Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnameemma ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 03:54PM

Am I the only one extremely pissed off about people still adding your name to prayer rolls? My in-laws keep adding my name and my family's names. It creeps me out that people are standing around a list of names, including ours, in a circle, right now, being creeps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:16PM

I thought the prayer rolls were for people who were sick and needed extra super temple power blessings to heal. It's been awhile since I've been to the temple, but I thought that was the purpose.

But I guess there's nothing stopping people to add names for other reasons. Do they think the extra super temple power blessing will bring you back to church?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 07:19PM

the physically sick. I know my name is probably in there all the time. I don't think about it until I see a thread like this.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:22PM

Those prayer lists should not include anyone who objects. That includes ME.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:24PM

I have no idea. My in-laws are crazy though, and that isn't just because they're TBMs! Maybe they think we need those super extra temple power blessings to "protect" us from the "adversary." Ironically, that would include themselves, lol.

I wish there was a way to stop people from adding names. I really don't want to be on the prayer rolls all the time. I read they keep names on the list for 2 weeks, and they definitely go more often than that, so our names are just permanently on there. Oy.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:25PM

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:25PM

Not too worried about it. It's all make believe. I live my life so they can be sure their temple roll doesn't work.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:28PM

I wish I could just let it be and adopt that view on it. Yes, it is all make believe. However, it really bothers me at the same time! I have issues with the in-laws as it is, so this just makes it worse. I wish it didn't piss me off.

Date: March 02, 2015 06:20PM

I don't appreciate having cultists sacrifice my name and reputation for their own purposes.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:28PM

I am sure my Mom does it. Probably the in-laws too.

In their heart of hearts they must just KNOW that god will change my wicked and evil heart and turn me back to the gospel.

Posted by: tiredofhiding ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:31PM

You would think that our persons being unworthy to enter the temple would make our very names unworthy to be on the alter. At least for some of us heathens.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:43PM

Right?? Why bring our heathen names into "The House of the Lord?"

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:40PM

There needs to be a study done to see if being added to the prayer roll increases your chances of being healed of whatever ails you.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:42PM

Why? I already have the study's results in that case lol.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:45PM

When I announced my non-belief my (now ex) in-laws had a special fast and put my name on the prayer rolls in the temple.

I'm guessing that at least one of the people involved was a masturbator and that's why it didn't work.

Date: March 02, 2015 04:54PM

Hahahaha. Sorry about that. I just couldn't stop that day. Didn't mean to spoil it for you.

Oh, it's not me you're referring to?

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 04:53PM

Does anyone have inside information as to if the pouch with the names to be prayed for actually contains names of people? If I remember correctly, it looked like a scripture case? Do they print off a new list of people to pray for that day (or just every two weeks) and it is placed inside each of those pouches that morning? It would seem you are prayed over a multitude of times in one day...let alone if they keep the same names in there for up to two weeks.

BTW: It sounds like we have the same in-laws and I'm sure our names are continually submitted to the temple to be prayed for...just wonder if they will ever realize that the prayers are not being answered how they would like...darn free agency ;)

Date: March 02, 2015 04:55PM

My understanding is that there is something in there, but it's not changed around that often. There just aren't that many names in most temples.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 05:23PM

There are two ways to get a name submitted and put in the prayer packet case.
1. Somewhere near the rental of temple cloths is (usually) a small table, with a box with a slit in the top, and you put the name you want on the prayer list inside this box. Paper and pencils are provided for this.

2. In some dark corner of the temple (usually in the basement), a volunteer sits by a phone and collects the names left on an answering machine by writing them down on paper, which is then collected to be put into the prayer packet which a temple worker puts his hands on as he prays for Hevenly Father to help those whose names have been submitted.

Some persons who call in, although instructed on the phone message machine to leave only a few names, will leave dozens of names, or asks for whole congregations, or large groups of people, to be put on the prayer list. Often people outside the church use this phone service, as they have heard from someone that this prayer circle exists.

Date: March 02, 2015 05:39PM

I'm familiar with both of these methods. I think the OP was wanting to know about insider information as to if things are really as they claim to be, and how often they really do change out the list of names.

I hate the fact that my name is always there, and my family (including my grandparents, my brother, etc.). My in-laws have no right adding my grandparents to these lists, who are nevermos. I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant with their first grandchild. Lord help me.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 05:55PM

I've been on and off it for most of my adult life. My parents put at least 40 hours per week into "temple work."

I would love to stop it but I have no idea how.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:00PM

I never really understood why writing names on a list and saying the generic prayer did anything differently than if they just said the generic prayer and did away with the list entirely.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:00PM

Wouldn't freak me out, although I haven't heard that anyone has done it for (or to) me. If it makes them feel better, more power to them. It doesn't do anything one way or the other for the person whose name is in the envelope or whatever, it is only for the person who puts the name in.

And if they're putting your name in to pray that you'll give up your evil apostate ways, it might help them see that it's a bunch of malarky when it doesn't work.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:12PM

If it bothers you, you can get even with the TBM relatives who are putting your name on the list by telling them that you keep a candle burning for them in your local Catholic church.

Or just tell them that you burn a voodoo candle for them at your home occasionally. And ask them if they can tell when you are burning it: "Do you feel its influence???"

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:25PM

Haha...you just gave me an idea...I think I will purchase voodoo dolls the next time I'm in New Orleans and use them for "proxies" of my in-laws <evil grin>

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 06:55PM

This thread so reminds me of being a young married adult in my cult of choice, the World Wide Church of Fraud. Standing with my two infant kids chatting with an out of town guest our honored church busy body horns into the conversation with, "oh yes, I've known Hmmm.. since a teenager. I used to pray and pray that Hmmm.. here would get past those two drunken parties and several other incidents I'll tell you about now so that you know that my prayers helped Hmmm.. become the fine adult you see before you now."

Needless to say, I was livid. Two parties where alcohol was served when I knew for a fact that at least 10% of the adult men in the building fit the clinical definition of alcoholism in need of treatment? This cruel old hag could write the book on how to make common gossip sound like genuine Christian concern.

But I was finally getting older, and this time I had had enough. Apparently, it was finally my turn to thank her for all her years of sacrificial prayers on my behalf. So with a smile I turned to our guest and said, "yeah, I guess I am a better person as a result of Widow X here, and I can't thank her enough. I tried to repay her by asking God to heal her of her weakness for being a vicious gossip...but, well, you know how it goes. At least one of us got our prayers answered."

I then walked away. However I did turn around in time to sneak a peek only to discover she was holding her wrinkled old lips together so tight they were turning the same shade of blue as her hair. Now that was amusing!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 07:34PM

I have no idea if any of my TBM family members have ever put my name on a temple prayer roll. And I don't care either. I have virtually nothing to do with any of them. If they think praying to save my reprobate, apostate, beer swilling ass is worth it....they are welcome to their delusion.

Ron Burr

Posted by: tiredofhiding ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:06PM

This conversation reminds me a little about how when our first son was born, we knew that our time with him was going to be very short, due to his very premature birth and significant birth defect and other complications. He was born in a Catholic hospital. The staff was trying to respect our faith but also they had their faith and they really wanted him to be baptized. My MIL, who I want to run over with a bus but won't, was greatly offended that they would even suggest such a thing. We agreed to allow it to happen, in our room that they had put us in so we could spend what little time we had with him together, because honestly, what was it hurting. We didn't put any power in it because it wasn't our belief that it needed to be done. But it was meaningful to them. And these were people that we could tell truly cared for our family and were hurting for our situation. So for 15 minutes they came into our room and showed their love for our child in the only way they knew how.

I despise everything and anything that happens in that filthy building they call a house of the Lord. But if gathering around an alter with a crochet covered pencil bag filled with names of their heathen lost children and sick little old ladies down the road is how they have been conditioned to show their love, then honestly, what is it hurting me? So long as I don't get a postcard in the mail telling me that I was prayed for in the 10am session in the St George temple on the 12th of August and to have a blessed day, I honestly don't care. I just find it funny that I am too unclean to enter the building but my name isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 09:07PM by tiredofhiding.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 09:47PM

I read your post with a heavy heart. I wish I had words that could wash all the pain from such unhappy memories, but I do not. Even though his life was so very, very short, uour son's existence obviously had a meaningful impact on those around him. He was clearly loved and, sadly, that one truth made him fortunate in ways that many of this world's children will never understand. I am truly sad for your loss.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 02, 2015 10:25PM

The prayer roll has never bothered me...I've always considered it something like lighting a candle for me. What annoys me is when someone TELLS me in their dripping sweet voice that they've submitted my name. So patronizing.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:31AM

Family members have told my Dad they made a prayer request for him since he resigned about 10 years ago.

I'm sure someone has requested my name be on that list also. But I haven't been told.

If someone tells me they put my name in the "Temple Prayer Roll", I'll let them know I'll return the request and have their name added to the Wicken Prayer Circle List (although I no affiliation with them).

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:33AM

If somebody told me they added me to a prayer list, my response would be:

"Well, if you were truly faithful that your prayers would change my life, you wouldn't be trying to motivate me to change it myself by telling me you're praying for me, would you?"

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 03, 2015 12:45AM

My name has been there dozens of times. I just saw the temple prayer circle secretly filmed online today and it gave me the creeps.

You have to put your left elbow on someone's shoulder or it won't work? God must not be very powerful... You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... hokey pokey...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.