Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:21PM

I know there are many modern doctrine and quotes that contradict past prophets and apostles; yet, now we have current apostles contradicting each other.

In the past, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young would allow the brethren to argue amongst themselves and then put in a final say on who won the debate or who is correct.

Dallin Oaks on treating SSA family with civility and love (spoiler alert he's against it)."One of three speakers at the press conference was Dallin Oaks. He has long been the Mormon church's lead antagonist of gay people. A few years ago Mr. Oaks was asked what a parent should say to their own gay child if he asked, "Can I bring my partner to our home to visit?" Mr. Oaks said, "I can imagine some circumstances in which it might be possible to say, 'Yes, come, but don't expect to stay overnight. Don't expect to be a lengthy house guest. Don't expect us to take you out and introduce you to our friends, or to deal with you in a public situation that would imply our approval of your 'partnership.'" It is galling that the LDS church would use him as a mediator with the LGBTQ community."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brooke-p-hunter/how-the-mormons-punked-th_b_6564238.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

Quentin L. Cook on the same subject, "As a church, nobody should be more loving and compassionate. Let us be at the forefront in terms of expressing love, compassion and outreach. Let’s not have families exclude or be disrespectful of those who choose a different lifestyle as a result of their feelings about their own gender."
http://mormonsandgays.org/

So who do we believe? One is a secular news site, the other a church approved site. It seems that most TBMs are siding with Oaks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:23PM

They argue behind closed doors. They then try to wipe it clean off the internet. They pretend like that never happened.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:58PM

We may have witnessed the result of a "behind closed doors" argument among the 12. Oaks was hoarse in today's "Trib Talk" interview. I could suspect he got that by shouting down the rest of the 12 so he could be the Senior Apostle to present his view and answer questions based on his view.

Could be?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:03PM

Members and non-members are living by the proverb, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me".

Example is the many news sites that are scoffing TSCC's news conference yesterday. Huffington Post, Daily Beast, New York Times, etc...

I'm so happy that people are calling out the leaders on their hypocrisy, flip-flopping, omissions and down right lies.

This has been happening since GBH's interviews on 60 mins, Larry King and Holland's BBC interview to yesterday's "news conference".

We're not going to listen to their Bulls*** anymore without calling them on it!!!

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:32PM

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:42PM

They have to. No revelation. No inspiration.

Just old men.

Just old values.

Just old.

Out of date.

Out of touch.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:51PM

All it is is "good-cop/bad-cop". They do it all the time with Dieter playing "good-cop".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:05PM

Develop a Personal Relationship with Christ <> Don't

Prophet will say 'Thus Saith The Lord' <> Don't have to

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:21PM

Just like with scriptures, they make it so that the believer can find justification for any side of any topic.

The leadership licks their finger, sticks it up in the air and determines which way the wind of social opinion is going. Then they downplay one view and focus on another. They hope that the sheep will forget all the things that were embarrassingly wrong.

The problem is, all the stupid stuff is still in the scriptures. It's still in the conference talks. The people who finally see the process and add up the contradictions have to either rationalize or admit the it's made up opinions.

If enough time passes, no one cares. They will just say, "That was a long time ago. It doesn't matter now."

Religion has been getting away with this for centuries.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:24PM

It will all work out in the millennium.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:30PM

Date: January 29, 2015 10:42PM

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:30PM

when they disagree they resolve it in a special room in the temple. They strip down, oil up, and wrestle until one submits to the stronger apostle's "priesthood."

Date: January 29, 2015 10:46PM

... like a regular circle jerk, except each apostle gives a hand job to the apostle on his right.

The first apostle to successfully produce milk from meat gets to make the decision.

(For purposes of this post, please pretend that a stick of jerky qualifies as meat.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:47PM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:43PM

gerontocracy

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:48PM

I don't think they disagree on this issue. Today Oakes said that parents shouldn't kick their kids out because they come out of the closet. Then he went on to say that parents shouldn't accept everything that their kids do.

In other words, Hate the sin but love the sinner. They all consider gay sex a sin. I think they would all counsel parents that to allow a gay couple to share the same room is to condone sin.

I don't think those old men are going to change their minds. I don't think they can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.