Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:44PM

I don't have any legit excuses. I would go alone because my husband doesn't attend church functions and it starts early, so I wouldn't take the kids. It's an hour away, so close enough that distance isn't an out. This isn't their 1st baby, nor 4th for that matter, they have a big family. Is the blessing really a big obligation that the siblings should go and support? Another option might be to drive straight to their house for the brunch they're having after the blessing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:50PM

The message to Mormons might be that you're supportive of their church and might want to be more involved.

Attending the family event after would be a good way to show love for baby and family and have a good time.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:51PM

It really doesn't matter if you feel obligated or not. It's what you decide to do that counts. And how you decide it.

My personal preference is to attend functions like this one, even if I am in severe disagreement, because I believe that the human connection (in this case, being with family) trumps organizational disfunction.

When the MC says 'we are gathered here to blah blah blah' I just say to myself, 'well, not all of us are here for that reason.'

The only way to eventually have influence in other people's lives in the future is to have connection with them now.

Regards,

JAR

Date: March 31, 2015 07:07PM

I used to feel this way. I'm becoming bitter and I'm not very old either!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:53PM

Your only obligation is to yourself. However, if you're not being there would cause a lot of family problems you may want to take the easier way out and just play the stupid game and go.

I personally feel it would be a bit tacky to go to the brunch without having been at the blessing, but that's just my opinion.

Date: March 31, 2015 11:52PM

The last baby blessing I went to, for their second to youngest baby I was late. I listened to the blessing in the foyer and went in after.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:54PM

How close are you to these people and how much do they want you there? If you are close and not going would hurt them, I would probably go since it is close.You ont have to.stay.for the whole three hour block. If not, I think going to the brunch or sending a nice gift with your excuses would be fine.

Date: March 31, 2015 06:11PM

Good questions. I used to be closer to them (or at least thought so.) We had a brief falling out three years ago. The relationship that I have with him now is superficial. We basically just talk about our kids. I would be missed if I didn't go
Not sure anyone would say anything. They didn't say anything when I missed one of their baby blessings.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:51PM

Under those circumstances I wouldn't bother to attend. Sounds like you wouldn't enjoy yourself anyway. Watch a good movie at home. I'm sure you will have a lot more fun.

As I said previously, your only obligation is to yourself.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:15PM

No obligation whatsoever, in my view. You may want to go or may not. It's entirely up to you. It also depends on what you want to accomplish by attending or not attending.

I probably wouldn't bother with it. Send a little gift.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:22PM

Baby isn't going to care and won't remember it to hold it against you.

Posted by: YBU? ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 07:53PM

I have never felt that the blessings were any big deal. I come from a big BIC family and the nieces and nephews blessings were just not that important. I would say save your "do the right things" for the baptisms (yuck, I know) and the farewells and the dumb wedding receptions.

And you can always hope there will be a complete dismantling of tscc in the meantime and you will be saved from any of them. That's what I keep hoping for!!

Date: March 31, 2015 11:49PM

Yes, I'm already mentally preparing myself for all the baptisms. :p And they're coming up soon, the oldest's will be next year. I'd rather go to a baptism because, yes, at least they will remember me in the audience!

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 12:09AM

Blessings are early on in the meeting. Leave afterwards.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 12:22AM

Would your brother go to your child's catechism confirmation or bar mitzvah or school graduations? If you had a family summer barbecue, would he want to be there? It all depends, doesn't it.

With Mormons, money can usually buy your way out. Mail a gift or a nice card with a check inside. That's what I do for Mormon weddings--anything to avoid standing in line for an hour, and have people ask me personal questions.

If you find yourself sitting in a sacrament meeting, do what the Mormons do--take along your i-phone, and write to-do lists, read, or play that candy game.

Don't risk your sanity.

If you do go, don't be late again, and be low profile.

When I feel I absolutely have to go to a Mormon family thing, it is usually an hour away in Provo, and I like to plan something fun for before or after, such as meeting a friend for coffee, shopping at my favorite store, or walking along the Provo River. Make a fun outing for yourself.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 05:47AM

I'm confused.

Do you want to go? If you do, then go.
Do you not want to go? Then don't go.
Do you want to go to the food function? Then go to the food function.

The bigger issue here is that you feel unable to make such a simple decision for yourself. That's the Mormonism in you conjuring up all sorts of self recrimination and anxiety.

Posted by: -\|/- ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 05:49PM

If your nephew was a Catholic/Methodist/Anglican, would you attend his christening. I really do not see why the answer to your question should be different to the answer to mine. If someone talks to you about something that you are not interested in then try talking about something that does. In short, behave like a human and treat those around you like humans.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 06:04PM

I think it depends entirely upon how close you are to the family, and how close you *want* to be to the family. Personally, with so many nieces and nephews, I would not feel obligated to attend. A small gift and a card would be nice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.