Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:09PM

"Some he knows have left the church and are living a homosexual lifestyle. When they ask why he doesn't just give in, he answers, "I feel I'm being true to my eternal self." "
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/635165814/Alone-in-the-fold-Many-LDS-gays-struggle-to-cling-to-faith-despite-their-yearnings.html?pg=all

How can an ending self (we all know it is coming) be true to a never-ending self?

This sounds like me saying I want to save money now for my very old self but somehow not. Why? Because a self that goes on and on and on and on and on some more isn't something we can conceive of, right? I've tried before and I cannot conceive of myself as a person with a past I can remember going on forever. At some point I will have to have forgotten large swathes of this very long life.

I guess in this guy's case he is saving himself for his future polygamist wives after God has straightened him out? As a gay Mormon man, walk the straight and narrow path and when you get to heaven you will look like an Arnold Friburg Mountie with the libido of Hugh Hefner and Warren Jeffs combined because you held out for your future forever self?

http://www.artcountrycanada.com/friberg-arnold-trail-ends-at-the-sea-rcmp.htm

I'm not being true to my eternal self. I don't even want to think about myself at my first eon of eternity. I say eat, drink and gay marry for tomorrow you may die.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:16PM

I don't have an eternal self, so no worries. I'm quite content in the knowledge the dirt nap is the end. It's what I do until then that counts.

Ron Burr

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:33PM

Yep. Shed religion and enjoy the rest of it shame and guilt free.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:21PM

So sad... "eternal self" is just "the person TSCC tells you should become".

How about being true to my "internal moral self" and hope that the rest works itself out in the eternities should life continue after I die?

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:23PM

You know, EB, if you keep playing with these stupid Morg beliefs you'll get burned, right?

;^)

Date: January 22, 2015 07:26PM

In Hell right?

Date: January 22, 2015 07:30PM

Hell would be here, if you keep playing with those things! They be dangerous!

Date: January 22, 2015 07:31PM

It is cold here.

Date: January 22, 2015 07:32PM

Well, okay. If you need to warm up a bit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.