Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 01:22PM

Looking at TBM family members wedding photo. Noticed a couple of things about the dresses of the mothers of the bride and groom that gave a slight chuckle. Both TBMs but MOG is an uber-follow all the rules type and the MOB is a "follow enough rules to get a temple recommend and sty respectable but try to get away with as much as you can" type. First of all, they are wearing identical...IDENTICAL dresses. The only difference is that MOG has an insert or camisole in the necline of the low cut (but not revealing) dress. MOB did not go with the insert. The hemlines of both outfits are below the knee but really would look much better (and still fit rules of Mormon modesty)if they were just above. Here, MOB conformed to the length of her more "stuffy" counterpart which is really funny because a perusal of MOB's fb page shows that she won't be caught dead in anything that isn't daringly pushing the Mormon "above the knee" limits.

Just an observation but tells a lot about personalities and hypocrisy in tBM fam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 01:29PM

So mothers of the bride and groom dressed alike? Why not.

Date: July 02, 2013 01:36PM

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 01:30PM

So sad!

Years ago I went to on a beach trip with a group of fun single's ward members. I wore a bikini... party because at 5'10" a one piece would fit me more like a thong due to the wedgie! (this was the 80s and they didn't make long torso suits like they do now) And for another... I was a good girl and didn't think they'd judge. Oh, boy was I wrong. A few girls that didn't know me at all formed a "committee" around my beach towel. I told them to go and tell the same thing to all of the women within 50 yards and then I'd consider changing.

They didn't.

Then, all of my friends went out and bought bikinis!~ Awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 01:32PM by healyourpast.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 02:43PM

Well, I for one think it's really weird. REALLY weird!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:06PM

I guess it depends on which decades you lived in, and what the styles were for certain occasions.
In the 60's at BYU skirts were so short, guys made a game of counting how many girls undies they could see when they sat down at their desks!

In addition: there are many dress lengths: Ballerina,(right above the ankles), (probably evening attire), Cocktail Dress (below the knee),usually daytime wear, Floor length (often "sweeping"length), for formal wear, and so on.

It's very common to see a "Cocktail Dress" length in a daytime wedding/reception.

Generally the mothers wear similar dresses, the same color, the same length. They could wear the same dress.

The idea is to present a color coordinated affair, and be in line with the preferences of the bride and her customs.

The upshot?
I think it's easy to forget that the traditions in Mormon culture are often very specific in many cases, such as dress for weddings and receptions, just as it is in Japan, or India, for instance if they have traditional ceremonies.

The LDS community generally is going to be very conservative in how they dress for their traditional ceremonies and celebrations.
I just expect it! It's their traditions, their rules.

Fortunately, for me, wearing a long dress, to the neck and to the wrist was in style when I married in the temple and had been for some time. :-) I still have the dress! It was displayed at my 50th wedding anniversary party. I measured the waist, 24"! I had forgotten about how small I was! :-)

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:13PM

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 03:15PM

Could you just see it????

Two mothers have to wear the same dress and get a neutral color….like black…dressed as pilgrim mothers from a Thanksgiving play?

Or each “mature” Mother is covered head to toe in pink or baby blue chiffon?

Or both have a plunging neckline? Or a side slit up a floor length pencil shape skirt?

If I had worn what my daughters MIL wore to her first wedding I would have looked fat!
Her lavender dress draped over her mid-section in a very unflattering way! She’d been happily married for over twenty five years and hadn’t realized she’d hit the “middle age” spread of her midriff!

I endured the heat and wore an intense cobalt blue loose fitting ladies suit of long jacket and skirt. I looked okay and the jacket/skirt combo made me look slimmer than I was at the time. The intense blue would have made my daughters’ mother in law look ashen as a ghost. Not many can wear deep purpled blue!

I’m taller and dark haired and she’s round and pretty with mouse brown coloring We can not wear each others most flattering colors and a neutral color would be hard to find…let alone a style we could both wear…..maybe a burlap sack with a drawstring neckline?

Trust the Mormons to come up with matching mother of the bride and groom dresses…isn’t there enough tension between families? Do they have to add more? Or is this just more sheeple mentality at work?

Date: July 02, 2013 03:51PM

of course this is a no no. They aren't bridesmaids..they are individuals with their own tastes and styles. Dressing in identical dresses seems so...juvenile.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 08:43AM

My non-Mormon mother has done the "Mother of the ____" dress four times (three children, but one son remarried). She has never worn the same dress as the other mother--they'd both be appalled at the idea--but she has tried to "co-ordinate" with the other as to style, length, color, etc. The idea is to have a harmonious looking wedding party with no one sticking out like a a sore thumb.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:10AM

So if the Bride's colors are soft lemon yellow and pale peach....that hot pink halter top dress with the black lace and leopard trim would be out???? The six inch spike heels would be too probably.....

Date: July 03, 2013 11:49AM

I can't think of any women I know (besides Mormon) who would wear identical dresses. Likewise, one would always coordinate so as not to clash!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:30PM

I think it's a miracle that the mother of the bride shows up in an appropriate dress ever. Here's why:
1. She's menopausal
2. She's invited friends and family she hasn't seen for a while and she's gained weight.
3. She's working full time.
4. She's fighting with her daughter about stuff that doesn't matter.
5. She's fighting with her husband about money.
6. She can't stand the grooms mother.
7. What color is both dignified and matches the wedding and isn't black, which is her go to color.
8. At some Mormon weddings I've attended, She's PREGNANT.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 12:14PM

I appreciate the irony of the modesty panel on the more TBM of the mothers. I was absolutely relieved to ditch those dumb inserts or the traditional cami under absolutely every shirt with a v neck. I still layer with tank tops a lot, but usually because my tops have sheer material or are practically see-through. I haven't come to a point where I want my bra to show through my shirts!

My DH's grandmother wore a very modest dress to our wedding. It came to her knees. DH's mom chose it for her. Apparently, it wasn't long enough for the grandmother, and she fussed about it for a few months after that.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 12:37PM

My non-Mormon mom did coordinate with my SIL's mother when my brother got married. I'm sure she did the same when I married my ex, but I've blocked out much about that wedding. At my brother's wedding, the MOB wore purple, and my mom wore lavender but it still wasn't matching.

My youngest step sister just got engaged, and while I think it's disgusting, there's nothing I can do about it except rant about it here. She'd only been dating that guy for a couple of months at most, and is the last among her former mission companions to get engaged. The thing is that my mom will be a stepmother, so she doesn't have to do much coordination with the other mother, and since my mom isn't Mormon, if she's still expected to go, she'll have to sit with the other unworthies.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:29PM

Were those both maternity gowns?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 01:42PM

You know the old joke:

How can you spot a mormon wedding?

It's the one where the bride's not pregnant. But her mother is.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 02:12PM

Twinsies! Since all Mormon women are interchangeable baby factories; they may as well dress the same... Ugh.

This is simply tacky, to expect adult women to wear the same dress. Similar shade perhaps, exactly the same style? No. The uncomfortable looks on their faces in the photo would be more distracting than the bride and groom.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 03:10PM

I've got other things to worry about. To think about, for that matter.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 03:13PM

Anybody ever get married in the temple wearing camo (properly tailored and modest of course)? Just wondering......my bad...

RB

Date: March 26, 2015 05:41PM

Temple cammo? Hahahahaha! Doesn't everyone wear white?

Would temple cammo be white, gold, green silk (apron color) and little mirrors on your clothes? =)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 03:46PM

Either the two mothers wore the same thing by mistake, or they got together and planned, which is saying they are friendly and that's a good thing.

I despise weddings sometimes. They can bring out the ugliness in people. I literally would rather attend a good celebration-of-life service than a wedding.

Stupidity can occur in any religious or non-religious wedding.

My daughter's new in-laws (nevermos) met us for the first time on the wedding day. We have seen them since 3 times in 10 years. Not once have they ever uttered a hello -- not even at the wedding. They are frigidly cold and humorless people. And they are Hispanics like we are, so it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

The most insulting wedding I ever attended is when my friend and I went to a wedding together. My friend wore an off-white business suit.

Suddenly the bride's mother came to our table and started shouting at the top of her lungs that my friend was out-of-line for wearing white -- that it detracted from her virginal 20 year old daughter's bridal gown and all-white table and room decorations!

My Gawd. My friend was over 50, plump and matronly. Her suit was lovely and quite appropriate for any nice occasion. To think that this twit thought my friend's attire was detracting from the bride's special day was ridiculous.

We later found out that the bride hit her groom over the head with a Coke bottle because she didn't want to lose her virginity on her wedding night. High drama, harrumph!

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 04:54PM

When my stepdaughter got married (not Mormon), she specifically told the 3 mothers (mom, MIL, and me) to wear the color Champagne. Not my color but she asked so I did it. I had never heard of that before. This was a formal evening wedding.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 05:34PM

In nevermo culture, the dresses of the mothers will harmonize but likely *not* be the same in either color or style.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 26, 2015 07:14PM

Good grief. The mothers probably weren't allowed into the wedding ceremony, and the reception probably took place on a basketball court.

So many times, I've been tempted to bring a basketball to a Mormon reception, and start dribbling it around....

Date: March 26, 2015 07:27PM

And a ref whistle =)

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: March 27, 2015 12:13AM

About 2 months before my daughter was married, I finally met her fiance's mother and we hit it off. We're very much alike. We decided to shop together for our dresses. We both ended up liking the same dress, so then we were trying to decide who got to buy that one, and who had to keep looking. But, that seemed stupid to have to abide by some archaic rule that says women should be mortified to be seen in identical dresses. So, we both bought and wore the same blue dress. We weren't trying to be "cute," but rather we decided we could wear what we wanted without having to answer to "social convention."

Posted by: Needtovent ( )
Date: March 27, 2015 03:52AM

At my parents wedding my grandmothers showed up in the same dress, just different colored blues by accident. Then at my sisters wedding were wearing the same outfit (same top and skirt colors and styles not exactly the same). Again, by accident. I was actually disappointed when they didn't wear the same thing to mine!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.