Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:45PM

If you become an apostate at B.Y.U. you get expelled. Yet if you're a non-member, you can stay? What if you learn that J.S. was not a prophet and decide to join the Methodist Church? You get expelled?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/31/lose-your-faith-get-expelled-at-byu.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:51PM

Yeah...kind of odd for people who really push the freedom to change one's religion at their religious freedom project at the law school. Of course that is the freedom to change one's religion to Mormonism, not the other way around.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:10PM

There was some great information on this topic in a previous post a few months back. A website was created to show the current policy. (I will try to find it before hitting "Post message."

And here it is:

http://www.freebyu.org/

This information will blow your mind. I get that LDS students have lower tuition (subsidized by other members tithing), so if they leave the the LDS church, students should have to pay the same tuition as any other non-member.

But kicked out? Only an insecure institution would do that.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:33PM

I'm so thankful I never had a nudge to go there.

I avoided going to church college like the plague. Even as a TBM. No interest in being dunked in all that indoctrination, down to what clothes I could or couldn't wear on campus.

Now kicking people out today is no different than 25-30 years ago, was it?

It's always had rigid standards for its students to adhere to.

Yeah, tuition is about as low as any state college for active LDS. It's also very competitive to get into BYU for grades and SAT scores.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:37PM

I'm just surprised that all of those students have to stay in the closet on their beliefs. It's like that one student who wanted his roommate to guess his secret, the roommate guessed he was gay, not atheist.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:44PM

Seems like a policy Jesus would implement. What a joke.

Interesting about guessing the roommate was gay. This is proof that TBM's will believe ANYTHING about anyone wanting to leave. Even that someone may be gay who is straight is more logical to a TBM than someone not believing the "church" is true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 05:46PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 05:49PM

Non member students are viewed as fair game for conversion....apostate students are regarded as the spawn of Satan who must be expunged ASAP so as not to allow them to spread their dangerous ideas.....JMHO>

Ron Burr

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 12:21AM

It seems like all you would need to do is to find someone who left their previous religion to join the mormon church, and then who did not get kicked out of BYU for changing their choice of religions. Then find a catholic priest or methodist minister who would sign the eccliasistical endorsement form for you. Then find an attorney who will take your case. Then lastly, resign your mormon church membership. Turn in your new eccliasistical endorsement on the same day, along with a letter re-affirming your commitment to live the honor code. Along with those things, turn in a letter from your attorney, promising legal action against BYU if you get kicked out of school or evicted. Then watch the shit hit the fan. Either the church and the school leaves you alone or they end up losing a lot of money in court.

You can't be legally discriminated against for housing or educational opportunities because you've changed your personal religious convictions. Non-mormons who convert to mormonism while attending BYU are not descriminated against this way. The law can not favor one religion over others. The church would lose on this issue in court.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.