Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:36PM

Made the local news here in Michigan today. The overall opinion was that the chaperone must have confused the High School dance with her weekly meeting of the Tight Ass Club and that the school should probably apologize. Said one commenter, "this is why no one likes Mormons."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:46PM

I so look forward to a time when religions don't get to make up arbitrary standards and then insist that everyone, in church or out of it, live by those standards.

Making something which is perfectly innocent into a shameful event is far more dangerous than bare shoulders could ever be.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:49PM

I totally just high fived you through the internet

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 06:58PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:48PM

That made the news here in Australia!!!!!! I was amazed!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:52PM

Your distinguished, honored administration:

http://lphs.alpineschools.org/department-directory/

I know it doesn't mention it, but just based on looks do any of you Utah natives suspect any of these authority figures are Morgbots?

Frankly this has gone too far. Where I'm from a few wayward public school admins might do a few silly things, usually those that involve school safety. Where is the U.S. Department of Education to deal with this? This is a serious matter, and as these incidents add up there needs to be legal action taken against these people. We've shown that folks down in Hilldale/Colorado City have done the things these Lone Peak administrators are doing, albeit not to as severe a degree.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:54PM

"If someone gets aroused because they see my daughter’s human shoulders, that’s an issue that should be addressed with that boy."

LOL! Has any boy EVER been turned on by a bare shoulder? If so then yeah, that is a matter for the boy's psychiatrist.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:16PM

EVER? Yes, me. On a first date. But it's OK because I ended up marrying her. Forty years later I still have the same wife, and the same opinion.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:04PM

LOL, and good on you. It sounds like your date's bare shoulders helped create a stable, long term relationship, which is a good thing.

I am glad that you did the honorable thing after seeing your date in intimate apparel ;)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:01PM

If I had to use one word to describe how she looks in that dress, it would be classic. Young women dressed like that when I was a kid. I don't remember any controversy, and I was raised in a strict Mormon house. What's going on here? This is new, isn't it?

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:04PM

I feel like I just lost some innocence I can NEVER get back.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:06PM

I think they should file a lawsuit. There is nothing wrong with that dress. She planned a fun night with friends and instead was handed a scarlet letter.

Why didn't they give the guys special blurry glasses so the girls are all out of focus?

Even toddler girls are getting covered up. How revolting is that?

The church has no concept of the wreckage they cause and what sort of people they unleash on the world.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:23PM

I think the whole thing is sickening, with infants and toddlers having to have their shoulders covered. In my opinion, if someone thinks a toddler is "tempting" them with bare shoulders, that is someone who should never be allowed to be alone with children.

This is why people don't like Mormons that much, but like Mittens, they're extremely delusional and think the world revolves around them.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:19PM

In reality they should be worried about the "slow dances" and whether or not an algebra book will fit between them.

I'm sorry but almost any teen boy gets woody dancing with a girl that close. Um, is that your keys? Nope!!

Seriously. I am ashamed that I pay taxes to alpine school district. Also happy I don't have a daughter to deal with this bullshit.

Date: January 29, 2015 09:50PM

Jonny,

Please complain to the school district. Your money supports these backward "educators." They are educating, that girls can be shamed in public, for ridiculous, archaic "standards" based on Mormon underwear.

National news should know why Utah schools are enforcing these "standards."

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:29PM

Business opportunity:

Sell "Black Rectangle" epaulets that clip onto girls' shoulder straps to save masturbation-starved boys from erections and blue balls caused by bare shoulders.

Or better yet, spike the punch with saltpeter to keep those trowser tents at bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

"Potassium nitrate was once thought to induce impotence, and is still falsely rumored to be in institutional food (such as military fare) as an anaphrodisiac; however, there is no scientific evidence for such properties."

Missionaries should be required to eat potassium nitrate instead of salt. It should also be added to sacrament water.

Date: January 29, 2015 09:53PM

One of your fellow posters suggested shoulder burqas.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:34PM

If I lived in American Fork i'd be parading myself all over town in a sleeveless lace top.

I'm 60, so I wouldn't look near as cute as that girl does. If she were my daughter or granddaughter, i'd be on a rampage like no other. What in the hell are those people thinking!???

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:51PM

I so wish that you were that girl's mother or grandmother. I would very much like to see your rampage. Would you consider doing it, if I (who have no authority whatsoever in the matter) declared you an officially designated surrogate parental unit?

As to what those people are thinking --- they are thinking, "I want power. I need power. I need to control everyone else. I really need it. I deserve it. I am better than everyone else and that makes me the very best person to be the boss of everyone else. I NEED to control YOU!"

I'm pretty sure that I have that bit of mind reading correct.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:46PM

I spent the weekend posting about this on Facebook. My friends, even the ones who are TBM, liked my post. I dug out my old yearbooks 1963, 1964, 1965. About one third of the girls in the dance pictures would not have passed the three finger rule. In the 1965 year book the Junior Prom picture only had one girl who would have passed. I attended a high school in the Salt Lake Valley. The dresses we wore to high school proms were also being worn to formal events at BYU.

Even here in Utah, this craziness in fairly recent. My daughters were not subjected to this kind of scrutiny in the late 80s and early 90s.

My granddaughter however, has had to wear the shirt of shame because her shirt didn't go to the edge of her shoulder. To be really safe from censure she has to wear a cap sleeve top to school.

Modesty isn't just about how much skin you see. I can costume a girl in clothing that covers her from her chin to her wrist and her toes and still make her look like a hooker, or I can put her in camisole leotard and make her look like an angel. Once my costume has made that first impression, the girl can, with her expression and movement, change your mind. Modesty is an attitude.

Date: January 29, 2015 09:58PM

What is the shirt of shame?

This insanity is so infuriating!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:10PM

The shirt of shame is a T shirt that is kept in the office for modesty offenders to wear over their own shirt. At my granddaughters high school it's just a shirt with the school name and mascot. The shame comes from the fact that nobody wears that shirt to school on a regular school day, and it probably doesn't match the rest of your outfit. In other words, everyone knows why you're wearing the shirt.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:58PM

Yes, modesty is an attitude. Which brings us back to this:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1498612

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:00PM by justarelative.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.