Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 04:10PM

Had this experience some years back....turned out to be pleasant for both of us as we caught up on our lives with each other.

Kind of amazing how even though we've gone our separate ways that under the right circumstances that little "spark" could seemingly be rekindled...but perhaps that's wishful-thinking as well.

Just curious if you've ever run into an old "flame" somewhere and if it turned out the same or awkward or whatever.

That is of course if you care to share!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon now, regular poster ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 04:29PM

Posted by: anon saturday ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 04:56PM

I'm with reg. poster. DO NOT go back! I could write a book about my experience. I'm still uncovering lies/untangling the disaster.
They will morph into who they think you want them to be, but it will unravel.

Remember why you broke up. Those reasons don't disappear.

Cautionary Tale, less $300,000 retirement fund

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 04:32PM

No, I haven't met any old flames, but I did once kiss Don Bagley's brother back in the day. He was really cute!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 06:10PM

Who? Don or his brother??

<snicker>

;o)

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 04:53PM

No.. but as I turned to make my way back home the snow turned into rain.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 05:09PM

Yup, happened to me. Timing was off both times: I was dating someone else the first time sparks flew, and he was married the second time we ran into each other. Oh well.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 05:11PM

I did. We had lunch. I wondered what I ever saw in him. Ruined my fantasies.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 05:15PM

It's happened to me a few times over the years. Been there done that, water under the bridge. I love my wife.

I met my old lover
On the street last night
She seemed so glad to see me
I just smiled
And we talked about some old times
And we drank ourselves some beers
Still crazy after all these years
Still crazy after all these years

Paul Simon

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 05:58PM

Regarding that spark? Yes, it was still there. You don’t have to act on it though. It can be kind of neat to meet up with someone who you once shared a close bond with. It can be a nice change in a world so often filled with just superficial contacts. Coffee? Sure. But keep your head on though... especially if your married, LOL!

Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 05:24PM

Reconnected with my best guy friend from college days many, many years later. He’d gone from being Jack-Mo to Jack-Mo-with-garments.

Flames? Fire? Call 9-1-1

Short-term? Lots of fun.

Long term? Lots of complications

Was it worth exploring? Yes

Will I ever get in a relationship with a man w/ any kind of Mo status? No way, I’m intolerant of All Things Mo & this was a MAJOR problem.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 06:02PM

This has never and can never happen for me. My old lover's name is on panel W35 of the Vietnam Memorial Wall.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:14AM

:'(

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 06:14PM

Had torrid 6 week love affair in 1970. Broke up. Saw her 6 months later...more torrid stuff...another pause....8 months later and we got back together for good. Got married to her in '73....still am.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 08:53PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 06:54PM

Yes, I'm still friends with one of my ex's. There's no romantic spark on either side. He's a lovely guy, his wife is a lovely lady and his kids are terrific. It's been nice to have that friendship.

I think it helps that I'm very happily married too. I'd never do anything to jeopardize it. And, honestly, after many years of marriage, I still think my husband's a sexy beast. He walks through the door in his suit (I like a man in a well tailored suit.) and I think, "Damn! I'm a lucky woman."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 07:13PM

Regarding this subject of running into old lovers, when I think about it, I'm driving a Hertz rental car and I've purchased the full insurance package, so that the damage done to the car is covered.

And because I can't be the only one who has thought of this, I ALWAYS look both ways before crossing.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 07:22PM

Sorry, but you do know the Dan Fogelberg song "Another Auld Ang Syne" (sorry if my spelling is incorrect). But your story sounds similar and the song always makes me teary...

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:00PM

Bless you, my friend

The snow usually turns to rain...

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:15PM

Yes of course it's the opening line from Dan Fogelberg's, "Same Old Lang Syne".

That's why it resonates with so many of us...as i'm sure that's the scenario that was the impetus for his writing the song.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:22AM

I recognized it immediately as well. At the time I felt that I knew the places he was talking about in the song -- the grocery store, the bar, the liquor store. I could picture them going from place to place.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 08:23PM

I am SO sorry Releve, how incredibly sad. You and so many others have that sort of grief inside you, and it is unthinkable to me. I send my love! My first boyfriend was murdered, it took me many years to get over that.

I would be VERY reluctant to pick up again if I met my (other) old flame. He is Mormon royalty where he lives and totally TBM. Woudl he like me now? I DOUBT it. I am very liberal and an ex member. I think he would run a mile!!!

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 08:28PM

I got in touch with mine at a class reunion. Weird. I had had a lot of ideas about who she would be--she was so rebellious and sexy in school. But fifteen years later she had become, to put it bluntly, the most over-the-top churchy TBM I had ever seen. All she talked about was Jesus and the church, had about twenty kids, was RS president, etc. Funny thing is with all her testimony and all that crap she still tried to hook up with me...so maybe she WAS the same girl under all that Mormonism? I, the nonbeliever, had to tell her that it wouldn't be right...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 08:37PM

I guess they call that compartmentalizing.

Posted by: anon saturday ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 09:50PM

She had another burning in her bosom. Clearly, she regretted the 20 kids and counting. She would have turned into a stalker...

Posted by: exmoinh ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 10:00PM

Met my old love, on Facebook after being apart 32 years.

Bottom line: we rekindled all and more. Left uber mormon wife, moved across country, moved in with her, and married her last week.

There really are fairy tale endings, and the dream that you wish can come true.

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:28PM

I've gone and embarked my self and scared off enough women to say this with some backbone. Son. Leave her be. It's nice to catchup. But it's hard to have her around when you have all them unsaid thoughts flowing in the background. Let it be. Move on.

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:29PM

Goddammit. Effingham auto correct. Embarrassed not embarked.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 24, 2015 11:53PM

There is an old Meryl Streep/Robert DeNiro movie that depicts something similar.

It was called "Falling In Love".

Pretty good movie.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:45AM

I was going to say other than I was waiting for a missionary. I got a job to wait out the 2 years and a nonmo started working there a month after I did. I was the secretary. He was a chemist in a dept of about 26 scientists and chemists. We agreed we could never date.

After 8 months, he asked me out. I fell head over heels. About 4 months later, he quit and moved away, part of the reason being me and not even considering for a second that I could marry a nonmo. Even some of the mormon men couldn't figure out why I wouldn't marry him.

After my disastrous temple marriage, I kept in touch with one of his old friends off and on, but I found out on my own 10 years ago that he was getting a divorce just by watching "dexonline" and addresses and phone numbers. I called our old boss, who called this guy, and we have been in a relationship for 10 years now. It hasn't been perfect by any means, but we are still together.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 25, 2015 12:47AM

I had a summer fling in my early twenties and it ended when I moved halfway across the country. I was so crazy about the guy, and probably wouldn't have moved if he asked me to stay, but he didn't. I found out later he was also dating another woman at the same time. He got married to her shortly thereafter but I never forgot him. I moved back to PA, but he lived in another town. He had divorced and remarried.

Forward to the end of my 22-year marriage and I find out he's gotten a principal's job in the same school district where I was a teacher's aide. He was on the verge of his second divorce. We ended up having a 4-year something (not quite a a relationship) that started out with lots of passion and excitement but deteriorated as he kept holding me at arm's length, not wanting to quit the sex but not wanting to make any kind of commitment either. It fizzled out.

A part of me will always love him, but I know he's not right for me. I regret the rekindle only because it ended with me having a broken heart and feeling like I wasted all those years for nothing. I never found anyone else and probably never will.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.