Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 23, 2015 03:32PM

Feb 23, 1838 - Missionary Wilford Woodruff and his companion "repaired to the sea shore and clensed our feet with pure water & bore testimony against eight housholds before God who had rejected us or turned us from their Doors the evening before."

Feb 23, 1844 - Presidency and Twelve meet "in relation to the Rocky Mountain Expedition, eight more volunteers gave their names." Joseph Smith "gave instructions in relation to the fit out needed. It was agreed that the company should number twenty-five." Joseph said, "Let that man go that can raise $500, a horse or mule, a double barrel gun, one rifle, one shot, saddle, bridle, [a] p[ai]r of 8 bore Pistols, Bowie knife, &c." The object of the expedition was to scout out places in Oregon for the Saints to relocate.

Feb 23, 1847 - Brigham Young relates a dream to the "brethren of the Twelve" of meeting Joseph Smith (dead over a year and a half). "He looked perfectly natural, sitting with his feet on the lower round of his chair. I took hold of his right hand and kissed him many times, and said to him: 'Why is it that we cannot be together as we used to be. You have been from us a long time, and we want your society and I do not like to be separated from you.' Joseph rising from his chair and looking at me with his usual, earnest expressive and pleasing countenance replied, 'It is all right.' I said, 'I do not like to be away from you.' Joseph Said, 'it is all right; we cannot be together yet; we shall be by and by; but you will have to do without me a while, and then we shall be together again.'"

Feb 23, 1856 - Brigham Young exhibits brown seer stone obtained from Oliver Cowdery's widow. He explains that Joseph Smith used this stone to find gold plates of BOOK OF MORMON.

Feb 23, 1859 - First counselor Heber C. Kimball tells apostles "there are thousands of prophets among the Gentiles and spiritualists that have not repented or obeyed the gospel."

Feb 23, 1859 - Joseph Fisher Sr. (father of Jane Fisher) writes to twenty-year-old Joseph F. Smith, ". . . you have been keeping company with my Daughter ever since your return from your Mishion & from the testimony before me you solicited her to be your wife before you returnd whitch indirectly was granted. I will here state that before the Move south you could have had my consent & from that time untill two Months ago you Could have had it grudgeingley & since that time you could not have it at all. I told her at least two months ago to not have anything more to Doo with you for it was my opinion that she would lead a Miserable life. . . ." Joseph had proposed to Jane Fisher while he on a mission to Hawaii. Upon his return he kept time with Jane, but they broke up and he began courting sixteen-year-old Levira Clark Smith, his first cousin. Joseph and Levira were married by Brigham Young in his office on April 4, 1859.
At a prayer meeting of the Twelve Apostles Brigham Young's Second Counselor Daniel H. Wells says, "I never did have those great manifestations that some have. I have thought that I would like to have some of those manifestations if it was the will of God but not if it is agoing to do me any harm. I would not wish to see an Angel or hear the voice of God if it would make me apostatize or do me an injury."

Feb 23, 1862 - Brigham Young preaches "The idea that the Lord our God is not a personage of tabernacle is entirely a mistaken notion. He was once a man. Brother Kimball quoted a saying of Joseph the Prophet, that he would not worship a God who had not a Father; and I do not know that he would if he had not a mother; the one would be as absurd as the other. If he had a Father, he was made in his likeness. And if he is our Father we are made after his image and likeness. He once possessed a body, as we now do; and our bodies are as much to us, as his body to him."

Feb 23, 1868 - At a prayer meeting of the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles "We laid hands upon John Taylor, & Preside[n]t Young set him apart as Probate Judge for Utah County."

Feb 23, 1875 - In England missionary (and future apostle) John Henry Smith receives a letter from his wife. The letter contains a telegram from his father George A. Smith: "Prest. Young says the Turkish bath will cure John Henry of his cough."

Feb 23, 1877 - Wilford Woodruff, while in "meeting at the altar" in the St. George temple receives a revelation: "Let my servant Wilford Call upon the virgins Maidens, Daughters, & Mothers in Zion and let them Enter into my /Holy/ Temple on the 1 day of March the day that my servant Wilford has seen the time alloted to man, Three score years and Ten, and there let them received their washing and Anointing and Endowments for and behalf of the wives who are dead and have been sealed to my servant Wilford, or those who are to be Sealed to him, and this shall be acceptable unto me Saith the Lord, and the dead of my servant shall be redeemed in the spirit world and be prepared to meet my servant at the time of his Coming which shall be at the time appointed unto him, though not revealed to man in the flesh. Now go to and perform this work and all shall be accomplished according to the desire of your heart."

Feb 23, 1896 - Apostle Heber J. Grant ordains his dying seven-year-old son to office of elder, "and I blessed him with all the earnestness of my soul, and dedicated him to the Lord to live or die which ever was His will, and covenanted with the Lord if he would spare my only son, and give him life and strength that I would dedicate his time to the service of the Lord and do all in my power to teach him the ways of truth and righteousness." Heber Jr. dies four days later.

Feb 23, 1899 - The First Presidency and Twelve Apostles meet in the Salt Lake Temple for their regular Thursday meeting. "We . . . thought it would be best if Geo. Q. Cannon could go [to the Senate]. We are to work to this end." Cannon is chosen by the state legislature to be Utah's senator but the U.S. Senate refuses to seat a Mormon polygamist.

Feb 23, 1900 - Apostle John Henry Smith writes, "I went through the Temple for my 7th great uncle William Smith and, and my sister, Elizabeth Smith Cartwright for his wife and we had them sealed. Prest. Joseph F. Smith and his family acted for some of his children, and all were adopted to the Prophet Joseph Smith."

Feb 23, 1921 - Lola Smith of Centerville, is sealed to Vernon Cecil, her fiancee two weeks after his death due to a kidney infection acquired while on a mission to California. Her father stands as Vernon's proxy. Lola is a few months short of her twenty-fifth birthday. She keeps her cedar chest with cut embroidery and crocheted work intact until she dies almost sixty years later.

Feb 23, 1981 - Provo's Jiffy Lube auto service center offers a complete lube, a chance to meet Elder Paul H. Dunn, a member of the Presidency of the General Quorum of Seventy, and a free autographed book to the first 50 customers-all for just $14.95.

Feb 23, 1982 - Church archivist, Don Schmidt, announces to the Archives Search Room staff that nobody will see any papers of former apostles until further notice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 23, 2015 03:48PM

"Feb 23, 1981 - Provo's Jiffy Lube auto service center offers a complete lube, a chance to meet Elder Paul H. Dunn, a member of the Presidency of the General Quorum of Seventy, and a free autographed book to the first 50 customers-all for just $14.95."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 23, 2015 04:33PM

Now that's a complete lube . . . . from a complete rube.

Posted by: Sethro ( )
Date: February 23, 2015 10:41PM

Topping for the evening crowd.

The board moves so fast.

Thanks baura.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.