Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mega-Super Anon for This ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:11AM

Promised not to snitch, and if it ever questioned by anyone, the cover story to be put out by all is that it was a dinner and teaching visit. (Food WILL be served - football-themed snacks!)

They accepted with joyful alacrity.

They are fans of the same team that we are.

Just think - they get to behave like normal American citizens on Super Bowl Sunday.

Nothing like subtly sticking it to TSCC. Oh, the Slippery Slope!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:15AM

And fortunately early enough in the month that home teachers doing invasive recon work should not be a knockin.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 04:24AM

good for you! Awesome that you are opening your home to the mishies. I used to have several over a few years ago but after I told them I wanted to help them out of the cult that ended that. I hope you will have better success.

Posted by: The investigator ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 05:28AM

I bet they can't believe their luck, I am english so I have no idea how long the Super Bowl lasts with all the ads and stopping between plays and shit, but that gives them hours of preaching the lawds words to you. Joy of joys.:)
how will they account for their time to their ubermeister.

Posted by: The investigator ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 05:41AM

oh just read the dinner and teaching mission.Enjoy the day, good on you. I would have been gutted at their age if I had to miss a major soccer (proper football :) ) final I would have been gutted.
I have only just discovered you can combine dinner with a teaching visit. Shame I would have loved to have cooked a dinner each week for the missionary sisters I had. Darn it.
On the hand it was probably better the church never had my address, I had lessons at the visitor centre.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 10:38AM

Tell them to bring comfortable clothes to change into. No one watches the Super Bowl in a suit.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:00AM

Honestly, how can anyone be excited about a game where (at least) one of the two teams clearly got there by cheating?

I'm not against pro football, I'm just curious.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 02:18PM

It creates a clearer "good guys vs. the bad guys" scenario, making it easier to root for someone.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 02:48PM

Templar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly, how can anyone be excited about a game where (at least) one of the two teams clearly got there by cheating?

I hope you have other stronger evidence of cheating beyond under-inflated footballs. Do you really think that under-inflated footballs CLEARLY got one of the teams into the Super Bowl? Really??

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 03:34AM

the franchise began. My oldest son was born in the same month, the same year, and in the same suburb as the franchise made its debut.

It's normally not THAT big of a deal if I don't care about either team. And I love the Budweiser commercials! I hope they don't disappoint me this year. The last two years have been great.

Posted by: truckerexmo ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 02:51PM

The under inflated balls just serves to off-set over inflated egos.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:00PM

I served in Korea and watched 2 Super Bowls in their entirety. The game was broadcast live on Armed Forces TV Network and because of the time difference it was 9:00 Monday morning, P-Day. Since I am from Northern California, I distinctly remember the Raiders beating the Vikings in January 1977.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:29PM

If you're a serious golfer, you've run into people who 'mold' & 'flex' the rules to favor themselves. And it's "legal", in that you can't get a ruling when you're involved in a week day skins game, so they just smirk at you and proceed to take relief from a gopher hole that they can just get a foot on when they line up to hit left handed with their driver. Once they take their drop, (now clear of the tree or bush that bugged them) they proceed to hit the ball normally (right-handed) with a seven iron.

But after awhile, these guys don't hear about changes in time, or venue for the games, or they figure out that they aren't really all that welcome, so they look for a new group of suckers. We're not talking about breaking the rules, because in golf, if you're caught cheating, you're pretty much a pariah.

I think this is what some people resent about the Patriots; rather than playing it as it lays, they look for relief. Even when it's within the rules, some perceive it as quasi cheating. I know it's not cheating, but I'm too old fashioned to appreciate the Art of Doing ANYTHING to Win. It's probably the age old dichotomy: is it better to play "honorably" and lose, or push the limits of the rules and win?

This, and other topics of discussion, are what make fire places, comfortable chairs and a favorite snack and drink, so much fun, when you're among friends.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:32PM

Good for you (and for them). No doubt they will appreciate this break from their daily drudgery of door knocking.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:38PM

But the Saints aren't in the game!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 03:38AM

the Ain'ts make me feel queasy. (That's actually what we called them when we lived there.) They are forever linked in my mind with very unhappy memories.

Sorry, don.

Posted by: notinkansas ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 05:22PM

Lol, this reminds me several years back when my mom was married to her last, 5th husband, who was a convert for her...

He had a house with a big swimming pool...a pool table in the basement...a massive BBQ...and was an amazing cook. He'd invite over sometimes 5+ missionaries at a time, turn on the game system we had--whatever it was back in the early 90s--turn on Football on our big screen TV (that was uncommon back in those days) and cook up a storm. Classic rock music would even be playing too. There were nights where we'd have chicken, ham, a lasagna...all these side dishes and snacks. So much food. It was always a total party.

One day my mom had friends over from her work, and, when I went downstairs to see the Missionaries playing pool, I saw one of the missionaries kiss my mom's coworker. He said "Shh! Please don't tell ANYONE". I never did, until just right now.

I was sad too, I always had crushes on the missionaries when I was young. Every single one. I always thought they were cute, super nice to me and always gave me more attention than I could handle. :)

Anyway, eventually the church told my mom and her husband Paul that the missionaries couldn't come over like that anymore. I guess it got out somehow that they were coming over to party, rather than teach the gospel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.