Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 02:19PM

Steve Christiansen's widow was a very gracious lady and an excellent speaker. She was still an active but not fully believing mormon who felt that the programs were good for her children. She said that she might leave the church after her youngest completed Young Women's.

Does anyone remember more about what she said. I thought she was very brave to carry on and raise her children as a single parent. And I think her father or father-in-law was the organist for the Tabernacle Choir?

I think this talk was at least three or four years ago. Would it still be available for listening or reading?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 02:31PM

That was the only conference I went to before leaving Utah. I think his son's name was Jared Christensen. He was the dinner speaker and was fabulous. He wasn't long off his mission and it was fascinating to hear how he knew very little about the real circumstances surrounding his father's murder until he was on his mission and saw the book "Salamander" at someone's home and asked to read it.

He finished his mission, but when he came home he wanted a lot of answers, which his mother gave him, and he did a lot of research on his own, went through his dad's journals and really realized how Hinckley was not only complicit in his dad's murders (by continuing to buy from Hoffman), but the deals he had worked with the D.A. to keep justice from being served. He had left the church but his mother was at the conference that day too. She got up after him and said that she was still in the church for family reasons--she had remarried and had young children, but that she was really proud of her son (Jared) for taking the stand he did and wanted him to follow the path that was right for him. I was really impressed. I've wondered since what happened to his son. I thought maybe he'd write a book or the exmo world would hear more from him, but I have never seen anything about him.

Date: April 05, 2011 02:35PM

I don't know why I remember the mother so much more clearly. The murder just seemed so sad and pointless.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 02:19AM

The Maxinosis thread reminded me of this.

I was there too, Cheryl.

As I recall it was 2006, Norma.

Posted by: Exmoconferencelady ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 04:08PM

I was there that day, and if I remember correctly, the grandson of Mr. Mac who spoke, runs a very successful restaurant in Bountiful called Plates and Palates. I've talked to him and he's very nice. I'm not sure of his name however. It's a family business, and doing very well. Great food too. They have limited hours so look it up first.

Date: April 05, 2011 05:10PM

She said she'd like to check out these exmo talks.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 02:37AM

They should write a book with Brent Metcalf. He knew Hoffman.

In his Dehlin interview, Metcalf mentioned going to dinner with Hoffman after the bombing-his hands were bandaged... It was a double date with their wives to Trolley Square. People recognized Hoffman... Hoffman said to Metcalf, "I hope they catch the son of a bitch who did it." How creepy is THAT?!

(Interesting interview, dealing with Tapir Peterson...)

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 03:46AM

I knew both Terri and Steve growing up. They were in my ward and Terri (the wife you're asking about) was my age. We were in YW together and in the same grade and went to the same schools (Jr. High and HS). I remember her as a little stuck up, especially when she was on the HS drill team. Very pretty and she knew it. Steve was 3 years older, and very handsome with his dark hair. He looked a lot like Christopher Reeve. They both came from prominent families in the ward. TBM to the max. Steve's dad is Mac Christiansen, purveyor of men's suits...Mr. Mac himself. He was the director of the Mo Tab, and was in the Stake Presidency. I was so shocked when I heard about Steve, and felt so sorry for Terri. She was pregnant when it happened. I've often wondered how she was doing. I haven't contacted her since we weren't really close friends. Thanks for the update. I would've thought she'd be TBM to the bitter end. I'll have to look for her at our 40 year HS reunion this year. That is, if I go. Hated HS.

Date: February 12, 2015 05:11AM

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 11:02AM

Just curious and I'll try to be a little vague.

Did Terri's family once live in Montana
and her father was in a high leadership position?

Date: February 12, 2015 02:33PM

I don't think so, unless that's before 1969. They were in Bountiful, Utah when I knew them. Her maiden name is Rom-ney. (Heh, had to use a hyphen, that name is banned)

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 08:08PM

Thanks for the follow-up, hidinginzion.

I got to know Terri and her family when I was in Helena, Montana on my mission back in 1976.
Her father was in the Stake Presidency there. I also got to meet Steve once while at her family's home.
Saw Terri at BYU right after my mission, we chatted for a few minutes.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 08:46PM

but I grew up just down the hill from you and in the same stake. Probably knew you at BHS. I knew Steve C very well and looked up to him; he was same age as a family member and I knew his little sister very well. I was very upset when I heard the news the night he was killed. I think you were pretty charitable calling Teri "stuck up", she was probably one of the most conceited girls I have ever known. That being said I have a much better impression of her after the tragedy; adversity does make people grow and change. My experience at a BHS reunion was that a lot of those people you couldn't stand in high school have actually grown up into decent people.

Unfortunately I also knew Mark Hofmann very well when he was a pre-med at USU. Seeing Spencer Kimball so enthralled with Mark was a big red flag for me. Almost everyone who knew Mark knew he was a liar and a cheat. Was proof to me there was no priesthood. Did you ever meet President Kapp?

Date: February 12, 2015 09:22PM

Yes, met Pres. Kapp several times. He interviewed me once for a TR. I still have a connection with him, but I can't say how. His wife, Ardeth, went to our ward RS frequently and was the YW Pres. for the Corporation in the late 70's, as I'm sure you know. My street was on the bottom edge of the boundary line, so it was changed into a couple of wards. I only remember being in the 8th and the 40th.

Yes, I hate to say it but stuck-up is mild to describe her. I attended sleep overs, countless ward activities: Mutual, Camp, etc. with her among the large group of girls our age. I was even her lab partner in a Jr. High science class, and she never spoke more than one or two words to me at a time. Never even said hello or acknowledged me in any way, though I tried to be friendly to her. My family wasn't as affluent as hers, though we weren't poor, money was tight at my house.

Interesting that they ended up in Montana. I didn't keep track or pay attention to them. I remember how strange it was to me that the entire Rom-ney family looked like clones of each other. They all looked alike to me-- even the mom and the dad. Same hair, eyes, and facial features. 8) (Fascinating that you knew Hofmann!)

Wow. Small world. I bet we know each other! Or of each other. Feel free to send me a pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 09:23PM by hidinginzion.

Posted by: Agent Carter ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:14AM

I am also from the 8th Ward. I was a bit younger than Steve and Teri, but I am sure I know you both. It has been so long since I have posted that I couldn't remember my user name so this one is new, but I read the board every day and love all the entertaining comments.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 01:06AM

I was officially in the 40th ward when it got formed from the 8th and 21rst but used to go to a different ward after a while. Did not fit in with the kids from the 8th ward.

I had a pretty bad experience with Heber Kapp when I came home from my mission. Won't share it if you are related. Not my favorite person in the world. Partly started me on my path to complete non belief in mormonism.

I don't have an official log in so will have to figure out how to PM both of you.

Posted by: Agent Carter ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 01:55AM

I am not related to the Kapp family, so share your story if you want. I remember, although I was quite young, when the ward split. Was Cox the bishop then? He is the first bishop I remember.

Date: February 13, 2015 12:27PM

No, not related, business related. Love to hear your story. You could pm me over at the exmormon red-dit (that word is banned for some reason, had to hyphenate) under the same username.

It'd be great to hear from you both. It's lonely here in the middle of the Morg Collective.

Date: February 13, 2015 12:40PM

The name Cox sounds familiar. I'll bet you know my sibs at the very least since I come from a large TBM family. They're all still TBM and would be shocked to know I'm disaffected.

Posted by: bg ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 12:49AM

Date: February 14, 2015 02:45AM

Sorry, the formatting on this forum and the other is awkward and clunky, and I'm not sure how to send a pm here. Wish it was at least a php format. Are you registered at NOM? I'm there too but don't want to be outed to the Morg spies.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 07:45AM

The mnemonic for Mark Hofmann's last name: He was one 'F'orger. Committed two 'N'urders. One f. Two n's.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 12:43PM

Mark Hofmann is still serving a life sentence for murdering two people in Salt Lake City, UT. He has been in the Utah State Prison since 1988.
There have been several showings of a documentary type show on TV about him. I've seen it. One of the interesting things about his forgeries that was mentioned was how good they were and those that bought them aren't likely to tell anyone. They certainly can't sell them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 12:44PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 03:10PM

I just read again last fall, both of the books about the Hofmann murders. As I recall, Terri Christensen was married and divorced 2 times after his death. No judgement intended.

I've also written that my daughter-in-law is a Hofmann. Her dad is Mark's first cousin and they spent lots of time together as kids. (Not to mention they look remarkably alike.)

My DIL says his wife and kids have come to some family parties but it's been a while since they've been there. She was only 6 or 7 years old when this happened and the family never talks about what happened, which I guess is normal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 03:12PM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 03:41PM

I remember her son posted some articles all across the Utah papers a few years ago about how Hinckley was so unsupportive in the investigation and that Mormonism is a pile of crap. But with a family so entrenched financially with the bretheren it would be hard for any of them to make an exit, Their business and livelyhood would go down the crapper, I guess?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 03:41PM by poopstone.

Posted by: NeatandSpecial ( )
Date: February 12, 2015 11:58PM

I raised my kids in the same ward that Hofmann grew up in and where he lived when he did his dirty deeds. We moved there 7 or 8 years after he landed in prison. By all accounts, he was a normal kid with nice TBM parents. My kids played in Hofmann's old home with the kids that now live there. It seemed weird that the new family (relatives of Hofmann) didn't change the house at all, and all the nooks and crannies downstairs where he wrote and hid his work is exactly how it was, and they are total TBM. I would think more people would ask more questions, but, alas, they don't seem to.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:20AM

My dad was less than a block away when the bomb went off in Hoffman's car. My dad showed me a piece of glass that landed in his car.

My dad gave me a great book on the story, A Gathering of Saints by Lindsey (I think). I read it. I wish I could say that it pushed me all the way out. I stayed sorta-Mormon. He stayed very Mormon.

Years later I asked my dad about the glass and the book. I guess the TBM in him stomped that memory. He denied knowing anything about any of it. I thought maybe I imagined it.

Somehow, I ended up with the piece of glass taped to a 3X5 card with my dad's handwriting, saying it was from Hoffman's car.

Posted by: PaulHDunn ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:34AM

Found something interesting. Steve Christensen's gravestone with Terri's name on it. I wonder if eventually she'll be buried with her first husband? http://utahgravestones.org/view.php?id=32493

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 11:20AM

Since her marriage to Steve was a temple marriage, her subsequent marriages would be civil. So, in the eternal scheme, next to Steve is where she'll want to be.

*shrugs*

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 01:19PM

Cox?

Please do tell.

Progeny of Fredrick Walter Cox perchance?

Hi cuz!

Date: February 13, 2015 01:42PM

And now it's generating such interesting discussion. I'm glad to hear from posters who knew these people personally.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 01:07AM

I read The Mormon Murders when it came out. How does A Gathering of Saints compare to TMM? would it be worth my time? Reviews? Suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 01:08AM by moira.

Posted by: anon brit ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 03:37AM

I've read both - 'Gathering of Saints' is a shorter read and is more the story of the people involved. Still a good read.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.