Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ab ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:17PM

During my life I have seen conflicts that seemed never ending. Yet, sometimes they do evolve -Protestants vs. Catholic in Ireland, communism vs. capitalism, Lebanon fighting, Palestine vs. Israel, Republicans vs. Democrats (getting worse and not better), and most enduring ex-Mormon Atheist vs. ex-Mormon theists. I have entered into the fray at times in order to try to have the forum be an open place for those figuring out life post Mormon without being assaulted or minimized if they have or report experiences outside of rational explanation. Labels are often applied such as ghost stories and experiences trivialized; thought doctors with rational borders jumping in to protect ex-Mormons from any virus idea outside the rational domain.

I propose a shift in the discussion from atheist vs. theist to left vs. right brain. This moves the discussion beyond labels and into the territory of both science and personal experience. In the following Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts (RSA) video Psychiatrist Iain McGilchrist discusses right and left brain differences.
http://www.ted.com/talks/iain_mcgilchrist_the_divided_brain

He states that we in the modern world are out of balance with left brain domination. The left brain’s place is rightly that of the emissary and the right brain should be the master. The left brain can verbalize and rationalize while the right brain looks at the big picture and transcends ego identification.

Try an experiment. Sit still for just one minute and watch what goes on in your head.
The thoughts running through your head are from your left brain. In order to enter the domain of the right brain you must go through the door of silence – the left brain must become disciplined to the point of stillness. I am talking about meditation. One way of thinking about meditation is that it consists of practices to quiet the noisy left brain in order to experience reality from the right brain. Here is a video on the importance and power of meditation: http://www.wimp.com/modemeditation/

I commented recently on Sam Harris’s new book, “Waking Up.” ( http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1474231 ) He impressed me in being able to defend against irrational beliefs while being willing to do the hard work of transcending the left brain’s noise and experience reality transcendence of ego or personal identification through meditation. This is the essence of the mystical experience.

I love understanding rationally. I am enthusiastic about rational thinking. In my mind most of the arch defenders of rationality on this site that stand poised to attack mystical experience, such as described by Sam Harris, myself, and many on this web site, are irrational and not scientific because they criticize other’s right brain experiences when they have not explored right brain consciousness in their own head. I would be much more interest in what anyone of these individuals had to say after they developed the strength to sit in alert silence for five minutes without thoughts going off like popping popcorn in their head.

Focused meditation has been the largest factor of change and meaning in my life. There are countless sources on the net on meditation but to start with you can just sit in a relaxed state with good posture and focus on your breathing. Notice the breath in and then notice the breath out. Repeat. Meditation is to the mind like lifting weights is to the body. It strengthens our ability to not have our thoughts and emotions kick sand in our face. Whenever a thought comes in during meditation catch it as soon as possible and gently bring your attention back to your breath. Feel the aliveness of your body. The left brain is disconnected from body consciousness.

As Psychiatrist Iain McGilchrist states in the video linked above, the left brain understands the parts but not the whole, it understands things in isolation and is ultimately lifeless. Thoughts and our left brain should serve us but for most people thought become our masters with resulting anxiety and depression. Without a meditation practice most people lack a mental center. One thought after another takes over consciousness. Meditation develops this center; awareness of awareness- awareness of thoughts and feelings without being imprisoned inside them (My inner child is anxious vs. I am anxious).

I am interested in hearing from anyone willing to take the five minute meditation challenge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:51PM

I started meditating at fourteen

I haven't run into any conflict between meditation and rational thought

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:58PM

I agree with your post ab. I meditate regularly; sometimes even getting up before dawn, and doing different meditations for 2 ½ or 3 hours. Whenever I’ve done a regular practice like this, I’ve always been able to notice how it resolved many of the negative situations in my life. Although, that would be a claim some might see as magical. But it really isn’t so illogical. It works because my own mental struggle against things is often the real enemy. Stop the struggle with the thoughts and emotions, and you sometimes stop the external problem as well; it just vanishes, because the problem was really all in your head (in your ego).

Namaste.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:17PM

Focused meditation as I do in Tai Chi calms the entire soul.

Concentrating on deep breathing and letting go of the outside stimulation of the world has extraordinary benefits mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I'd like to add the word rationally to that list.

Stop the struggle with internal thoughts and emotions with simple meditation, and I've chosen Tai Chi. It helps to focus on the inner self in sending oxygen to each part of the body. It helps keep me focused and balanced. Quiet, serene, without distractions.

Even if for a short time, minutes even, meditation has rescued me from the struggles outside myself.

Thanks for the post.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:04PM

If we had integrated perceptual modes (or hemispheres), we wouldn't staunchly defend one side, especially by trying to discredit the other. It seems that this is more a tendency of the verbal mind than the visual. But in either case, this may be a displacement of some mistrusted or under-exercised part of our own awareness onto outside "others" who represent the opposed and less comfortable part. It reminds me of--and probably is quite similar to--when we fight against enemies, dragons, or fearful figures in our dreams...without realizing that these are all dreamed up by the Dreamer (who is NOT the I-figure in the dream).

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:34PM

>> when we fight against enemies, dragons, or fearful figures in our dreams...without realizing that these are all dreamed up by the Dreamer <<

Yes, Richard. This is how I interpret reality too. Meditation helps me stay in the right space regarding this concept, because I have one of those ADD egos that likes to dream up all sorts of monsters for me to fight with … LOL. It’s amazing, though, how well some meditating can work for beating back the old 'dragon enhancer'. When will my assemblage point just stay where I want it to be? (You don’t have to answer that.)

Posted by: ab ( )
Date: February 10, 2015 09:56AM

The first half of life is for left brain dissection. The second half is for right brain integration. The fragmentation of our dreams is a representation of the fragmentation of our mind. Meditation, dream work, and mindfulness bring lucidity and balance to both day and night. Do you have lucid dreams where you know you are dreaming? It does require patience. As the poet Rumi said, “We need more help than we have imagined.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.