Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:21PM

BoM vs. New Testament Smackdown.

Class, go.....

My opinion: zip, zero, nada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:26PM

well to be fair, the idea was that he was supposed to be teaching the same stuff.

Personally I can't think of anything, but that's probably because all the good stuff was 'too sacred to be written' (the part with the angels and children and stuff). That or it's all made up.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:38PM

Exactly, then why the "Fullness of the gospel"?

By definition, 'gospel' (God-spell) is pertaining to the life, revelations, and teachings of Jesus Christ.

So we're going to call things like D&C 132 the "gospel"?

Yes, TBM's, yes we are....

Posted by: thegoodfight ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:09AM

It is only full of crap. It contains nothing more.

Gospel simply means good news. At the time (BCE/CE) there were many gospels including the Gospel of Caesar. Caesar even had an advent. These are/were not unique. It was the message of the peasant rabbi that was.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 02:50PM

I can think of one thing which is added - though I don't know whether it related to any teaching of Christ. The added item? answering an early nineteenth century question: the age of baptism. Wow! The Bible is unclear. But at the time of Joseph Smith, it had become an issue with some sects claiming it could only be done for people who were of sufficient age to make a commitment. Other groups baptized infants with a confirmation when they came of age. The issue still resonates at times but JS solved the problem before he declared himself the super prophet, by creating a new text, a fraudulent scripture.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 12:16AM

The Bible relates only "believer's baptism," that is, people who have consciously professed their faith in Christ. Nowhere does the Bible report or endorse the baptism of infants, young children, or forced/coerced baptism.

As a Baptist, I describe it as "a public ceremony* proclaiming an inner transformation of a consciously believing (and understanding) person."

*or, if you wish, a "ritual." But I think "ritual" is a loaded and often misunderstood word.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 03:49PM

Well it would appear the most glaring revelation about New World Jesus is his very nasty temper.

Clearing out the Jerusalem temple was a peaceful protest compared to the raging destroyer that shows up in Nephi 3.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 04:45PM

Being crucified messes with a guy's head

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 08:47PM

The BoM Jesus seems like an angry, alcoholic Jesus. So, I think you're on to something. He tried the loving, forgiving, kind Messiah thing in Palestine and it got him crucified. Screw that--Katy, bar the door! Blow up some shit.

Date: March 09, 2015 04:58PM

Yeah, no more barefoot water skiing with holey feet.

He was bummed.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 05:38PM

Check out 3 Nephi 20 and 21, detailing the terrible vengeance that lies in wait for Gentiles who don't believe in the Book of Mormon. Definitely not in the Gospels, that stuff.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 09, 2015 06:15PM

There's a whole chapter explaining the "name" of the church and just why that is so important. And the name wasn't Corp-of-the- president, or ensign-peak-advisors inc, lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2015 06:15PM by poopstone.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:21AM

The christ in America, the gospel in America. I'm riding my horse back to Spain. Catching a donkey to Nazareth. sending a postcard to Judea. Sending an email to Rome. Nvm. I'll just change the definition of church.
Come join the church of Lucifier. A magical imortal that is make belief, unlike his little brother. A magical land made up be belivers. A land that discriminates against lies. We have reason to beleive, a burning in consciousness.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:32AM

Referencing John 10:16 "other sheep have I that are not of this fold; them must I also bring and they shall hear my voice."

3 Nephi 15 and 16 elaborate that this mean the Nephites and the rest of the lost tribes.

Another interesting tidbit, 3 Nephi 16 also talks about the gentiles being destroyed in the latter days by the Nephites/Lamanites if they don't repent.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 02:32AM

Referencing John 10:16 "other sheep have I that are not of this fold; them must I also bring and they shall hear my voice."

3 Nephi 15 and 16 elaborate that this mean the Nephites and the rest of the lost tribes.

Another interesting tidbit, 3 Nephi 16 also talks about the gentiles being destroyed in the latter days by the Nephites/Lamanites if they don't repent.

Posted by: Purple Turnips are real ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 04:17AM

The New Testament adds the wonderful concept of us being eternally burned in Hell if we don't accept a false messiah as being God himself, which he was never intended to be by his own people ....

I hope nobody takes any of that NT BS seriously.... oh,wait.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 09:21AM

Through example, he taught us that a religious movement that is based upon a flash in the pan cannot last. Only two hundred years later the whole religion was lost. That means it must have started losing its steam not long after the miraculous event.

Compare to the three years he spent carefully guiding his disciples and followers. The steady growth over those same two hundred years shows clearly that a belief system based upon clear and steady teaching and example will fare much better than one based on a singular event.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 07:23PM

Morgbots added the Masonic Temple rites. polygamy and Baptism for dead people. Stuff that the New Testament forgot about! lol

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: March 10, 2015 08:49PM

Nothing about that goofy stuff in the BoM. My opinion? The BoM was written as Bible fan fiction, but not too heretical. If the gullible could first be made to find it plausible that the BoM was actually Scripture... then they have to accept the prophetic prowess of Joseph Smith. And then we get real crazy... Kolob, polygamy, baptism for the dead expounded upon, you name it.

Date: March 10, 2015 09:05PM

Yeah, that used to bug me as a lad that I was expected to go forth and defend a surly Savior that preached nary a forgiving Sermon on the Mount but who blew up the mount instead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.