Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toad ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 03:02AM

http://www.moroni10.com/mormon-church-history.html

I'm so irritated I don't know where to begin. Hypocrisy at it's core.

edit: must be trending today. I saw anot her thread already started. Oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 03:07AM by toad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 03:27AM

What are we supposed to be looking at?

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 04:06AM

Well, reading "Joseph Smith was unable to translate..." May I suggest he couldn't translate, for a while, because Emma had stolen his crib sheet and when he asked for her forgiveness she gave it back then he went upstairs to continue his con.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:09AM

OK, check this out: TBM's talk about how perfect the prophet was, and apologists, when confronted with the truth, concede that he was just an imperfect vessel chosen by God like many other prophets, but they both can't be true, so you'd think this passage would be proof that this "strict Lord" would be PO'ed if JS was being a jerk and take away his "powers":

"At times when Brother Joseph would attempt to translate he would look into the hat in which the stone was placed, he found he was spiritually blind and could not translate. He told us that his mind dwelt too much on earthly things, and various causes would make him incapable of proceeding with the translation. When in this condition he would go out and pray, and when he became sufficiently humble before God, he could then proceed with the translation. Now we see how very strict the Lord is, and how he requires the heart of man to be just right in his sight before he can receive revelation from him."

So which is it: perfect or flawed? I think the early true believers who then witnessed what he was really like and went on to say he was a fallen prophet would be the truthiest storytellers.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 11:46AM

OK, more nonsense, one the 3 and 8 witnesses, David Whitmer says (when he is rather elderly, to be fair) that he was shown, *by an angel* the plates, a bunch of other plates, the Sword of Laban, Liahona, blah blah blah, then says that a couple days later *JS* showed the plates to the 8 witnesses. And unlike the famous picture, he said they were shown the plates in JS' house! That does make more sense since they'd just finished the "translation", so you think someone would have seen them by them anyway.

Why the difference in ownership? Who had the plates, Joe or "Heaven"? And why the mention of all the other stuff? Did Oliver Cowdery mention the plates and Liahona, etc...? Did he mention that the angel said the BoM translation was "correct"? Correct, huh?

People forget that all these guys were in their mid-20's, not the wise, established, serious men that TSCC implies they were.

OK, OK, I know we all have read and know the FAIR stuff covering this, but grrrrr.....

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 12:58PM

Okay. I read the one about Leo Tolstoy. The post quotes Tolstoy chiding the American ambassador for not knowing about the American religion, Mormonism. This may all be true, Tolstoy wanted to know about the American religion. But the relevant story is that Tolstoy developed a correspondence with one of BY's daughters whom Tolstoy thought charming. The woman sent Tolstoy a copy of BoM, who read it and declared it "appalling." How is this faith-promoting again?

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 01:19PM

I thought the dog ate the golden plates.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 01:26PM

Xcuse me, what is so irritating here?
It is very entertaining.
I didn't know many of those absurdities before.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 02:02PM

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 03:26PM

Dude that's funny...my friend shared with me something from the same site.

Satan and the Logan Temple President

http://www.moroni10.com/mormon_history/logan-temple-devil.html

It's crazy about this story and that they just eat this stuff up. And my friend pointed out that he always pictured Satan as being a snappy dresser. Who knew?

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 04:34PM

My friend just posted that yesterday XD
I actually read it, for kicks.... It's hilarious they actually believe this stuff... and post the craziness on FB... They must not have any non-member friends to tell them how bat shit crazy they are

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.