Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zelpha ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 09:43AM

As a TBM I was convinced that if I stood only in "holy places" and surrounded myself with only "the best people" then my path of happiness would be paved. So I got in the habit of avoiding 99% of life because everything and everyone seemed evil.

I've been out of TBM for nearly 4 years, and although I know I'm free to explore life now, I still subconsciously avoid things & people, and feel a sense of righteousness and "greater rewards on the horizon" for avoiding things.

Help, my life is passing me by and I'm missing out on a lot of experiences and knowing a lot of fascinating people and forming rich bonds with people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 11:05AM

I'm an atheist, but...

Notice how in the bible, the Jesus character hangs out with anything but the "best people." He's said to have spent time with the tax collectors (hated at the time), prostitutes, low-lifes, poor people, etc.

Notice how, in the mormon church, they tell you to do the opposite.

How about that.

Date: March 18, 2015 11:22AM

Well Jesus was impervious to sin, he only served to strengthen others. The concept of surrounding ourselves with the best of people in the best of places is based on the understanding that generally we are who we surround ourselves with. But still this has crippled me because there is sin everywhere, so what do I do, just stay home and pray all the time? Sick sick sick.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 11:34AM

"... those who have genuine faith in Christ will want to follow Him and do the kinds of works He did, such as helping the poor and needy, caring for the sick, visiting the lonely, and showing good will and love to all people."

( http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/jesus-christ )

Just pointing out their hypocrisy, they don't follow even their own teachings.

Date: March 18, 2015 12:01PM

There is not much sin in being poor, needy, sick, or lonely. But even TBMs know that those people aren't much fun to hang out with :-P

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.