people who understand what you are saying and feeling?

Posted by: Anon Appreciator ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 03:09PM

The time, talents and caring of Eric K., Susan I/S, Concrete Zipper and others unknown to me that have kept this place going since 1996 (1997?).

The financial generosity of Eric K. and contributors who keep the lights on here.

My sincere thanks to you all.

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 03:21PM

the honesty
the understanding
the thoughtfulness
the irreverence

Posted by: Resolving ( )
Date: January 21, 2015 04:01PM

What I like about RFM is the fact that I can say how much I hate the Church and not get censored.

I also TOTALLY APPRECIATE the fact that I can post anonymously. I don't post much, but I can post without having to log-in with a user name that can be tracked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.