Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 01:41PM

My two cents on essential oils: lavender puts me to sleep and eucalyptus is great for clearing out a stuffy nose. Anything else... I'm not going to go there.

What is more disturbing than the actual medical/scientific benefits of essential oils (which we can debate all day) is the idea that Mormons are vulnerable to scams of every kind because of their intellectual naivete and lack of critical thinking skills, combined with a belief system that emphasizes "magic bullets" like garment-wearing, tithe-paying, scripture-reading, and faith as cure-alls for whatever ails you. Even worse, they are taught to not think deeply about or research anything, but to use their feelings and emotions as a basis for making decisions about matters large and small.

They are used to believing sketchily-supported claims by authority figures, especially when those claims are surrounded by snippets of happy-sounding evidence (which has likely been fabricated or taken out-of-context), pretty graphics, and testimonials from other kool-aid drinkers. Then they go to meetings and rallies where Heartsell techniques are used on them; they feel good and reinforced because they are already familiar with these techniques and primed to respond favorably to them.

It's not about the oils so much as about a group of people who have invested their energy in being naive, easily led by their emotions, and proud of their ability to reinforce each other in group settings. That is truly scary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 01:46PM

So you wanna do Amway?

Couple of grand and we could go direct.

Trust me.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 01:48PM

Been there. Done that. Bought the soap.

Date: February 15, 2015 02:16PM

Multi-level Mormon marketing began with a shovel and a hill of crap back in Palmireya.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 03:06PM

Too bad there weren't more traveling mummy salesmen, so J.S. could do many more expert "translations." We could all be chatting about something else.

Date: February 16, 2015 01:38AM

Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad there weren't more traveling mummy
> salesmen, so J.S. could do many more expert
> "translations." We could all be chatting about
> something else.

deep thoughts

Posted by: Amway ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 01:49PM

Did anyone have another family want to combine FHEs, then it turned out to be an Amway spiel?

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 02:58PM

My MIL is big on that Do-Terra nonsense. She is exmo, though. She just believes in whatever makes her feel good.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 06:22PM

It's not naivete, IMO- it's avarice- the firm belief that they are entitiled due to their God-centered life to be rich on the backs of others.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 15, 2015 10:49PM

You pay me $1,000, and I'll let you join the Mormon church. Then go out and do missionary work. When you bring in two more members at $1,000 each, I'll let you keep $500 for each, and you'll have your money back. So now you're even and I've just made $1,000. Then each of them goes and gets two people at $1,000, etc. See? It works. Thomas Monson, believe it or not, is a Diamond Distributor, and each of he 12 are Emerald Distributors. Sometime they may come to your stake for sales meeting, and you may get to meet them and talk product with them.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 01:33AM

My TBM cousin has $1800 worth of Re-Liv sitting rotting on her shelves and spends tons of $$ on DoTerra.
I have some oils which I got for literally a fraction of what she spent. Just the regular health food store...

I can't tell her anything. Sandy Utah is a veritable cesspool of scam artists.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 16, 2015 11:33AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.