Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:38AM

There was a fad that started in the 70's where morgbots would "challenge" each other to do things. Nothing was a request, or idea worth considering - it had to be a challenge. To read the scriptures. To hold family home evening. To not masturbate. Etc. I've been out well over 20 years now but for some reason that memory popped up and I'm curious. Do they still go around "challenging" all the time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:43AM

I heard it occasionally in the last decade, but not as often and not as dramatically as it used to be thrown around.
My least favorite challenge was the stupid kind that came from a hotshot teenager who obviously knew nothing but wanted to act spiritually mighty by mimicking his elders.
I also hated it when the trite "challenge" was followed up with a teary "I promise you that..." (fill in the blank). That was stupid, too.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:53AM

Oh, ja, I'd forgotten about the promises that were given for a "challenge" accepted and accomplished. My mission in late 70s was nothing but a giant challenge fest. Too bad no one challenged me to a duel as I was an intercollegiate fencer at the time.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:47AM

Didn't mittens use the word "challenge" when he asked rick perry to make a 10k bet during the GOP clown car debate?

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:48AM

Oh, Geez. Bad memory I almost had stifled.
You're right. He did.

Posted by: xemo ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 12:48AM

Ah, this finally makes sense. I had a TBM boss say this to me once.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 03:09AM

There's presently a challenge in my old ward RS, to read the Book of Mormon by Feb 1, or something like that. You'd think they could come up with something a little more exciting and creative than that.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 03:11AM

Yes! Mostly missionaries do this, but there are still many zealous sunday school teachers who use the challenge/promise format

Posted by: The investigator ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 05:16AM

Yep,a Missionary sister would challenge me at the end of every lesson to at first just pray, I'd never done it since I was about 8, and then to pray the Book of Mormon was true. Bless em.
It did strike me as an unusual phrase and I did wonder why she chose such a word, that explains it.
Actual I am a little disappointed I thought it was a nice original way of phrasing the request. Shame.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 02:21AM

Original? no... Missionaries are trained specifically in the MTC and in meetings to use that phrasing. they ALL do it. Or are "supposed" to

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 02:21AM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 03:14AM

Does this remind anyone else of kids "daring" each other to manipulate others into doing otherwise stupid/dangerous things?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 05:15AM

Pista Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this remind anyone else of kids "daring" each
> other to manipulate others into doing otherwise
> stupid/dangerous things?

Absolutely. That practice wreaked havoc with my emotionally unstable MORmON convert male parent. Thankfully LDS Inc only wanted MORmON parents to send their kids on full time missions instead of nailing them to a cross. My male parent would have loved to show up Abraham and / or emulate Elohim. Sacrificing a child (somebody else) would have been a small price to pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQnjVX_gco

Date: January 22, 2015 05:23AM

Reminds me of the Brish woman on the handcart company who seemed pleased that her son died on her badly organised and foolish trek to Utah. You know the poor persecuted hand cart martyrs. she considered it a small price to pay. I doubt he agreed.

Date: January 23, 2015 02:04AM

" I have come to learn that no sacrifice is too great for a faithful (faithFOOL) Latter day Saint"

Gordon B.S. Hinckley

After all, forcing your child to make the ultimate sacrifice is not the same as having to make it yourself..... when a person is MORmON.

Date: January 23, 2015 02:19AM

last line of paragraph 11

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1985/10/let-us-move-this-work-forward?lang=eng

Sounds inspiring, until a person really thinks about it and about what LDS Inc really does.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 07:24AM

It's another cult mind-control trick. The missionaries will "challenge " the invistigator to find out if the BoM is true, etc. The implication here is that if you don't discover that the BoM is true, you have failed the challenge. You are a failure. Very few people feel good about failing. That's how cults control people.

Date: January 22, 2015 08:11AM

I did point out the circular logic in it, it was clear to me first you had to want to believe and if you didn't it was your fault for not being sincere.
I think the response was along the lines of try again until you do it right. while they were concerned by what I said, there was a few troubled looks, they mishies just ploughed on regardless.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:10AM

It was a favorite theme of Paul H. Dunn,that paragon of insight into the human condition.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 08:24AM

I challenge you to take another shot of tequila

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 01:54AM

to make it a double.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: January 22, 2015 01:26PM

We REALLY need a "like" button. ^^^^

Posted by: AnonExMo ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 02:46AM

Missionaries invite themselves around every so often and usually "challenge" us to read/pray/something. Having been out of the church many years I laughed when a lady giving me a DoTerra sales pitch "challenged" me to do something. Is that how they suck Mormons into that crap?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 23, 2015 03:24AM

Maybe we should start "challenging" missionaries and other Mormons to read the essays and the CES letter. Turn their tactics back on them and see how they like it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.