Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:52PM

... is a boycott on goods and services produced by their "investments". It might be difficult when there is no transparency on what those "investments" are.

Let's be honest though, TSCC engages in business ventures, not investments. Investing is when you hold a diversified portfolio of assets, such as shares and bonds. A business venture is when you build a shopping mall.

All it would take is for TSCC to cause enough outrage in the general population to warrant action. While we wait for that to happen, it would be a good idea to make a list of TSCC's business ventures. I don't want any of my consumer dollars to go to a pro-polygamy, anti-equal rights cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:55PM

That would not hurt LDS Inc as much as a COB raid by IRS agents, hopefully with handcuffed LDS senior management getting the perp walk.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:02PM

Just reading that improbable scenario created for me the need for a cigarette and a towel.

Thank you.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:11PM

If TSCC found out about the raid in advance they would probably arm the minions and fight to the death WACO style. It would not be pretty.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:35PM

The Invisible Green Potato Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If TSCC found out about the raid in advance they
> would probably arm the minions and fight to the
> death WACO style. It would not be pretty.

And certainly make for some uncomfortable conversations between missionaries and "investigators"

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:48PM

That would be awesome

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:57PM

Financial Disclosure

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 12:04AM

The TSCC would crumble and collapse rapidly if the public ever got their hands on the cult's last twenty years of tax returns. I for one would really like to know which GAs got forgivable loans from the church, and how much each loan was for. Forgivable loans are a way to pay church leaders millions of dollars each, in a way that allows the church leader to claim they don't get paid. When the church leader eventually dies of old age, the church forgives the loan. The money is also tax free since the taxes aren't due until the church forgives the loan after the GA dies. The IRS can't collect taxes from dead people. Since the church plans things out this way, the whole thing is a scam. It's like barrowing money with the intent to bankrupt it later, with no intent to ever pay it back... illegal and immoral. It's a form of fraud. When the tithe payers see everything, the fraud will end.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:19AM

azsteve Wrote:
> When the tithe payers see everything, the fraud
> will end.

I seriously doubt that the average TBM would have the patience to read a financial report. They are only going to hear the spin that they are fed from official sources.

TSCC doesn't need members when they have a business empire. That is why I think hurting the business empire would hurt them the most.

Movements like Ordain Women would exert more pressure if they boycotted mormon products rather than try to get in to a men-only meeting.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 08:00AM

I think the ordain women movement might help. And most members wouldn't have the patience to read the church's tax returns if they were available. But what would happen is this. Credible media outlets would report on the highlights. Headlines would make it back to the church membership, just like the stories of JS having 40 wives, some of them still the wives of living men did. Those details would bother people over time. The tithes would gradually decrease. More people would leave the church. Church owned businesses would start to hurt as people choose to do business elsewhere. No one wants to see the bad guy win. A combined effort from millions of people acting independently would stop some of the cashflows to the church. Non-members would become even more difficult to convert. After people see how badly they've been lied to and used for decades, the church would be seen by a lot more people for what is, a money grubbing cult.

Date: January 31, 2015 07:06AM

I think I agree with you azsteve. Financial disclosure wouldn't be the end of TSCC but it would hurt it a lot. People might start paying their rent before tithing when they hear a really big number that describes how rich TSCC is.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:25AM

The IRS has a name for forgiven loans. They call it "income". And they do collect taxes from dead people. Form 1041.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:28AM

Churches do not file tax returns.

That's why they are able to become to rich! "Separation of Church and State" in America is a myth.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:11AM

All we need is a LDS Edward Snowden with access to the paperwork, and a copier or good phone camera.

I am sure Julian Assange would be happy to host any documents for public scrutiny.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:20AM

Mormon Leaks is letting us down :(

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 07:14AM

I have no doubt that Mormons have a better security structure in place than the government or military has. Our government tends to run stuff in a shoddy fashion, and maybe TSCC does not. (I contradict myself when I say that, though, because I well know how shoddy some parts of their record keeping are, particularly temple bookkeeping.)

Date: January 30, 2015 07:11AM

TSCC has a portfolio of businesses that is so well diversified that it can withstand most anything. If you want to hurt TSCC, you have to expose information through broadcast, print, and social media. They hate that. Just in the last two days we've seen them emerge from the usual quiet growl of kabuki theatre to having to resort to smiling vaudeville soft-shoe and tap dance on a public stage. This was all due to exposure. God, they hate that.

Date: January 31, 2015 07:11AM

cludgie Wrote:
> TSCC has a portfolio of businesses that is so well
> diversified that it can withstand most anything.

But does it? It seems to me that they are heavily into things that they think will be needed for the second coming, such as food production and shopping malls. I don't think they have a balanced share portfolio. I think they fully own certain businesses that could be boycotted.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 07:51AM

You're on your own on the boycott thing. There are Mormon farmers who grow barley and I 'know' that they are true because I love beer.

Date: January 30, 2015 09:13AM

Idaho gives us beer. God bless Idaho! (You did not just hear me say that. I'll deny having said it.)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 08:20AM

How about the MORmON PRofit saying something really really stupid on Big time National Network TV, when a lot of people are watching, like some kind of super funny unfathomable Freudian slip that is really embarrassing to the MORmON cause. Something so stupid that he would rather die than do it, something so stupid that he would not consider doing it even if he was offered a billion dollar bribe. Well. it will never happen, but we can always dream about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

Date: January 30, 2015 09:14AM

"...in the name of Jesus Smith, Amen."

Date: January 30, 2015 11:50AM

smirkorama Wrote:
> How about the MORmON PRofit saying something
> really really stupid on Big time National Network
> TV, when a lot of people are watching, like some
> kind of super funny unfathomable Freudian slip
> that is really embarrassing to the MORmON cause.
> Something so stupid that he would rather die than
> do it, something so stupid that he would not
> consider doing it even if he was offered a billion
> dollar bribe. Well. it will never happen, but we
> can always dream about it.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

Although this guy is fortunately quite dead now, this did not seem to hurt his church. It is about an ignorant a statement as I have ever heard from a "religious" leader.

I could also imagine Boyd Packer making the same statement when he was still coherent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 06:47AM

deco Wrote:

> Although this guy is fortunately quite dead now,
> this did not seem to hurt his church.

You are correct.

And it is absolutely amazing ( AMAZING !!!) to me that MORmON members are so oblivious to EPIC MORmON blunders like this, including Joe Smith's nasty wife collecting habit. The rest of the world? - they pretty much already know that MORmONS are extreme idiots.

Date: January 31, 2015 07:13AM

Give Hinkley a break, he was clearly drunk off his face. I haven't heard anyone slur their speech that much for a long time.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:43AM

I think the internet is slamming them already. It's cut the flow of converts big time. It's giving members information that was previously difficult or impossible to find. The internet is exposing anything and everything that gets out about mormonism.

They may have a ton of businesses, but their major source of free money is gradually drying up. They have billions of dollars worth of buildings. Some of them sit on prime property, but many don't.

If they lost the church part of their business I would be happy about that. Let them go off and run their businesses. At least then they would have to pay taxes on every thing, and people wouldn't be throwing money at them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.