Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: terrydactyl ( )
Date: March 18, 2015 09:44PM

Probably be posted many times before but I thought you'd like a refresher.

How many do you recognize?

--Deception
A cult needs to recruit and operate using deception. Why?
Because if people knew their true practices and beliefs beforehand then they would not join. A cult needs to hide the truth from you until they think you are ready to accept it.

--Exclusivism
A normal religious organization would not have any trouble with you moving to another similar organization as long as you stayed in that same religion. Because it is the belief system that matters, not membership in an organization. For example if you were a Christian then you could move from one church to another and still be a Christian.

--Fear & intimidation
Cult leadership is feared. To disagree with leadership is the same as disagreeing with God.
...Guilt will be used to control you. Maybe the reason you’re not making money is because you’re not “with the programme”. Maybe the reason you’re not able to convert new recruits is because “your heart is prideful and full of sin”.

--Love Bombing
When you first go to a cult they will practice “love bombing”, where they arrange instant friends for you...But you soon learn that if you ever disagree with them, or ever leave the cult then you will lose all your new “friends”.

--Information Control
Cults also try to cut you off from your friends and family because they hate others being able to influence you....Only information supplied by the cult is true. ...cult calls it “apostate literature” and will expel you from the group if you are caught with it.

--Reporting Structure
“The walls have ears”. Everyone is encouraged to watch out for “struggling” brothers and sisters and report what they see to leadership.
...People in a mind control cult will also hide their true thoughts and feelings, and instead wear a mask which presents them as a perfect cult member.

--Time Control
Mind control cults keep their members so busy with meetings and activities that they become too busy and too tired to think about their involvement.

from "how cults work"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 12:17PM

Yup. TSCC fits the bill.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 01:04PM

there are a whole lot more signs.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2015 01:15PM

The regular ward experience isn't as extreme and fitting the description of cultism depends on individual experience and opinion.

Posted by: disenchanted ( )
Date: March 21, 2015 04:56PM

Is there a list of the controlling techniques commonly used here on this site? I just started thinking of some I hadn't considered before. For example, the bishop's sec called to set up an appointment with my husband. Of course, when asked for the reason, the secretary claims he doesn't know the reason why. To me this is a controlling technique. The person being requested to come doesn't know why, is expected to make time and say yes to the mystery reason, but is automatically placed in a compromising position. The bishop exercises he 'authority' (aka control), the person submits, but then can't gain equal footing by preparing for the appointment. You are left to guess... Is it a calling, did I do something wrong, do they want to review past sins, is it because of my unbelieving spouse. Of course NO ONE is thinking, awe gee shucks- they just want to tell me how great I am! It is like one is forced into a review of their life while anticipating the meeting. I think it is degrading, and a form of a power play. I am not even sure if the local bishoprics are aware of how controlling this maneuver is since it is so traditionally done. OK so I have the 'scheduling appointments without giving the why' as one of these tactics. I would like a list of the others you can all think of. Should this be a new post, is there and older post with a good list already? I am new, what say ye!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 04:59PM by disenchanted.

Posted by: disenchanted ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 11:14PM

That was funny =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.