Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:19PM

The US import ban of Cadbury's chocolate made in Britain is already having an impact on expats.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/01/27/two-men-arrested-as-2-5mn-shipment-of-cadburys-chocolate-seized-off-the-us-coast/

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, carry a few bars of Cadbury's chocolate when I cross the pond - if I do it again I'll be doing time in a US jail.

STAND UP FOR CADBURY'S CREAM EGGS AND DAIRY MILK!!!!!

:-)

Briggy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 05:27PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:21PM

This makes me very sad

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:21PM

And Smarties -- do they still make those? I don't get this whole Cadbury ban. It makes no sense.

Posted by: the inestigator ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:39PM

I am as patriotic a brit as they come, well as much as a pinko liberal can be, but come on everyone Belgian is best.
Why the ban, and why no LDS press conference on freedom of chocolates.
It's news to me.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:24PM

Hi Briggy. Yes, indeed. In Canada too, I fear. We have been prevented from consuming some of our favourite British goods for quite a while now. I used to love to crunch a Cadbury's fruit and nut chocolate bar every weekend but haven't been able to find one for ages. Same with Marks & Sparks foodstuffs, although that may be for a different reason. Their Christmas fruitcake, for instance, is the best, bar none, in the universe.

Cadbury's. Love 'em!

My mom used to bring a suitcase full of UK chocolate and even meat home from England. The dogs would have her now at the airport, either side of the pond.

As long as I can still get my Scottish marmalade (laced with whiskey) I'll be OK. If they take that away from us I will be truly bereft.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:17PM

My local Safeway in Alberta carry's Cadbury bars. So does Shopper's Drug Mart. I love them too. Much better than Hershey's IMHO.

RB

Date: January 27, 2015 07:18PM

Did Cadbury's do something to piss off the gummint?

RB

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:50PM

Let me understand this..... we in America will no longer be

getting Cadbury cream eggs?

if so..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This proves it... there really is no god.

Posted by: Tristan (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:00PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:00PM

No more carmellos???!!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:05PM

Contraband Cadbury chocolate? What the hell is going on? Why is it illegal? It's cocoa, not cocaine.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:11PM

This is terrible. What are my colleagues who visit from the London office supposed to bring if they cannot bring Cadbury chocolate? It is a crime against humanity! Or at least a crime against good office relations.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:13PM

Bring Swiss or Belgian chocolate instead. Way better anyway...

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:36PM

Actually, rt is right. Swiss, Belgian, even Bavarian chocolate is way better than Cadbury, imo. Even Nestle milk choc is better to me. Cadbury just doesn't deliver the goods.

Date: January 27, 2015 08:30PM

Agreed. I buy Lindt chocolates. Sinful.

Ron Burr

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:15PM

Why cannot the green jello company make a similar deal?

That would cripple any remaining social functions of LDS Inc.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:16PM

I always bring Cadbury's back when I visit the UK. Especially Easter eggs.
Why the new rule?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 04:28PM

The day that they convinced people that adding dairy based ingredient ( essentially garbage) to their product made their chocolate better, was the day they fooled a lot of people.

Posted by: anon here ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:28PM

Come to think of it, maybe Hersheys is in on this move, to reduce the competition.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:26PM

The ship carrying the contraband was called the 'Fruit and Nut' :-)

Everyone's a fruit and nut case - at least over here.

I can feel a song coming on :-)

Briggy

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:36PM

Hershey has the rights to make and sell Cadbury in the U.S. so they will stop some types of candy from U.K.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:42PM

Just be alert to companies (Hershey's perhaps?) which acquire licensing rights for a prestige name (Cadbury's in this case), but fail to use the right ingredients or recipe.

For example, Annheiser-Busch buys up the names for loads of microbrews and "legacy" beers (e.g. Narraganset, Iron City and Genoese), but what they put in those bottles just ain't the same.

You may see "Cadbury's" on the shelf. You may also be disappointed.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:38PM

I've had Cadbury's in Aussie and NZed and it still doesn't deliver... just my opinion tho, taste is personal after all.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:42PM

I love Cadbury's Caramel Bars. Hmmmm. Hershey's Kisses taste a bit like sick to me.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:07PM

This is a joke, right? Ha ha, good one.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:39PM

The site looks like a British version of the Onion.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:09PM

Cadbury in Britain & Cadbury in the US are definitely not the same – not in quality or taste or ingredients or anything.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:12PM

Some are calling for a a boycott against Hershey's:

http://kdvr.com/2015/01/27/fans-call-to-boycotthershey-after-import-ban/

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:32PM

God, I live not too far from Chocolate Town USA and I think Hershey's chocolate B.L.O.W.S. It tastes like brown wax.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:40PM

This is sad. I'm afraid Marmite might be next.

If it makes you feel any better, Ritter Sport is stronger than ever in the States.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:46PM

Good chocolate is made with cane sugar, and bad chocolate is made with corn syrup. NO American-made chocolate is as good as they were before the days of corn syrup.

There's a giant store in Cincinnati called Jungle Jim's. They carry lots of imported chocolates. Every time we go there, we load up on the good German stuff.

http://thechocolatecult.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-visit-to-jungle-jims-for-chocolate.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 08:47PM by randyj.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:51PM

I am a Droste, Ghirardelli girl myself. OH NO! Now I can get my fix easily online. This could be a problem..... http://www.ghirardelli.com/

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:53PM

In the greater Los Angeles area, we have a large community of greater UK-connected residents, especially in Santa Monica (a center of British culture here)...including a number of stores whose merchandise is about 100% UK-origin, and whose customers are probably north of 90% born-in-the-UK.

Does this ban apply to British-origin foodstuffs sold in [almost 100%] British stores...if the stores are actually in California, etc.???

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:55PM

The quality of most chocolate will be going down and/or the prices will rise.

If you've eaten a chocolate bar or other candy recently and the taste felt off, it's not in your head.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-chocolate-prices-are-set-to-rise/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/07/24/chocolate_is_getting_expensive_hershey_and_mars_both_raise_prices.html

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Hershey-Switching-Cheaper-Ingredients-2039796

I enjoy chocolate occasionally, especially the Cadbuy's brand. (except for the cream eggs. Gimme caramel any day.) but I can live with out it.

Posted by: IAmNotAMormon ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:02PM

Whew1 It's a satire website! (OP is)

Posted by: Sunbeam ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:26PM

Here is a non-satire site with the story. The new york times

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/nyregion/after-a-deal-british-chocolates-wont-cross-the-pond.html?_r=0

I get a box of cadbury roses from time to time from relatives. The might needs to hid them in other gift when they mail them. AGH!

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:22PM

I enjoy a godiva bar occasionally when they are onsale. My sister is a chocolate snob and bought this cause they were at the fancy stores, so I think it is pretty damn funny that I can buy them at walgreens and smiths. No class there, just food and drugs!!

Lindt is good too, I have only tried a couple. My ex partner got me some Belgian chocolate for Christmas. He "heard" I loved chocolate. They were pretty damn good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.