Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: no19 ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 10:17PM

It was revealed that Janelle's mom is married to Kody's dad. So yes, they are half-siblings and married.

They were visiting the family ranch in Wyoming tonight and it all came together looking way too much like Colorado City and uncomfortable. Kody's dad was nonexistent and mentally gone. The older wives looked worn down and miserable.

I don't think I can watch it anymore. ::Shudders::

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 10:21PM

Where can I find it online?

It's only clips on youtube.

Help!!!! Please!!!

Date: March 20, 2011 10:36PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAd58XdMfVA&feature=related

It doesn't look like the latest one is up yet but it should be by tomorrow I bet. You can watch the first one though.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 10:32PM

Sorry to say, but with TLC you gotta pay to play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 10:32PM by luckychucky.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 10:33PM

Janelle said that her mom embraced polygamy at the same time as she did and married Kody's dad a few months before she (Janelle) married Kody.

Still kind of icky though.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 12:44AM

Yeah they are only step siblings who are also ex siblings in law.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 04:24AM

is his own brother-in-law.

Posted by: Robert ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 11:36PM

I think that's sick beyond belief. I can't believe TLC would create a reality show like this.

Time to organize a boycott

Posted by: digriffino ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:16AM

A boycott? Get over yourself. lol

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 11:42PM

times after the original episode. Yeah that was an ick factor even though they are not really related...

Posted by: otherlives ( )
Date: March 20, 2011 11:48PM

Yeah, I was kinda taken aback at the marriage fest too. Finally a bit of juice though. The show is so utterly manufactured--the wives and Kody constantly reiterating how perfect their lives are, the kids running healthily around outside, the lack of any drama that's gotta be happening in a house like that...

It strangely reminded me of home though...I was raised in very central, rural Utah, and distant and not-so-distant relatives tend to marry, over and over. It was a bit of joke for those of us who migrated into Happy Valley...but still. Weird.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 12:25AM

The show was on in the background at a family gathering tonight. The sound was off, so it was just video. It's interesting to hear you say that they all talk about how perfect and happy they are- because it looked like they were all talking about a funeral or something. The wives looked on the verge of tears most of the time. The body language was very telling. I swear, I probably learned more about them by watching it with the sound off than I ever could actually watching the show...

They look unhappy and ready to crack. one thing we all agreed on, though, is that Kody is a douche bag and none of us understand how he got ONE wife, let alone 4...

Date: March 21, 2011 12:43AM

I admit it was icky from the start but the way they produced it and tried to make it look so normal, modern, healthy, happy etc. I was starting to think maybe they were different than the Warren Jeffs group. No such luck.

Like you said Bekahigh it's so manufactured to look that way, I guess they couldn't help it though once they got out on the "ranch" in Wyoming. I told my husband I could FEEL the awkwardness just from watching it!

Ok and did anyone else notice when they were talking about how "Uncle Tim likes to wrassle" and the wives and kids looked SO uncomfortable. That was weird for sure. I wonder what the TLC camera crew was thinking?!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 12:48AM

Doesn't Kody look like a party boy who has a couple of questionable baggies in the glove box of his pick up? The size of the house seems incongruent with Kody's projected personality. Does he really make that much income?

The wives range from frumpy to expansive. What is with this family? I like how Kody dated the fourth wife without telling the others that he was doing so until he was engaged. Then (maybe because she was younger and hotter than the others) he took her on an extra long honeymoon. I think a couple of the older, frumpier wives just got a weekend at motel six. Wife number four got surfing and diving on the west coast.

Kody wanders around the house in the morning, bragging that he can't remember where he left his pants. There are a lot of bedsides. His pants could be beside the bed of any of the women, though not likely the fat one. She has to get up and make breakfast for a regiment of children.

It's a horror show of human indignity.

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 12:49AM

so let's roll (or believe) with it. This is 'Core' Mormonism--even if leaders say 'I don't know that we teach that' or it is a 'couplet' and on and on....

The Restored Gospel includes Celestial Marriage--enough said!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 01:07AM

I've never seen the show, only seen the four of them on "Oprah," which disgusted me with Oprah because I felt like she was trying to portray it as normal too. I hated how Oprah never asked them about their religious beliefs--obviously, the only way most women would volunteer for this type of indignity is because they believe that otherwise they cannot be "saved."

So, I'm curious: For those who watch the show, do the women (or the husband) ever discuss their actual religious beliefs? Doctrine?

Date: March 21, 2011 02:12AM

Actually they do. I have heard them mention Joseph Smith several times. They almost always say that they are fundamentalist Mormons, not mainstream Mormons. I think they were probably told to make that distinction.

But the 2nd wife Janelle was raised mainstream LDS Mormon and later converted, along with her mom--who married Kody's dad after joining. Also, Kody was raised mainstream and decided to join the faith after returning from his LDS mission. They have been open about that much.

On the show they pray and talk about "eternal families" a lot. I think they also mentioned sealings on the wedding episode. They've never shown them at church yet.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 11:22AM

Well, wife # 2 was married to wife #1's brother before they divorced so she could marry wife #1's husband.
Sounds like some of those Smith/Young/Kimball arrangements they had. "But we call it "The Principle".
How about SICK!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 11:45AM

Janelle's mom married Cody's dad AFTER Janelle decided to go plyg.
They were all adults at the time. They are not related at all.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 21, 2011 11:46AM

My mom refuses.... and my dad won't watch it because he doesn't want to listen to my mom ranting and cussing about it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 02:22AM

It was common, a century or so ago for men to marry a sister, if his wife died.

I don't know why people are so judgmental. It's their choice, their life and they can live it as they choose. They are consenting adults.

Polygamy is lived in many places of the world.

I have known people whose daughter and son married the opposing parents.

It may be illegal in the US, but usually, until some kind of law is broken re: children, it goes on.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 05:50AM

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 11:02AM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know why people are so judgmental. It's
> their choice, their life and they can live it as
> they choose. They are consenting adults.

Because they are putting their lives out on a reality show and are begging to be judged, that is what gets ratings.

>
> Polygamy is lived in many places of the world.

Yes, usually in places where women have no political power. It is often an abusive practice. Just because something was done before, does not make it good...take slavery for example.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 12:37PM

Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" Wrote:
Re: your statements.
I won't make a judgment about whether it is right or wrong. It's not about that, or good or bad. All of life is a little of all of that. That's my position: their choice, their right, and people can watch the show or not.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 04:36PM

Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" Wrote:
> > [Polygamy is lived in many places of the world.]
>
> Yes, usually in places where women have no political power. It is often an abusive practice.

I agree. I think that it is an emotionally unhealthy practice that is demeaning to both women and men.

Human males and females are born in roughly a 1:1 ratio. I have to think that there is some reason in nature behind that. Since most people want to find a companion and have a family, it doesn't make a lot of sense for members of one sex to be monopolized by just a few individuals of the other sex.

And what happens to all the leftover men? Too bad, so sad? Look at the developing situation in China with the growing overabundance of single young men. What will happen to China's culture as these young men come to realize that they will never find a partner or have a family of their own?

What about the "lost boys" of the FLDS? What sort of healthy advanced Western culture encourages the complete abandonment of its young males? What mother in her right mind would allow this to happen to her own son?

Polygamy is a scourge on humanity. All this because Joseph Smith couldn't keep it in his pants? Really?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:45PM

China is already discovering that.

http://debatepedia.idebate.org/en/index.php/It_is_socially_destabilizing_when_some_men_have_no_women_to_marry

"Hudson and den Boer suggest that societies become inherently unstable when sex ratios reach something like 120 males to 100 females: in other words, when one-sixth of men are surplus goods on the marriage market. The United States as a whole would reach that ratio if, for example, 5 percent of men took two wives, 3 percent took three wives, and 2 percent took four wives — numbers that are quite imaginable, if polygamy were legal for a while. In particular communities — inner cities, for example — polygamy could take a toll much more quickly. Even a handful of "Solomons" (high-status men taking multiple wives) could create brigades of new recruits for street gangs and drug lords, the last thing those communities need."

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:32PM

It hurts women, children, men and society in general. Polygamy isn't beneficial and those who break the law and claim it's "religion" don't deserve the protection of our laws.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:31AM

I've never seen the show (a benefit(?) of not having satellite or cable), but I wonder how close the existence is to 1800's polyg'. In other words, except for the wealth and stature of the husband, could this show been done about BY and his band of merry men and the wives & kids acted/looked about the same?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:42AM

I heard the bit about them being step-siblings some time ago--many seasons ago (since the seasons are so long).

Of course, they are only showing what positive they can. And the women aren't what I'd call happy. I think they seem to be doing better themselves in separate houses now--at least Meri seems to be. It isn't as in your face for her.

Now--the kids, they aren't happy in Vegas. The one kid has completely shut down. I hate to say it but many of the teenage daughters are overweight so you have to wonder how well they really are doing--and you can't blame them for having self-esteem issues if their moms choose polygamy--I mean what do they have to look forward to??? Doesn't matter if the moms are in terms of why the daughters would be as I got very overweight when my husband was cheating on me, but my kids are far from overweight and never have been. (And I'm doing much better now.)

I find it "interesting." I have asked myself the same thing about income. They are making something??? off the show obviously, so they have some income. Actually, I feel really bad for Janelle because she seemed to love her prior job and seems to be struggling the most with the move.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 10:44AM by cl2.

Posted by: medgirl007 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 10:48AM

I dont know, I personally think people have the right to marry whoever, whatever and however many people they want. As long as they are all adults and make their own decision. Mormons still believe in polygamy, maybe not here on Earth...but certainly in the afterlife. At this point, my grandpa is sealed to 3 women...2 who've passed on and his now current wife.

If the Browns wanna live in their happy little life, delusional or not, its their choice. We shouldn't be tearing each other down about each others beliefs (unless we're suicide bombing other people) because I could easily say how I think atheists are horrible people who are going to hell, or how Catholics are stupid because they believe in the Trinity....people have the right to believe and worship how they want. Ick factor or not...at least their brave enough to come out about it and answer the questions...unlike other religions who just sweep everything under the rug.

Date: October 23, 2011 07:12PM

Date: October 23, 2011 07:10PM

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 07:43PM

While I SLC this summer, I saw a pic of Joseph Smith. I realized where Kody got his hairstyle! His hair is just the sme as Joseph Smith's.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 23, 2011 08:41PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.