Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:28AM

Thanks to Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders for proposing a cruise for ex-Mos. The initial thread has been closed. Admin, if possible, please leave this one open as long as you can.

A lot of research has already gone into this, and now we need to discuss what everyone's preferences are. If you are sincerely considering joining us on this trip, please reply to this message and answer the following questions.

1. When would you prefer to travel--June, July, August, September or October 2015? Or are you flexible?
2. Which is your preferred itinerary--Alaska, Caribbean or Mexico?
3. If you choose Caribbean, do you prefer sailing from Florida, New Orleans, Galveston, or does it not matter to you?
4a. If you choose Alaska, do you have a preference for port? The choices are Los Angeles, Seattle, Seward and Vancouver.
4b. If you choose Alaska, would you prefer a trip that starts and ends at the same port, or one that has a different disembarkation city?
5. How many people would you bring? Just yourself, or others too?
6. If you do not have a cabin mate, would you be interested in sharing with someone so that you don't have to pay double the price?

I've checked Carnival, Norwegian and Princess. The Princess prices are way over the other 2, and so they are my 3rd choice. I've sailed both Carnival and Norwegian and like them both, but currently Norwegian is offering a great deal. 3rd and 4th guests in a cabin sail for half-price or free, depending on the cruise chosen. In addition, depending on your cabin type, there are other freebies. If you are in an studio or inside cabin, you will receive $25 on board credit for the cabin.

If you are in an oceanview, balcony or suite, you have your choice of 1 of the following:
Onboard credit ($50 per cabin for oceanview, $75 for balcony, $100 for a mini-suite, $200 for a suite and $300 for The Haven)
OR
Free Dining Package (dine at a specialty restaurant each night) Estimated value is $250.
OR
Free Beverage Package (free glasses of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, juices & soda) Estimated value is $350. (My personal choice)

I will see if I can advertise this on the Facebook groups, Mormon VIP Lounge and Exmo Underground. I will also ask the powers that be at Mormon Stories, Mormon Expression and Infants on Thrones if we can promote this on their web pages. Can you think of any other places we should advertise this?

Lastly, once we have the details all set, we can discuss if you would like to have some special group activities on the ship, such as speakers (a la ExMo conference), games such as a slot pull, a cabin crawl, a gift exchange.

I look forward to meeting many of you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:45AM

Question:

What are the essential draws for ppls interest?

is it traveling TO a destination (e.g. Alaska) to do some sight-seeing at the destination?

-or-

is it the 'sex appeal' (gambling, swimming pools, lots of included food, movies, etc) of a 'cruise'?

I vote ... if Alaska stays a viable option... consider the Alaska Marine Hwy - not as fancy/opulent $$$- as a 'cruise'.

some ppl ... Wait for it...bring a sleeping bag & sleep on deck!

Date: February 08, 2015 11:06AM

GNPE,
The original suggestion was for a cruise. I'd like to keep it that. A cruise has enough varied activities to appeal to many different people, most expenses (including entertainment and food) are included in the initial cost, and there are many different cabin (pricing) options.

From what I know, the Alaska Marine Hwy is basically a ferry used for transportation. As you pointed out, it would be a totally different experience. Personally, I'm not hardy enough to sleep on deck. However it does sound like quite an adventure. Perhaps you can start a different thread and plan something like that?

Posted by: Paul Hutchinson ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 03:15AM

this is fantastic! i am in melbourne, australia and i am wanting to go. i will be watchful.

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 09:40PM

There's a few Melbourne people here. Been out long?

I happily left a wantirna stake ward recently

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 11:15PM

I am in Tasmania. Make it to Melbourne a few times a year.

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 04:08AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 04:13AM by sassenach.

Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 03:26AM

Wow, alot of good questions. Let's see.

August/September, Caribbean,100, 200 or 300 for the suites, and I'm not that big of a drinker so I'd be okay with less alcohol (plus I may get motion sick and that just wouldn't be pretty lol), but might go for the dining package. :)

Oh and I'd LOVE speakers, and just plain games making fun of the church :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 03:27AM by peaceinfreedom.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 10:35AM

Never been on a cruise. Not something I've had on my bucket list. Unfortunately this won't be the year we go on our first one either.

Ron Burr

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 10:46AM

DW and I did a 7 day Cruise out of Miami. I checked this item off my bucket list...

I would prefer a 3 day out of Long Beach to Ensenada.

If this turns into a more localized ex-mo cruise, that is fine w/ me.

It may work out that several cruises are in order to please everyone's schedules and budgets and locations...

Date: February 08, 2015 11:16AM

You have a great point, breedemyung. I am gathering people's responses on an Excel sheet and can keep everyone apprised of the interests expressed. For example GNPE would prefer something some basic, and I have noted that too.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 12:06PM

If you do an Alaska cruise, do it in September. Weather is still nice and all the port merchants have excellent sales at 50% off and more!

I'm keeping my eye on this thread because BF and I might want to do a cruise and it would be fun to "know" some people on board.
I like the Norwegian line because you don't have assigned table mates.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 01:24PM

September. Mexico. Two of us.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:04PM

My wife and I are leaving 21 March on a cruise out of New Orleans headed for Key West and Bahamas and some together time with no cooking. September is my trip to, this year, San Antonio and a meet up with guys from 'Nam. October is SLC for ExMo Conference. That pretty much uses up my travel funds for this year. An exmo cruise does sound fun.

Posted by: hairfannotlogged ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:30PM

I absolutely love Norweigan lines. A cruise with exmos sounds so fun! I would love to go,not sure if Id have the funds though since I havent found a job yet. But I would bring my exmo boyfriend.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:35PM

will there be debauchery ?

If not I'm not going.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 05:01PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> will there be debauchery ?
>
> If not I'm not going.

There ***will*** be debauchery Dave, of the kind that will make you become religious again. (Leastways, that's what the people in the next cabin will think... ;o)) )

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 02:58PM

Thank you, Cruise Director Munchkin,

You may want to plan a short Baja cruise in Sept., and maybe a longer one in 2016. It could turn into an annual get-together. For an ad, even an exploratory ad, I suggest enlisting a graphic designer to volunteer a fun logo or photo-and a facebook page. You will receive double the responses.

I would prefer Alaska-August or September 2016, departing from Seattle or Vancouver. Has anyone here cruised Hawaii? I've been to Hawaii many times, but not on a cruise. I've heard it's the bomb!

The amount of people I can round up depends on the departure port... I would prefer to dine with fascinating, entertaining ex-mos, drinks included.

For those who haven't cruised, it is very relaxing; unpack once and be as active or lazy as you want. Stay up all night, or fine dining, fun conversation and site-seeing... I'm sure we can all think up some crazy ex-mo games!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:07PM

When we were in Maui in 2011, the cruise ship was moored just outside Lahaina harbor. I heard that cruise that stops at the larger Hawaiian Islands is really nice.

Ron Burr

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 04:49PM

and I might share a nice cabin to afford an upgrade.

The Facebook page and photos are abhorrent to me. I don't care of YOU do it, but not for me.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 04:59PM

We did an Alaska cruise in May last year. The weather was perfect.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 05:02PM

Could you check if a cruise line might be able to offer discounts for groups like RFM members?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:36PM

More than eight staterooms being booked could get a group rate on carnival and I'm sure royal Caribbean as well.

Date: February 08, 2015 08:27PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Here's what I've gathered so far from everyone's input.

Do a short Mexican Riviera cruise in September 2015 and then do a longer cruise (7 days) around September 2016. This gives everyone more time to plan their vacation schedules for the big trip, while still getting something in this year. If all goes well, perhaps we can make it an annual thing. I do realize that the ExMo Conference is in October, so we would want to be sure not to conflict with that.

Norwegian only offers 7 day cruises to Mexico. Royal Caribbean doesn't go at all. However, Carnival has 2, 3 and 4 day cruises from Los Angeles to Ensenada and Catalina Island. The best price for each length, including port fees & taxes, is $290, $419 and $396 respectively.

Whether we do the bigger trip this year or next, there are plenty of options. As mentioned before, I've focused on Carnival and Norwegian. These are both good lines and are the most cost-efficient. If the consensus is to go on another line, I'll be happy to research those. However, having already checked Princess, their prices are close to double. To keep it short and sweet, and so everyone will have a baseline idea of the cost, the best prices per person for an inside cabin for 7 days to Alaska are around $500 plus about $200 for port fees and taxes. Norwegian has special offers for all guests that include either onboard credit (OBC) or a drink or beverage package.

Hawaii is another great option, but I haven't priced it out yet and the reason is because it will cost everyone more in airfare. The choices are to cruise from California to Hawaii and fly home, fly to Hawaii and cruise home, or fly to Hawaii and cruise the islands and then fly home. Or, book a 14 day trip and cruise round-trip from LA to Hawaii and back. Hawaii would be a fantastic cruise, and if there is interest, we can consider this for our first big trip or later.

As pointed out by matt and fidget, we should be able to get some extras from the cruise line if our group is large enough. Cruise lines typically will give the host 1 free cruise for each 8 cabins booked. If you want, instead of that going to the organizer (me), I think we could arrange to split it up among the cabins so we could all get some extra OBC.

A note about pricing. The prices I've quoted above are for the absolute lowest available cabin as the prices are listed today on the websites. Bear in mind that we may be able to arrange a better price, especially as our group grows. Also, the prices fluctuate quite a bit. Other expenses would include the travel cost to and from the departure port, parking or transfers, gratuities on the ship, any extra expenses including excursions, gambling, shopping...

I know this has been long and dry with all the details, so now we can focus on the FUN! Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders has dubbed me Cruise Director Munchkin. The cruise director is the one in charge of fun and excitement, so I think that title should be bestowed on her, and I can be the Bookkeeper. Everyone agree? She has proposed getting group t-shirts for everyone and I'll vote for that. Also, I'd like to ask her to handle the publicity. I've received permission from the Facebook groups Mormon VIP Lounge, Exmo Underground, and Mormon Expression Podcast to advertise in their groups. I haven't had a response yet from the Mormon Stories Podcast FB group, but they have bigger fish to fry today. I also think her idea of setting up a FB group is great.

You don't know how excited I am to get to possibly meet you all! And when it's all done, I'll have to change my screen name here so I can go back to being anonymous. :)

Oh, and last but not least, to Dave the Atheist--you may have all the debauchery you want (as long as you don't get us thrown off the ship)!

(((Note to Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders, please contact Susan I/S at ExMoLight@gmail.com. She has my email address to share with you.)))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 08:33PM by munchkin.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 12:35AM

Hi Munchkin, I just saw your post. Unfortunately, I won't be able to board the Ex-mo Love boat until the 2016 trip. (My offer to design T-shirts/tanks still stands for your first cruise!)

You may want to contact the ladies at Ex-Mormon Foundation. They know media savvy people who may be able to publicise the cruise, and they might agree to do an email blast to their group. I'm not an I.T. or Ad person, and avoid facebook.

I suggest setting up a separate email account under ex-Mo Cruise 2015 (or whatever you choose) in order to get a definite count for the cruise line...

The Ex-Mo Foundation may also be able to recommend a FUN leader for games and such. (Perhaps Dana Insana, if she and Bob are available? Or a volunteer from the group you have already. Shummy wanted to be the Captain, but he could be teasing like usual...) Madalice might be going? She seems super fun/out-going also-just a suggestion, madalice. :)

I know you will have a blast, um, Fiesta! In September and I wish I could hot tub and toast margaritas with you all.

Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 11:41PM

Count me and my wife in for any Mexico or Caribbean Cruise, from any port, preferably August - October, or Spring 2016

Date: February 10, 2015 12:25AM

Ex-SSS had a great suggestion.

We now have a Facebook page to discuss and plan this and future activities. It is called ExMoCruisers. Come and join in the discussion and fun!

In addition, we now have an email account for further communication avenues: exmocruisers@hotmail.com

I look forward to seeing you there!

Posted by: huckleberry(notloggedin) ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 03:24PM

July, Alaska, leaving from Seattle, meal package.

I would love to go on this!! :)

Date: February 11, 2015 11:02PM

Thank you to the Admins for letting us get this started here. Susan let me know that they have to pay for the space each post takes up here, so we now have a Facebook group to continue this discussion.

Please connect on the FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/381488692012206/

The group has been up for 2 days and we already have 21 members!!!

If you do not do FB, you can contact us at exmocruisers@hotmail.com

Susan I/S, feel free to close this thread now. And thanks again!!!

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 04:15AM

I'm in... sounds like fun!

Cruising Alaska and the Inside Passage is nothing less than spectacular! You have to plan, though, if you want to see fantastic sights and wildlife...rivers with millions of salmon, grizzly bears, bald eagles, calving glaciers...it's phenomenal! The same tourist shops at every port can be boring, though, unless you plan for each port. Rather than buying a ready made tour it is possible to plan some exciting excursions less expensively on your own.

Ensenada, Mexico is not really that interesting unless you want to just eat, drink, and be merry on the ship. Catalina Island was the best part of the cruise with lots of water sports available.

The Hawaii cruise I took was spectacular! Again, if you want to see the sights you have to plan ahead for each port. Each island is small enough that there is time to do all the best excursions for that island. There are so many choices for day excursions - volcanoes, whale watching, scuba diving, hiking, surfing, zip lining, parasailing, or just being a beach bum...it's so difficult to choose!

I haven't done a Caribbean cruise, that would be cool.

The cuisine on every cruise I've been on has been fantastic! And with so many ship activities available a good time is practically guaranteed. I have stayed in some opulent cabins but the very best cabin for sleep is one below deck with no windows. It was completely dark... best sleep I've ever had. Ahhh.. but if you're claustrophobic you may want to choose something else. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 04:23AM by sassenach.

Date: February 12, 2015 11:36AM

Sassenach,

Are you by chance an Outlander fan??? Me too.

I'm going to ask in advance for forgiveness, since I don't have your email adddress. I love what you wrote and am going to copy it and put it on the FB page. You can come claim authorship if you want.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 12:00PM

I'll throw in my two cents.

How about Memorial Week? May 25-29 Leave out of Port Canaveral, Florida.

Go to Caribbean

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.