Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:57AM

Does anyone know the total amount -- including "voluntary" donations from the membership?

I suppose Elohim didn't allow his "Prophet, Seer, and Revelator" to prophesy, see or reveal that in the end, it would all be for nothing...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 10:46AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:03AM

Not.One.Red.Cent.

the church gets the sheeple to pay its bidding.

Posted by: Optional2(notloggedin) ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:15AM

Article at huffington post blog by Fred Karger has some info on said subject titled:
"Chapman University Welcomes A Mormon Apostle From Utah"

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:30AM

Some time ago, I learned about an anti-gay proposition on the ballot in Alaska. The non-profit who supported the measure went from reporting around $100,000 in donations to $600,000 literally "over night". The pro-gay forces investigated further and confirmed that the $500,000 had come from "Mormon sources".

While not gay myself, I was so enraged that I wrote my resignation letter to TSCC that very day even though I have been inactive since 1970. I didn't wish to have any further connection whatever with the Mormonism CULT after being made aware of the full extent of their bigotry.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:59AM

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/e98/e096.htm

"The Mormon Church alone has spent $1.1 million in support of the two campaigns"

They got in trouble for directly writing checks, so they began to act as fundraisers, directing members to write checks for them. They did this is states like Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and then the climax in California.

When that blew up in their faces in 2008 in the fall out from Prop 8, they directed their money and energy to propping up NOM. NOM has had two major financiers, the LDS and Catholic Churches. It's little coincidence that NOM has lost funding as the LDS Church has begun cost-cutting.

Of course, today Utah, California, Arizona, Hawaii, Alaska, etc. all have gay marriage. The rest of the US will likely have it after the Supreme Court decision this June.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 12:03PM by axeldc.

Date: February 26, 2015 12:20PM

+ 100

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:43AM

The "spent" a whole lot by organizing the campaign and sending out suits to drum up support. But I'm sure members donated the bulk of the money.

The REAL cost they incurred was/is the bad press and loss of members - and tithing - as a result.

PS. "Relevator" -

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:14PM

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:53AM

I wonder if anyone got reimbursed for their "personal" donations?

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:56AM

Exdrymo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if anyone got reimbursed for their "personal" donations?

Nope.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:05AM

The church itself claims to have spent a little over $200,000 on direct cash and "in-kind" donations to the campaign. That admission, however, came after the election was over (previous to that, the official church spokesman said on a radio show that the church had spent "zero money" on it, a flat-out lie). For filing their actual contributions past the deadline (which most election observers feel was done intentionally to hide the church's involvement before the election), the church was fined by the state of CA, the first religious organization fined for election fraud in the state's history.

That doesn't include the individual donations of members, of both money and time, effectively "commanded" by the church -- which sent letters to all wards telling members they should give all they could of time and money to the campaign. CA election watchers have estimated that mormon members in CA donated over $20M in cash, and somewhere around 12,000 person-hours in door-to-door campaigning, get out the vote efforts, etc.

No members were reimbursed for anything.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:29AM

and, as I recall, cash donations could not be "offset" against tithing requirements, but were treated like fast offerings and building assessments.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:55AM

Templar Wrote:
> and, as I recall, cash donations could not be
> "offset" against tithing requirements, but were
> treated like fast offerings and building
> assessments.

I wonder how that played out at tax time...
The "Yes on 8" campaign was already a tax-exempt organization, and donations to it could (within established limits) be written off at tax time. If members could also claim a religious donation for the same money, could they have "double-dipped" on tax deductions?
Hmm...

Date: February 26, 2015 12:04PM

As a former tax auditor, I would have allowed the cash donation based on the check to whom written or the issuer of the cash receipt provided it was an allowable organization.

Upon audit, you must furnish acceptable proof for all claimed donations. A person could "double claim", but would not pass audit since the donation would have had to have been donated to EITHER the church OR an approved non-profit organization. NEVER BOTH.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:35AM

Thanks for this info. What an enormous waste of time and money. Soon enough they will be forced to comply with human rights and will have yet another gaping error in judgment in their recent history.

What is creepy to me is that the people with the persecution complex thought nothing of actively persecuting another minority. Blind obedience turned into a donation competition to out-donate each other, for a pat on the head from the brethren...

What is more egregious is that all of these people have LGBT family members or work with people they actively persecuted. There is no connect the dots to Christ-like love that they yak about on Sundays. There is a drastic disconnection that comes down to obedience to SLC over humanity and common sense.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:51AM

One idiot mormon couple was reported to have donated all of their children's college fund totaling $50,000! I guess they thought they were fighting "sin and perversion" which, as we all know, is more important than their children's future education.

The fact that TSCC accepted their donation without question says a lot about Mormonism. I well remember the church requiring full tithing to receive the "full blessings" even when it literally took clothes off their children's back and food off the family table. What a goddamn farce.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:33AM

Rent the movie "8: The Mormon Proposition"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:13PM

When I saw the movie it was the feature film at our local Outflix Film Festival (a week of independent films with some kind of LGBT connection or theme). The theater was completely sold out. Somewhere in the middle of it when they were showing Monson and some GAs lying about the church's involvement, someone yelled out real loud, "Fuckers!" and everyone clapped.

Yeah, I certainly kept my past identity under wraps that night.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:28PM

Well at the end of the day, whether or not the momo church was involved, people voted against gay rights. I don't know that people paid much attention to the "momo/catholic heart sell." Liberal judges came along and overturned the will of the 'majority'. Sad but true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 04:29PM by poopstone.

Date: February 27, 2015 01:25PM

poopstone Wrote:
> Well at the end of the day, whether or not the
> momo church was involved, people voted against gay
> rights. I don't know that people paid much
> attention to the "momo/catholic heart sell."
> Liberal judges came along and overturned the will
> of the 'majority'. Sad but true.

In case you hadn't noticed, unconstitutional laws, even if passed by a "majority," are still unconstitutional. In fact, our constitution was specifically written to prevent a "tyranny of the majority" (quoted from John Adams).

We don't live in a country where "the majority rules." We live in a constitutional republic. Perhaps you should actually go learn something about your government before blaming "liberal judges" for doing their constitutional duty.

Date: February 26, 2015 05:58PM

who were trying to legalize an act contrary to the Constitution of the United States. The "will of the majority" doesn't matter when the act itself is illegal and the courts have so ruled on this basis.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:36PM

More than the national debt.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:37PM

T O O--- D A M N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 01:37PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.