Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: istandallamazed ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 12:22AM

This post isn't really aimed at atheists. I get where you're coming from.

I've asked myself what it would take to go back. You'd have to cut to the core to get me back. Mainly, Joseph Smith would have to go. That's a pretty deep excision that Mormonism probably would not survive.

The weird temple ceremonies would have to go. Along with the polygamy. And sealings, which keep more people out than it embraces. A small, open temple could be used for open weddings, baptisms and other come one come all events.

Also, you'd have to change the church corporate structure. Right now, all property is in one man's hands. It's not your typical 501C3. Then you could have REAL voting, not fake voting. Let's face it: since we have more than one man in charge (at least 15 men), you WILL have voting, so why pretend this isn't the case? Let's have a real elected board with women included, and stop pretending like we just had brunch with Jesus right before the meeting and are relaying His desires!

If you look at the people (who I happen to generally like), there is something there: the desire to be and do good.

If you get 15 million people (or even 5 million) on that "boat", maybe you have something to work with.

In a way, I see it as a giant recovery group, that gains its identity from all having been hugely duped at some time. Kind of like the people here. Or like the people who gather in some kind of identity because they all survived a plane crash.

Don't know if a belief in God, the desire to do some good, and the willingness to admit we've been "had" (laughing through the tears) is enough to create a church. Maybe I've just described Unitarianism...

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.