Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Visitor001 ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 06:41PM

Hey Everyone!

A few days ago, I had a conversation with a Mormon friend who recently became a father to a healthy baby boy. He made an offhand comment about insurance not paying to cover the circumcision, so I asked why he had it done. I expected him to say something about how circumcision is more hygienic or that he wanted his son to look like him ... but to my great surprise he said "It's just something Mormons do."

It's not my intention to start a debate about the merits or morality of circumcision, I simply want to know if it is something the LDS Church requires of its male members. I can't imagine that going down well in Latin America.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 06:59PM

I don't know if it's required.
I do know that in the US, it IS something mormons do.
It was done to me.

I asked my still TBM mom, when I was 35, why she had me circumcised. Took her a minute to get over the shock of me asking such an "inappropriate" question. I asked again. Her response?
"I don't know. Everyone did."

(SLC, born there 1960)

Don't think, just follow. Sigh.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:23PM

Or it used to be.
Common practice, and not just for Jews.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:05PM

It was a common thing done to most boys in the past. I'm Canadian, athiest, and I was genitally mutilated. When our boy was born 13 yrs ago, they no longer did it, unless you insisted upon it. I think it was a medical trend awhile back, and maybe wasn't specific to religion or area. That's my perceptions about it. My mom said the same thing ... everybody did it, doctors recommended it, etc, etc. Now, that's changed. Go figure.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:11PM

Though circumcised, I am not circumscribed. I'm outta control.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 08:37PM

You're circumcised from the front, but circumscribed in the rear. After all, all truth may be circumscribed into one great hole.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:17PM

Born in 1948. Intact, as is my son and grandson. Circumcision is barbaric. JMHO.

RB

Posted by: slcnomo ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 08:46AM

You are sounding like a know it all. Like a mormon. I am glad I am for many reasons...

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 08:51AM

It is barbaric. Peeling off part of a baby's genitals with no anaesthesia or pain medicine or consent. What is right about this practice? Let it die.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:21PM

Medical opinion on circumcision ebbs and flows. It's now being recommended - http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/12/03/368008742/cdc-considers-counseling-males-of-all-ages-on-circumcision

Posted by: ThatLittleBriggyWentWeeWeeWee ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:32PM

The American Pediatric Association came out with a new recommendation in 2008 and said that if it is not your religious or cultural belief, then it is NOT recommended to circumcise. I had my son right before this policy change and spent a lot of time researching what I thought was the best thing to do. I decided not to, with my decision mostly based on the fact that there are no more health risks and only rare exceptions with health risks. I also just couldn't bring myself to have it done to my son. In the East Coast it's not as common to circumcise though and my hospital only did about half the time (one of the largest hospitals in the country). My Mormon friends were all shocked, however; with one even thinking it made me a bad mom. Shrug. I don't judge if others choose to circumcise their kids or not. What business is it of mine. Kinda weird for an grown adult to sit around and think about other adults' children's penises. Scary and idiotic, actually.

Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 08:57AM

Ummm, no. Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics said in 2012 - "Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks and that the procedure’s benefits justify access to this procedure for families who choose it."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/130/3/585.short

Date: April 08, 2015 09:38AM

European doctors would sing a different tune. There is no reason to force this on a baby. To put an open wound on a child's genitals that will be in a diaper? For what? Condoms prevent STDs. There is water and historically how many men have died from being intact? There is just no reason to not let a man decide if he wants to be cut as a man.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 09:48AM

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/DOC/statement12.html

This article had some interesting perspectives on circumsized Dr's in America making value judgments on circumsision, the nation where circumcision was once nearly universal. Anyway, just another point of view to read.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:23PM

If you didn't circumcise Mormon men, they wouldn't be able to talk-or see!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:38PM

Yeah, that's just one more thing I'm pissed about. Did it ever occur to these idiots that if males weren't intended to have foreskin they would have been born without it?

Abraham and god can keep the whole damn "covenant" bullshit to themselves and leave innocent babies alone.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 10:32PM

+1000

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 12:04AM

I assume you have dental work and hopefully mix in some soap and toothpaste as well. I even clip my nails, and cut my hair, despite what nature would have me result in. And I got a vasectamy when I was done having kids, barbaric no?

Date: April 08, 2015 07:52AM

Hygiene? There is water. Every excuse people use to force circumcision on babies is stupid. There is no reason for it. Most men in the world are intact. If a woman is thick enough to reject someone like Charlie Hunnan for being intact or most of Europe and Asian i will not have any son of mine cut for her. I am sorry. It is peeling a baby and a lot riskier than leaving someone intact and letting them decide.

Plus Joseph Smith was intact. So why keep doing this?!

Posted by: still got it ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 08:45AM

Then you would also be promoting FGM, because whatever potential hygiene problems that men have, women have many times over. With men it's simple to stay clean. Do all men stay clean? No. Do all women? No. But an unclean woman is many times dirtier than an unclean man.

Date: April 08, 2015 08:53AM

Women have more folds and crannies than men do. And get more smegma. Cut a man and he still has to wash his penis and without foreskin it dries and gets callused

Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:45PM

A month ago, I asked a pediatrician what percent of parents request their boys be circumcised nowadays. He said it's roughly 50/50 in the medical group he's in (San Diego area). Other than the Jewish population, he said it's hugely popular with our military population.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 07:51PM

In a way, I'm surprised the church doesn't require circumcision, since intact males have to keep themselves clean by touching the penis, and they could say it leads to masturbation. In the past, even non-Mormons believed masturbation was a serious sin, and that circumcision was thought to reduce the urge. As it is, the culture itself still favors circumcision since it goes back to when most doctors recommended circumcision for boys for hygienic reasons. If Mormon culture starts to catch up with the rest of Western society, then I might see the church starting to require it.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 08:12PM

To give a direct answer to the OP:

No. It is not a religious requirement. That your friend said "It's just something Mormons do" speaks more to the fact that Mormons feel compelled to put every facet of their own lives into a church context.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 08:24PM

I couldn't circumvent it - though I'm sure I tried... kicking and screaming.

I circumspect Mormons thing no more about life than they do death.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 08:31PM

Knew someone who had a circumcision at 22 for medical reasons....not a job scene. I was done in 1959, can not say I remember it nor have any long term hangups about it happening.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 08:32PM

good scene.

Posted by: Bubba ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 10:28PM

I don't think it's really a Mormon thing. I was circumcised and my parents weren't LDS yet. I had my son circumcised and it had nothing to do with the church. Just a cultural thing. Also, a girl told me once that she would never give a guy a well 'you know' if he wasn't circumcised and that's all I needed to hear.

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 10:34PM

Growing up I remember a small percentage of the kids in my school not being circumcised. One of them is a TBM who is now a seminary teacher.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 10:51PM

No circumlocution by me, another vocal victim of primitive superstition based surgery.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 07, 2015 11:58PM

In my TBM family, who produced three boys in the 1930s and 40s, in a very Mormon town, they did not circucise the first one. They had a new, non-Mormon doctor for the second delivery, and that boy was circumcised. The third boy was not circumcised. They never explained why they did it or why they didn't do it.

A TBM niece who was living in Switzerland with her husband when her first boy was born was frantic that she couldn't get him circumcised. She finally found a Jewish mohel who was willing to do it. I have no idea why.

When my two sons were born in Utah in the 1950s, the hospital circumcised the first one without even asking. We insisted that the second not be circumcised.

Why would it be "a Mormon thing"? Moroni 8:8 says that circumcision as a religious rite was done away with in Christ.

Posted by: still got it ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 06:46AM

Going anon here when talking about my stuff. I am intact and so was my father. Just to say this: I know I'm not as experienced as many of the guys here, but 10 out of 10 women have loved it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 08, 2015 09:49AM

I'll never forget my little baby boy wimpering in his bed. I knew immediately what had happened. I'd never do it again if I had had any more children.

My boyfriend is not circumcised (though a Jewish convert). His mother felt it was a crime to cut a new baby who was born perfect. I wish I had been that smart.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.