Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 10:02PM

Koriwhore, you said that atheists are the most hated group in America. What do you think about that? Do you think that make sense?

And what do you think about Americans hating 13% of the worlds population just because they call themselves atheist? Does that make sense to you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 24, 2015 10:22PM

Koriwhore, I just got your answer from another thread where you posted:

"I think Americans hate atheists for good reason they associate atheism with genocidal Atheists like Stalin, Pol Pot, Chairman Mao, and Kim Jung Il."

My guess would be its because some religious people don't like that atheists don't support the religious persons God. I'm just guessing.

Do you have anything to support your reason atheists are hated or are you just guessing too?

Posted by: Alberta Ted ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 10:34PM

thingsithink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Koriwhore, I just got your answer from another
> thread where you posted:

Never kind, EVERYONE hates atheists. You should see what the Muslims do to us.

Date: January 24, 2015 10:52PM

So why do some Muslims hate atheists? Is it because they equate them with Mao, Stalin, etc.?

As a sidenote, do Muslims think atheists are sexist?

Date: January 24, 2015 11:03PM

thingsithink Wrote:
> So why do some Muslims hate atheists? Is it
> because they equate them with Mao, Stalin, etc.?
>
>
> As a sidenote, do Muslims think atheists are
> sexist?

Muslims hate atheists because their holy book and holy men tell them to:
"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" Quran (8:12)

Likewise for the Bible:
'Those who hath served other gods, which I have not commanded; thou shalt bring forth that man or that woman, and shalt STONE them till they die' GOD, Dt 17:1-5

Note -- an "unbeliever" is defined as someone who does not believe in 'YOUR' god. In Biblical and Quranic times, there were few (if any) actual atheists.

Even today, Muslims consider Jews and Christians to be "unbelievers" for not accepting Mohamed as the most important prophet with the last word on how to worship.

Date: January 24, 2015 10:37PM

thingsithink Wrote:

> "I think Americans hate atheists for good reason
> they associate atheism with genocidal Atheists
> like Stalin, Pol Pot, Chairman Mao, and Kim Jung
> Il."

None of those people were/are true atheists. Pol Pot was a Buddhist, Stalin was Russian Orthodox, and Mao believed in all kinds of superstitious mumbo-jumbo, viewing himself as a god -- much like Kim Jong Il and his son do.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 10:48PM

Most of the atheists here started out as Mormon. They changed. So did Stalin.Not so sure about Mao and Pol Pot, but Stalin was an ex Russian Orthodox who became atheist. People change beliefs all the time.

Date: January 24, 2015 10:53PM

bona dea unregistered Wrote:
> Most of the atheists here started out as Mormon.
> They changed. So did Stalin.Not so sure about Mao
> and Pol Pot, but Stalin was an ex Russian Orthodox
> who became atheist. People change beliefs all the
> time.

Once Stalin was firmly seated in office, he revived the Russian Orthodox Church in order to intensify patriotic support for the war effort. Stalin was part of a council convened to elected a new church Patriarch. Then the Russian theological schools were opened, and thousands of churches began to function. Even the Moscow Theological Academy Seminary was re-opened, after being closed since 1918.

Posted by: bona dea unregisterd ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:04PM

Alberta Ted,Stalin was a well known and self confessed atheist. Look it up. The fact that he used the church doesnt make him a believer

Date: January 24, 2015 11:13PM

bona dea unregisterd Wrote:
> Alberta Ted,Stalin was a well known and self
> confessed atheist. Look it up. The fact that he
> used the church doesnt make him a believer

Not true. Stalin never confessed to being an atheist. If you can provide a quote, I'm happy to stand corrected. But there's no such quote in any of the biographies I've read,

Posted by: Bona dea not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:31PM

You know, they are fooling us. There is no God...all this talk.about God is foolishness.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:40PM

Bona dea not logged in Wrote:
> You know, they are fooling us. There is no
> God...all this talk.about God is foolishness.

Sorry, hearsay is not acceptable. I would like to see something from the public record, please.

Date: January 24, 2015 10:55PM

Bona, why do you think Americans hate atheists?

Koriwhore, did Americans hate atheists prior to Mao, Stalin, etc.? Or is it a more recent development?

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:13PM

Jefferson was pretty much of an atheist, or what passed for Atheist back then, Deust/Epicurean. I doubt he'd get elected to dog catcher today because of that. We've devolved since Tha Age of Reason.

Posted by: bona dea atheist ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:00PM

Partly because of religious fear and partly because of equating atheists with Communists. MY generation grew up.fearing the godless commies.People also fear differences and most dont know any atheists. I also think some angry atheists are doing their movement a lot of harm by acting as intolerant and obnoxious as the worst sort of theists.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:06PM

bona dea atheist Wrote:
>People also fear differences and most dont
> know any atheists.

Really? I barely know any theists.

>I also think some angry
> atheists are doing their movement a lot of harm by
> acting as intolerant and obnoxious as the worst
> sort of theists.

I think after 2000 years of Christian oppression, a backlash is perfectly understandable.

And what do you think of Islam? Should we just accept their hatred of women and freedom of expression?

Posted by: bona dea unregisered ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:18PM

What I think is that you have a warped and one sided view of religion. Yes, religion has done a lot of bad things but they have done plenty of good things too which you angry atheists never acknowledge. I used to have no problem if someone told me they were atheist, but thanks to the bigotry of SOME atheists now my first thought is that they need to prove that they arent jerks. That is unfortunate and I owe it to the new atheist movement.Sometimes I am wrong, but often they are jerks who want to change my mind and who act superior. One of my closest friend has been an atheist for years and she feels the same way. Most atheists are not like that but Ibhave met enough radical ones that I have to stop and remind myself that they are not the majority, just the loud ones. Maybe you think that atheists acting like jerks is good,but I dont think it is good for anyone-including atheists.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:20PM

I am against misogyny and supression of free speech, but so are many Muslims. Stereotyping much?

Date: January 24, 2015 11:36PM

> I am against misogyny and supression of free
> speech, but so are many Muslims. Stereotyping
> much?

Oh, are they? Then they are not real Muslims. I take it you've never read any of the Quran and are ignorant of the teachings of Islam. I guess you're going to come back and tell me you have "plenty of Muslim friends" now.

Posted by: bona dea not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:46PM

I have read parts of the Koran. I have also taken college level workshops and classes on Islam and have taught it on the high school level, but I guess I.dont know anything. There are many types of Muslims as there are of Christians but thanks for proving your ignorance and bigotry once again.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:49PM

Just so I dont disappoint you, I have Muslim friends and students. My niece studied Arabic in Egypt and my cousin married a Muslim

Date: January 24, 2015 11:58PM

bona dea not logged in Wrote:
> Just so I dont disappoint you, I have Muslim
> friends and students. My niece studied Arabic in
> Egypt and my cousin married a Muslim

And was your niece allowed to leave the house unaccompanied by a male in Egypt? Was she allowed to drive? Allowed not to wear some kind of veil?

Please answer without your gratuitous insults this time, if that's possible for you.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:04AM

She didnt drive but only because she didnt have a car. She went out as she chose and wore American clothes. Women in Egypt, Jordan and many other Muslim countries wear the veil only if they choose to and mostly it is younger peole who do so as a source of pride. Only Saudi Arabia forbids women from driving.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:08AM

>She went out as she chose and wore American
> clothes. Women in Egypt, Jordan and many other
> Muslim countries wear the veil only if they choose
> to and mostly it is younger peole who do so as a
> source of pride.

I guess you haven't seen this recent video report then then:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/cairo-on-camera-shocking-footage-shows-what-its-like-for-a-woman-to-walk-down-the-street-in-egypt/story-fnh81ifq-1227047586425

Cairo on camera: Shocking footage shows what it’s like for a woman to walk down the street in Egypt

Date: January 25, 2015 12:19AM

My neice was there five years ago and the political situation was different then. Egypt is currently experiencing political unrest.I wouldnt go down the streets alone in any country,Muslim or not, where there is political unrest. We had a similar problem where there were riots and political demonstrations many times, most recently over race. So have all countries. Everything isnt about religion

Date: January 25, 2015 12:05AM

>I have also taken
> college level workshops and classes on Islam

So what? You're obviously no expert in spite of that.

>There are many types
> of Muslims as there are of Christians but thanks
> for proving your ignorance and bigotry once again.

How dare you?! I don't like oppressive, bloodthirsty mind-control systems so that makes me a bigot?

I also don't like Nazis.... am I a bigot for that too??

Date: January 25, 2015 12:09AM

Your equating all religions with the the worst of them is stereotyping and bigoted. Your question about Egypt shows how limited younknowledge of Islam is.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:30AM

> Your equating all religions with the the worst of
> them is stereotyping and bigoted. Your question
> about Egypt shows how limited younknowledge of
> Islam is.

God, you have awful manners -- and grammar. Women driving in Egypt is only barely tolerated by some.

Now, when have I derided "ALL religions"? Why are you lying? Answer me like a normal person please, and refrain from your passive aggressive tone.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:39AM

My manners are at least as good or better than yours. If you want to see where you have stereotyped religion, read your posts.If you didnt mean to do so, then be more careful how you word things.

Date: January 25, 2015 12:50AM

> My manners are at least as good or better than
> yours. If you want to see where you have
> stereotyped religion, read your posts.If you didnt
> mean to do so, then be more careful how you word
> things.

I've only made comments about Christianity and Islam. How is that "all religions"?

Posted by: bona dea.not.logged.in ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:02AM

I stand corrected. You onlybstereotype Christianity and Islam. That is so much better.

Date: January 25, 2015 01:42AM

bona dea.not.logged.in Wrote:
> I stand corrected. You onlybstereotype
> Christianity and Islam. That is so much better.

What a wonderful apology. Apology accepted.

As for the nasty bit you added at the end, how is it stereotyping something by pointing out what it is, what it does and what it says?

Posted by: bona dea not logged on ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 01:48AM

It is stereotyping becauuse there are vast differences in beliefs and customs in both Christianity and Islam. Pat Robertson is not anything like Desmond Tutu and King Hussein was nothing like Bin Ladin.It is also inaccurate to only point out bad things and ignore the good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.