Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeerAtMoessers ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 01:40PM

So my youngest turns 7 in July and my ex is having him be baptized. It's all well and good with me. I really think she just stays active in the church for her family and to be social. Plus, both my kids don't really give a flying flip about the church anyway, they know they are just making their mom happy.

But... the stake's official day for baptisms for the month of July: Saturday July 4th.

Yes! Let's take the summer's biggest holiday weekend and eff it for everybody by making everyone stay home and baptize their 8 year olds. Even my ex thinks it's completely ridiculous.

How stupid are these people???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 02:41PM

So don't do it. BBQ instead.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 02:55PM

Well, there's always August.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 03:08PM

BeerAtMoessers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So my youngest turns 7 in July and my ex is having
> him be baptized.

Don't you mean eight? Or do they dunk them younger these days?

Posted by: BeerAtMoessers ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 03:40PM

Yes... 8. He's seven now is what I meant.

I told my ex to do it in August, but she doesn't want to wait. So even though she's complaining about it, she's following through with July 4.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 03:46PM

Are you going to attend? If not, do the BBQ and have everyone over afterwards to "celebrate."

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 05:39PM

Maybe you know something. Is the big announcement for conference going to be reducing the age to 7? After all, children mature earlier than they used to.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 04:07PM

General conference is at Easter. Sounds like your local leaders are following the Lord's pattern that has long been established to inject more Churchiness into every chance to relax.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 07:11PM

I think Argonaut is right. The "church" is trying to monopolize any opportunity a family may get to share some quality hours having fun and catching up. We wouldn't want grown adults getting together without a home visiting teacher there to supervise and direct them, would we?

Why, they may...talk. And that might lead to...IDEAS. And we all know LD$, Inc. does not like their capital assets und,sing their brains for anything other than moving the decimal over and writing a check for ten percent of the gross amount shown on their paycheck.

Easter is bad enough, what with all the Gentile children having a blast with all the fun activities the parents provide the kiddies, but the 4th of July is probably the Corporation's greatest fear. What with all the families getting together...and, and, and PICNICING....and stuff! Stuff like drinking a cool BEER on a warm summer evening.

The faithful Mormon may witness the Gentiles gazing up into the beautiful sight of the night sky being set alive with cascading color with a loving arm over the shoulder of a wife, child, or even (shudder the thought) a good friend. God forbid (not really, it's church authority that usually does all the forbidding - and blames it on God) that our faithful Mormon stop for a moment and think, "Huh. Cousin Greg over there is a pretty good family man, and he's enjoying a beer without going crazy or making a scene, perhaps there is life worth living outside the sterile walls of the local ward house. And maybe it's okay to think a thought without first seeking approval of its warden."

That's why LD$ hogs the holidays. Contrary to their public blather about 'families first' the LAST thing LD$, Inc. wants is for families to ACTUALLY be together and their track record of monopolizing opportunities where it could actually happen proves it.

The truth is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is afraid of your family, and it shows.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 04:07PM

That's a lot of insane people. And I bet the people who COULD have done something to remedy the insanity of a 4th of July baptism will all be out of town, living it up, in honor of The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

And the missionaries... how are they explaining this to the converts they've lined up for baptism?

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 05:19PM

I never heard of an official baptism day. I thought your dad baptized you on the Saturday after your 8th birthday

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 05:55PM

At first when I read this, I thought it was a terrible idea. After thinking about it, it may not be so bad if you have a lot of family who live out of town. It's good motivation to get together for a family reunion-- baptism then 4th of July stuff afterward.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 06:21PM

Baptism and Beers. Catchy, don't you think? If someone in the family has a pool, you could incorporate it all together

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 12:35AM

Dunks for Drunks. . . I can dig it

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: March 07, 2015 07:06PM

...well, you could celebrate the blessed event by bring some serious fireworks for use in the parking lot before, during and after. You know, and then explain that the Spirit "moved you to do so".

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 12:54AM

Just tell them that you will be out of town that weekend and the baptism will have to be rescheduled.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 01:01AM

One thing I've learned, people will treat you the way you let them. If you LET these morons make a national family holiday into a church event, then they will. Just say no.

They aren't your boss and can't fire you, so how do they have so much control?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 03:12AM

There is a solution.

Follow Jesus' example. Is not that what MORmONS say to do?
- to follow Jesus' example.

Go baptize her yourself, in a swimming pool or a river or where ever. Jesus did NOT go to the temple and pay some hefty tribute fee to some establishment priest to get an officially authorized establishment baptism. When Jesus wanted to get his formalized ritual bath he did it in a way that mocked formalized establishment ritual. Jesus went down to the river, and had his reprobate outlaw cousin baptize him.

Sure, Stupid @$$ brain dead MORmONS say that Jesus' baptism was an act of compliance, but that just shows how stupid they are and/ or how much they lie as they repeat the MORmON version of things. What Jesus did when He was baptized was akin to a modern MORmON member having a Hell's Angel baptize them in the fountain pool on temple square, and then saying that is good enough for me, and if its good enough for me then it is good enough for you MORmON church leaders.

My daughter turned 8 in June. The bishoPRICK interviewed her and approved her for baptism. Then we were assigned to the designate stake MASS BATCH baptism day for us run of the mill garbage regular rank and file MORmON members in the month of July. (Sound Familiar ?) I explained that her grandparents would be out of town on that particular weekend, so that it was not a suitable date since we wanted her grandparents to be at the baptism. I was told that there was no other dates for baptisms in the month of July, so that was the ONLY available date in July. I said that I had never heard of such rigidness in scheduling a baptismal date. I was told that is the way it is in Utah. In the interest of trying to work things out to have the grandparents in attendance, and given the rigidness of the schedule for us (POS) rank and file regular members, I suggested that we postpone the baptism until Aug. This suggestion was met with hostility and utter contempt. I was told that postponing such a critical and important event would undermine it's significance, and it was heavily implied that I must not be very spiritual If I did not already understand that. I said something about how family involvement was supposed to be important. That retort of mine was not appreciated by the bishoPRICK. I regret that I did not go even further in my commentary, and start making the totally deserved snide comments about how MORmONISM was supposed to have some emphasis on family interaction/ togetherness.
I was told that we were being assigned to the Stake's July Mass Baptism date, whether I liked it or not. I told them that I would let them know when I was going to baptize my daughter.

That deal pissed me off. Pay thousands and thousands of dollars to LD$ Inc in tithing. flush two years down the toilet for a full time mission and in return the MORmON church can not make the tiniest personal concessions for faithful members. I had a friend in another state that was a bishop and I felt like taking my daughter to his ward and having her baptized there. I felt like taking my daughter to Lake Powell and baptizing there by myself. I wondered how that would grab them. Most of all, I am extremely disappointed with myself because I knuckled under to the extent that I did. We did postpone the baptism for a month, and it peed off the bishoPRICK. I wish like crazy that I would have told them not to worry about it, that I had handled this baptism on my own, by myself in my own venue that was happy to accommodate me, instead of making me feel like garbage over such a simple request. After all, I was a priesthood holder, and would be baptizing her anyway regardless of the location, and she had been approved for it. But its certain that the abusive control freak @$$ holes would have had a fit over it, which would suit me just fine, maybe it would have forced me to quit the filthy disgusting MORmON church a few months sooner. Just thinking about this reminds me of how much that I really HATE the MORmON church. GOOD RIDDANCE !!!

Date: March 08, 2015 03:13AM

There is a solution.

Go baptize her yourself, in a swimming pool or a river or where ever. Jesus did NOT go to the temple and pay some hefty tribute fee to some establishment priest to get an officially authorized establishment baptism. When Jesus wanted to get his formalized ritual bath he did it in a way that mocked formalized establishment ritual. Jesus went down to the river, and had his reprobate outlaw cousin baptize him.

Sure, Stupid @$$ brain dead MORmONS say that Jesus' baptism was an act of compliance, but that just shows how stupid they are and/ or how much they lie as they repeat the MORmON version of things. What Jesus did when He was baptized was akin to a modern MORmON member having a Hell's Angel baptize them in the fountain pool on temple square, and then saying that is good enough for me, and if its good enough for me then it is good enough for you MORmON church leaders.

My daughter turned 8 in June. The bishoPRICK interviewed her and approved her for baptism. Then we were assigned to the designate stake MASS BATCH baptism day for us run of the mill garbage regular rank and file MORmON members in the month of July. (Sound Familiar ?) I explained that her grandparents would be out of town on that particular weekend, so that it was not a suitable date since we wanted her grandparents to be at the baptism. I was told that there was no other dates for baptisms in the month of July, so that was the ONLY available date in July. I said that I had never heard of such rigidness in scheduling a baptismal date. I was told that is the way it is in Utah. In the interest of trying to work things out to have the grandparents in attendance, and given the rigidness of the schedule for us (POS) rank and file regular members, I suggested that we postpone the baptism until Aug. This suggestion was met with hostility and utter contempt. I was told that postponing such a critical and important event would undermine it's significance, and it was heavily implied that I must not be very spiritual If I did not already understand that. I said something about how family involvement was supposed to be important. That retort of mine was not appreciated by the bishoPRICK. I regret that I did not go even further in my commentary, and start making the totally deserved snide comments about how MORmONISM was supposed to have some emphasis on family interaction/ togetherness.
I was told that we were being assigned to the Stake's July Mass Baptism date, whether I liked it or not. I told them that I would let them know when I was going to baptize my daughter.

That deal pissed me off. Pay thousands and thousands of dollars to LD$ Inc in tithing. flush two years down the toilet for a full time mission and in return the MORmON church can not make the tiniest personal concessions for faithful members. I had a friend in another state that was a bishop and I felt like taking my daughter to his ward and having her baptized there. I felt like taking my daughter to Lake Powell and baptizing there by myself. I wondered how that would grab them. Most of all, I am extremely disappointed with myself because I knuckled under to the extent that I did. We did postpone the baptism for a month, and it peed off the bishoPRICK. I wish like crazy that I would have told them not to worry about it, that I had handled this baptism on my own, by myself in my own venue that was happy to accommodate me, instead of making me feel like garbage over such a simple request. After all, I was a priesthood holder, and would be baptizing her anyway regardless of the location, and she had been approved for it. But its certain that the abusive control freak @$$ holes would have had a fit over it, which would suit me just fine, maybe it would have forced me to quit the filthy disgusting MORmON church a few months sooner. Just thinking about this reminds me of how much that I really HATE the MORmON church. GOOD RIDDANCE !!!

Date: March 08, 2015 03:13AM

There is a solution.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 07:03AM

Jesus certainly would not want a mass baptism, where a big speech was given, extolling a cult formed by a con-man, to get money from members, and which at one time promoted polygamy and polyandry as a commandments of God. There's hardly anything about the Mormon cult that God would approve of.

I'm an ex-Mormon, and I refuse to go to the mass baptism for my grandchild. Ordinarily, it would have been in June, but my grandchild isn't important enough for the Mormons to heat and light the building and fill the font. No, she also has to wait until the July 4 baptism. If I do go, I will see the actual baptism, and congratulate her afterwards, then leave, before the recruitment preaching and lies begin.

It might make the child think, years later, that maybe he/she did NOT choose the baptism out of free-agency. He/she really did not know what the cult was all about. He/she should have joined the rest of the family at the 4th of July barbecue, instead of sitting and listening to boring blabbing and dumb songs.

Begin the barbecue early, then excuse the child and whoever else wants to go to the baptism. Keep on having fun, and when the baptizers return to the party, tell them about the fun and games with prizes they missed, and sorry, we're all out of cake, and the ponies had to go home. This would work in my family, because, finally the ex-Mormons out-number the Mormons--at last.

Sorry you have to put up with this. Maybe you will change your mind, and tell the idiots that your child is going to wait until the age of 18, when he knows more about the history and ever-changing teachings of the cult.

Date: March 08, 2015 08:33AM

yah, you pointed out something that was part of my deal. As I dared to postpone my daughter's baptism so grandparents could be there, I was deemed as being disrespectful and undermining the significance of the sacred event, HOWEVER, we were not supposed to feel slighted and /or that the event had been grossly cheapened for us as it was handled by the grossly impersonal push them through like branding cattle stake mass baptism.

Once again, we see how everything that the church wants to do, no matter how cheap, sleazy, underhanded, insulting is just great. But if a member needs a little personal accommodation/ consideration, then they are jamming up the works and being disrespectful. Well, they do not have to worry about ever having to accommodate me again, because I do not go to their stupid church anymore.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 09:55AM

to be. It was close to the holidays (a week before Thanksgiving), so we waited until after the new year. I know that my parents had me baptized and my brother blessed at the same time, and it wasn't the exact date we supposedly should have been baptized/blessed. It seems to me that many people arranged it around THEIR schedules, so some kids are baptized a month or two later, same with babies and blessings.

For someone above, they said they thought you were baptized the Saturday after your 8th birthday. I think they have one baptism session a month on the first Saturday and all the kids who turned 8 the prior month are baptized.

Also, from what I remember, they do all the speeches, etc., BEFORE the baptism so you can't escape the indoctrination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 09:56AM by cl2.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:02AM

I actually like it the more unreasonable TSCC gets. It just puts another item on people's shelf. I think the church does it to enforce its power and that may work for some people but for others who are starting to question, it is a poor strategy.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 10:53AM

Just so you know, the 4th of July is the BIGGEST EVENT in the state of Utah, the whole week leading up to it, and even in June. The day has balloons, parade, all kinds of crap;. then the stadiuum of fire....It is HUGE here, so I can't imagine they would schedule baptissms on that day here.

I can't imagine why they would do that anywhere in the United States So tell them that, that it is the biggest holiday in utah, and you are going to celebrate it that way.

Or that you are going to Utah, or something like that. Or do it yourself. You just have to say those 3 things Im female and I can say that prayer by heart:)

that is such blllshite. really. stupid church. Oh, of courseif the 4th is on sunday then everything changes t the 5th of July or the 3rd, which to me is assinine too. I guess that's what i get for living in Utah.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 02:02PM

When I was growing up in UT it was the 24th (Pioneer Day) of July that was the big deal. The 4th was minor in comparison. Has that changed??

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 06:48PM

gettinreal Wrote:
> When I was growing up in UT it was the 24th
> (Pioneer Day) of July that was the big deal. The
> 4th was minor in comparison. Has that changed??

No - not as of about July 24th, 1989.

In Utah County you almost didn't know Independence Day even happened (it was DEAD).

In the 24th people gathered in Camden drove down Center Street (getting places for the parade the next morning).

As we were standing there, at about 2am(?), I pointed to a night shift truck that drove by (I had worked for that city department the year before and was just pointing at the truck to my friends) and the passenger flipped us off!

We three jumped in the car - me in the passenger seat in the back - and made chase (at the driver's command).

We caught up with them trying to turn left on State Street, attempting to go across the bridge that was blocked!

Another bitch was flipped and we found ourselves right next to them again at about 5th North on State.

The trucks passenger had his window down and so did our driver, who lit a bottle rocket.

It shot away... entering the other truck's threshold, landing on the dashboard, still burning, as I looked back.

The driver slammed on the brakes!, stopping in the left lane in the middle of the road.

We turned our necks around to see the whole cab of the truck light up. I would have had my hands on my ears, and eyes, and my head quite ducked, if that were me.

It was quite a sight to witness.

I had no idea the driver lit a bottle rocket until after it took off!

Yea, the only part of Pioneer Day I remember that year. I am sure the other guys do too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 06:53PM by moremany.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 02:29PM

The 224th is really just SLC.. The 4th is Utah county, but huge. I know at some point it was the largest fireworks display in the country.

They have a fancy magazine that comesout, as thereis so many things to do throughout june also.

Defininitly bigger than the 24th,and morefun.

People have to work on the 24th, unless you work for a mo. So yeah, I think it's much bigger. I havenevvereven done24th stuff in the 30 years I have lived here. Borrrrrring!!

And i hate how they do baptisms. The assembly line. Utah of course they have so many, but I don't know why they would have to do it that way anywhere else.

I was baptized in 1975, with a lady who worked att the A&P store and was a convert. Just her and I. I picked the music. That was in Bloomfield hills michigan though. I wonder what they do now? Pretty much people have stopped inviting me to their kids baptsism. That is fine with me. My son missed out thank goodness, we left when he was six.

Date: March 08, 2015 06:32PM

FREE AGENCY is taken away!

Let's all wear red, white and blue!!!

Red for the women!
Blue for the men!
White for children!

Black for the trousers, white for the shirt, red for the tie, grey for the hat...

We all celebrate this momentous occasion today that these young boys and girls have chosen to join the ranks of the few, the delicate, the trusting, the dumb (Mormons don't tell secrets), to come along with us, and take this plunge into the DARK, sacred, diffiCULT mirage of mankind's making we call the (great playful) 'family' [of Mormonism].

We are so glad you all could join us... on this day of liberty, as what we think of this freedom, this religion, this way of worship will save us, and cost us, if it doesn't first make us crazy.

We baptize these children (so we won't be alone)... so they can slide straight into hell, with us - that they cannot think for themselves from this day forward. A' men!

M@t

P.S.> not from "The Garlic"

Bulletin -- From THE "Church" of Jesus Christ (I am NOT taking the name in vain - it capitalized 'not', I didn't... and I didn't even yell - I'm like give me a break Jesus Christ is not in this church) of Ladder Dazed S[ain'ts]:

Sorry y'all - we don't segregate, tell you what to wear, how to pray, what to think or what to drink, (I mean, caffeine is okay and legal now that Mitt ran for pres. in 2012 [we haven't said anything except a little blurb, hidden, on our website we hope no one sees]), we don't tell you where you're going or what you must do to get there (or do we?), we don't force your family to join our [mind] clubs, or force you and your family to do work for free (except "callings", missions - even ward missions - remember everybody a missionary and teacher (home and/or visiting teaching) [at your own expense, of course] , volunteer janitorial, "tithes" [giving free, untaxable income - that you have already pay taxes on - to the church] and "fast 'offerings'"...), - there must be some confusion... we say one thing and do another. We are Mormons! What do you expect? OXY-mor(M)ons

Now a little joke and a few quotes to end things, by a few wise, noble and creative characters.

Sign seen on a local Mormon Church:

"Want Christlike?
Go somewhere else!"

(From moremany
OKA, M@t)

Don't forget where you heard it first! Tune in from time to time. Never thirst!

An apropos quote:

"The cure for boredom is curiosity;
There is no cure for curiosity"
_Dorothy Parker

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 08, 2015 11:00PM

That's crazy! They could always schedule it for the week or month after! What a way to ruin Independence Day! Stupid cult!

But then the morg ruining Easter too in a few weeks. That's when their having boring and dull General Conference!

Date: March 09, 2015 12:35AM

BeerAtMoessers Wrote:
> ... the stake's official day for baptisms for the month of July: Saturday July 4th.
>
> How stupid are these people???

Where is this stupid stake?
(Is it assumed its in Utha?)

Sorry about the pronunciation.
Or... maybe I spelled it right.

They are celebrating more than pr that day. One reason is so you will remember what day you were baptized.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.