Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:24PM

I would enjoy a thread on suggestions for this list and how they impact our lives. Especially on a large level, not the individual issues we address here daily, but the issues that cross times and continents.

I would go for

End of Times thinking (decisions related to the Middle East, war, rumors of war, environmental extraction of resources as if there is no tomorrow)

Creationism (we have a Spirit inside of us that is eternal--can't die?, racism, sin, human inadequacy, mysticism)

Heaven and Hell (terror, military expense, war, I could add some more, but I think I would like to see other's first)

Man's dominion over the Earth and creatures (consumption to waste of animals, animals as property--zoos, tigers in Texas, Sea World)

I hope this isn't too provocative, although I see it could go that way with disagreements. I wanted to create a list in order to see if I am missing or ignoring a way that religion impacts my daily life.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 02:37PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gingergma ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 01:47PM

*bump*

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:02PM

How heavy or detailed a discussion are you looking for?

Date: February 28, 2015 07:09PM

I would like heavy and detailed, but it didn't seem to catch hold on first pass. I have been reflecting on the impact of End of Timers on the quality of life the global community experiences. I think it is significant that people in high levels of power believe that Jesus is coming "soon" and that the earth is to be in global war before that happens.

Would love to hear what you have to offer.

I would add to my list the Fallen State of Man/Atonement as being a strong candidate for having a negative impact on our general wuality of life.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 07:20PM

Certainly people are exploiting this. It is obvious involving LDS Inc.

Not quite as direct as ISIS be headings, crucifixion, or birnings.

Date: February 28, 2015 07:53PM

I think i do not hear it brought up though. Wouldn't an important question to ask a gloabal leader is "Do you believe the world will end soon?" "Do you believe that the Middle East/Israel must be destroyed before Christ will return?" "Does mankind have no need to worry about destroying the ecosystem because God will not allow this to happen until He is ready?" These are quick responses, but apart from pandering for easy votes, what is the impact of a True Believer on big decisions. Can you think of examples where the media engages them critically on such concerns? So much of the process seems to be about short-term thinking. Very little long-term planning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 07:57PM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.