Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Indy Joe ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:07AM

It used to bother me when TBM family members would say that I left the church just because I wanted to sin. In the wake of the Kelly and Dehlin excommunications and Holland’s recent rant, I now realize that my family members were right all along. I left the church because I wanted to think for myself -- and thinking is a sin of the highest order in Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Indy Joe ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:13AM

Oops. My title should have read, "TBMs were right: I did leave to sin."

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:15AM

I always felt the real threat to the church was the person able to think and act for themselves.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:23AM

Before you take on the burden of "wanting to sin", spend a little time defining "sin".

Since i've discovered that the mormon religion was made up by a con man, I realize I have to define for myself what a sin is. Mormon religion does NOT get to decide this for me.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:16PM

Agreed!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 01:09PM

Exactly. Loud laughter and evil speaking of the Lard's anointed are NOT sins. In fact, they're both great medicine.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:30AM

I wuz sinnin' long before I even knew you could leave the church...mostly because I enjoyed the sinnin' and didn't give a shit if the church thought it was wrong or not.

RB

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:10AM

Hard to meet the Mormon sinless standard since normal things like a morning cup of coffee is enough to classify you as unworthy sinner.

Yet other things that "the world" thinks are terrible, like making your family stand outside while you get married, are consider a faithful act approved by gawd.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 11:24AM

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 01:11PM

Yep, Joe, other profits, and even Jesus himself weren't temple worthy.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:11PM

We should all strive to live our lives in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will protest your funeral. Thats my new motto. :)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 18, 2015 12:35PM

Add to that the sins of wanting to take care of your family first before giving money to a cult that doesn't think you deserve any accounting for it, wanting to pick your own underwear, wanting to not basically be told to shut up if you ask a question in SS that doesn't have a lame answer in the teacher's handbook, etc.

And yes, the big one, the sin above all other sins, as you say, wanting to think for yourself. Yes, I WANTED to "sin" so I left.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.