Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:33PM

Get a load of Scientology (hint: Hubbard had a wilder imagination than Joe).

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/this-is-why-hbos-going-clear-has-the-church-of-scientology-worried/

Gotta-catch-the-HBO-documentary-ly yrs,

S

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:54PM

"Neither version of Going Clear is particularly sympathetic to the church, and both suggest that Scientology is more insidious than a kooky religion with good intentions and off-the-rails execution. As Gibney puts it, those speaking out now are "telling people the kind of damage that can be done by a group that puts itself above the welfare of the individuals within it.""

"A group that puts itself above the welfare of the individuals within it."

This is not uncommon to most organizations, but when it becomes fundamental. Essential to all, that is when it becomes religion. I think it is okay to sacrifice for a group. I do not think it is okay to indenture oneself for falsely fabricated reward.

My main rub comes with BIC to BIC cycle and I have yet to imagine or see a practical way to stop or inhibit programmed parents from forcing their children to be programmed.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:56PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 02:03PM

That BIC cycle is insidious and dehumanizing.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 03:18PM

Perhaps a the BIC to BIC cycle is challenged by a family member leaving. Many here talk of the varying levels of Mormon control in their family they also talk about the intensity of departure in the family.

I wonder what role waiting to resign or make public separation from Mormonism until all the right grandparents and parents die has in not allowing children and young adults know they can leave and not be the first in the family.

Such an interesting conversation to have on RfM.

Someone states they don't resign because it will hurt an elderly parent's feeling upset them. Others validate that as selfish or cruel thing to do to the elderly. What if you knew a niece/nephew, cousin would take courage in your open judgment and not go on a Mormon mission because he or she has seen another member of the family stand up to the religion of their Mormon parent and say, "No, thank you". Does the end of the BIC to BIC cycle have to be dealt with at that level?

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 04:36PM

Despite what I feel about the de-humanization of brown people (Lamanites) in the Mormon Church, it is nothing compared to the hatred I feel toward Scientology.

My dad got sucked into Scientology several weeks after he lost the love of his life of 35 years -- my mother. Needless to say, he was quite vulnerable at the time.

My Vietnam Vet brother went through their purification program to rid him of alcohol and drug addiction. My father got sucked in trying to support my brother in his treatment. My dad stayed in Scientology for several years.

A dear friend of ours also lost her life savings and family home to Scientology (a beautiful mansion on Miracle Mile in Los Angeles).

The mind control used in Scientology is not to be underestimated. It makes Mormonism look like child's play.

Two men strong-armed my dad -- forcing him to go to his bank and withdraw his life savings to donate it to the Scientology. Besides his life savings, he must have paid about 70K in auditing courses and Scientology books.

Dad turned from a funny, lovable and affectionate father into a cold hearted automaton. He became a virtual stranger. The Church advised him to stay away from me and the entire family because we were "suppressives."

Dad disappeared for a month. I did not know if he was dead and I was terrified. After frantic calling, I found out he was at Scientology headquarters in Florida. The church refused to tell me where he was or to connect me to his room. They did confirm he was there after much harassing on my part.

After dad turned over his life savings, hey humiliated and scoffed at him, telling him, "Mel you are nothing but a weasel, low life piece of shit. You are a nothing!"

He told me that he stood at the balcony of his hotel room and considered taking his own life after that.

L. Ron Hubbard used to take teens, children, older women and men, and keep them starving and filthy they were virtual captives, working on his boat for no pay. When they broke a small rule he would blindfold them, tie their feet together and their hands behind their back. Then he would terrorize them by throwing them into the roiling ocean. People would dive in to save them, but it was an inhumane thing to do.

Violence and virtual human trafficking is their calling card.
Mental abuse, peer pressure, and stalking is also their MO. Their have been dozens of deaths of people who threw away their lives to join their so-called church, who became ill and were denied medical treatment. There were forced abortions.

I thank the stars everyday that the internet was born.
The web will be the demise of Mormonism and of Scientology.

I yearn for the day that David Miscavage is thrown in jail or thrown out of Scientology in disgrace. I'd wish for worse if it didn't bring up such horrible memories and emotions.

And my father ... thankfully we convinced him to get out. But it took many months before the incessant phone calls, mailings and harassment ceased by Scientology.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 27, 2015 06:12AM

As some here may remember, I arrived at RfM after several years at xenu.org, the very wonderful Operation Clambake anti-scientology site.

Everything Senorita Lamanita says is true - and not exceptional. It is typical of the way they work, grinding people down and then emptying their pockets.

And, although Scientology's much younger than TSCC, there are now "BIC" scientologists, kids and even adults who have spent all their lives in the sick bubble that is Scientology, have only gone to Scientology schools, etc.

I hope your dad's OK.

Best wishes to you

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 06:12AM by Soft Machine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.