Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 07:04PM

I look at the definition and have no problem with it.
As long being amoral doesn't mean the lack of empathy or compassion for others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 07:35PM

Hmm.
Well, I don't see any "objective" morality. So in that sense, sort of yes; there isn't any objective or absolute "right or wrong," so I don't concern myself with objective or absolute right or wrong.

However, as far as what's best for humans and our planet, or myself and my family, there *are* clear things that are smart and reasonable ("right"), and stupid and unreasonable ("wrong").
So in that sense, I do concern myself.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 07:46PM

Amoral would generally mean 'without moral.' Immoral would mean 'not moral.' They're not synonymous. Immorality requires one to define morality first. In the LDS context, drinking coffee is immora; in the Muslim or Jewish context, eating bacon is immoral. Outside of religion, the same arguments can be made. For a vegan, eating meat products may be considered immoral. And so on.

As far as OP's question goes, I occasionally make amoral decisions. As an example, I once took a contract to provide services for the county chapter of the opposition political party of the one I belonged to. Assisting them might be considered 'amoral,' but such is the way the cookie crumbles. Businesses will often lay people off -- such decisions will often happen outside of a moral context, as business is concerned with ethics and legalities, not morality.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 08:35PM

Actually, and this gives me pause for thought, I have acted in ways that might be considered amoral and immoral, too.

Oh, well.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 11:26PM

I'm perfect. I am without sin.

I never, ever do anything amoral, or immoral.

Yeah right. :-P

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 20, 2015 11:30PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.